Slurring speech

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Slurring speech

Postby ABryant20 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:38 pm

Hi Everyone
I am new to posting here but have lurked for a little while!
I have a very new diagnosis of Fibromyalgia.
I thought they were going to treat me for thyroid but as TSH is in range they wont even though T3 & Antibodies are out of range.
My GP had suggested CFS but when I went back to her folloewing seeing thyroid consultant she said fybro due to the amount of pain I suffer.
I currently take 40mg Citalopram in the morning and 25mg of amatripyline at night.

I had a bit of a funny turn this morning and I just wanted to know if it was normal for the condition or if I should go back to my GP.
I came over really tired at about 8am. I had been up since about 6.30 with my 3 yo daughter. I had eaten cereal for breakfast and a cup of tea and a coffee. I went upstairs and laid on bed. My partner says I almost stumbled in. He was then talking to me but I was finding it really difficult to respond. I was answering him but he said I was hard to understand and slurring a bit. I thought I was getting a nail file and filing my nails but I knew I wasn't really. I was almost dreaming. I really struggled to open my eyes. I can't remember any pain. After about 15-20 minutes it passed and not long after that I managed to get up and have a shower.

Also as an aside I have a sore tongue and have since Christmas eve! Is that normal?

Thanks in advance
Alison x
ABryant20
UKFM Newbie

Re: Slurring speech

Postby denys » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:20 pm

Hi and :welcome: to the forum, I've moved your post into here as its your first and so hopefully you will get more hits. You need to go back to see your GP asap, it may be your meds but I've been taking 40mg of citalopram for years and never had anything like you describe, but did do when I was on tramadol.

The sore tongue can be a side effect of meds too and if I remember rightly citalopram can be one of the culprits. We aren't medical professionals and therefore we always advise going back to see your doc to be on the safe side. Others have also had dodgy thyroid results so :dunno: could be FM related :dunno:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby fliss » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:29 pm

hi i too on startin taking citalopram felt like this,im now on citalopram 40mg in the morning and 50mg amitriptyline at night plus(morphine,gabapentin,dihydrocodeine,paracetamol)and other tablets for other things,these symptoms seem to be side effects to them but if ur worried see ur gp as every1 is different.my hubby even thought id been drinking i slurred so much.hope this helps xxxand hope u feel better soon xx :hugs:
fliss
UKFM Member

Postby ABryant20 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:34 pm

Thanks for replies

Have been on Citalopram of that dose for almost 12 months now and was on it before too (lower dose).
I have been on amatriptyline since mid november I think and 25mg since early december.
I have never had an episode like this before so thought it quite odd. It was likeI was asleep but not (a bit like the out of body experience I had when I had my blood transfusion! :shock: )

A mystery...
Thanks
ABryant20
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:36 pm

Definitely get it checked out :fingerscrossed: :goodluck1:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby blueeyes64 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:52 am

Hi the Amis make me feel like this.At around 8.30 am (depending when i took the tabs ) i feel uncontrolably drowsy and weak which seems to come on all of a sudden.I have to be careful as i started dropping off while driving which was very scary ! I find if i take them about an hour and a half before bed that i am better but the drowsiness usually catches me up later.Hope you figure out whats causing it x
blueeyes64
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:15 am

:welcome: to the forum Alison :wave: :wave:

There is lots of info and advice on here, hopefully you'll find some of it useful :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have had various bouts/attacks along the lines you've described. For me they were caused by a very rapid drop in my blood pressure, but there can be other reasons for them happening.

With it being something new, it's always better to have it checked out properly by a medical bod, if only for your own peace of mind.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:14 pm

:welcome: to the forum Alision. :wave:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby DJG88 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi

Always have everything checked out by the GP irrespective. I am not on the same medication as you, I however do slur my words, and sometimes I don't feel if I can say the words I am actually thinking. Sometimes it comes out all wrong, so I end up speaking very slowly or write what I want to say down before I say it. This usually occurs when I am really tired, or I have an episode. On Friday night I was in so much pain I sat in bed and stared at the TV trying to deal with the pain. Saturday morning I could not speak properly I slurred my words, my mouth only worked on one side. Anyone who didn't know me would have assumed I had been out on a bender the night before (I don't drink). For me slurring is part and parcel of the condition.

Take care
D
DJG88
UKFM Member

Postby fliss » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:04 pm

iv been slurring for the past hour mine is part of my fibro its because my doc has upped my gaba xx
fliss
UKFM Member

Postby ABryant20 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:18 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies.
So it sounds like its not abnormal.
Next time I go to the GP I will mention it.
Will be visiting this forum lots for info.
Thanks again x
ABryant20
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello