[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Fibro in your twenties??

Fibro in your twenties??

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro in your twenties??

Postby achybunny » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi

I am new to this website so thought i would say hello and introduce myself, and also I am wondering if anyone else is a similar age to myself or in a similar situation?

I am 23 and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and hypermobile joints a couple of months ago. Looking back i think i may have started with the symptoms in early teens, but last year I seemed to start with a massive flare up which still hasnt gone away. I have had to fight to be diagnosed and I dont think the stress of that has helped. My mum also has fibro so i knew quite a bit about it and recognised the symptoms quite a while ago as probably being fibro, however when the pain in my back got so bad, i decided to give up and go to the drs about it. It was first diagnosed as arthritis, but every time i asked could it be fibro i got laughed at and made out to be paranoid. One so called health proffessional even asked if i thought it may be "an idea in my head?". I have changed drs twice after their insensitivity has left me in tears countless times, and it has left me without much faith in the nhs. Eventually i was sent to see a rhuematologist who asked a few questions and diagnosed me straight away.

Since being diagnosed I feel i have got ALOT worse, and i dont know if its to do with the stress of going through all the apppointments, or if its because im more aware of what the aches are and therefore thinking about them more? Has anyone else found this?

I know i am incredibly lucky to have the amazing family that i do. Although i hate the fact that my mum has suffered with this for years, and i would do anything to stop her hurting and her pain, but i am so lucky to have her support and knowledge about the illness. She is my best friend, and im lucky that i have someone who really does understand. My partner is amazing too. We moved in together two years ago, been together three and got engaged last year. Hes read up about fibro, which i know is more than most men would do and gives me massages whenever the pain gets too bad. I work full time but despite my job being easy and my colleagues very accomodating towards me, i do find it hard at times.

The main problem is that i feel I cant be a normal 23 year old. Although i am happy with my life, have a great home life with a wonderful partner and an amazing family, i miss things like having a social life and meeting friends. Shopping is like torture for me with the walking round and carrying bags, going on a night out is only possible if i get hammered enough to not feel the pain as the standing around in heels is impossible. Even simple things like going to the cinema or for a meal, I have to carry a cushion round with me to make it more bearable and it makes me feel stupid. Im just wondering if anyone else finds this a problem? Its hard having fibro at this age as people dont seem to think young people can have aches and pains, but if only they knew!

Sorry about the essay, was meant to give a short introduction but theres something quite theraputic about writing about your life and experiences!

XX
achybunny
UKFM Newbie

Re: Fibro in your twenties??

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:33 pm

:welcome: to the forum achybunny :wave: :wave:

I've moved your post here with it being your intro so hopefully you should get more hits :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

There are a few members on here around your age, so you're not alone. I'm a fair bit older tho, it's just my mind hasn't, or maybe that should be won't, realised yet :facepalm: :facepalm:

How you feel is often affected by how stressed things are, how upset or relaxed you feel etc, so that could explain why you're feeling like you are at the moment. The fact that you are more aware of things as well can also play a part in things. FM is very unpredictable and vague, so when you think you've got a grip on things, it does something completely different just to throw you off balance again :facepalm: :facepalm:

There is a lot of useful advice and info on here, hopefully there will be some helpful bits in there for you. Anything you want to know about, just ask and we'll try to help you with it :wave: :wave:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:00 am

Hi Achybunny and :welcome: to the forum :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby BlueBell1 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:03 am

Hi achybunny!

I replied to your private message =)

Take care x
BlueBell1
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:12 pm

:welcome: to the forum achybunny :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby xMandiex » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:32 am

Hi achybunny,

I too am new to the forum, and am 21 with fibro. Was diagnosed to begin with at the age of 13, and went back to the docs a few weeks ago, and was re-diagnosed again with it (was a new docs so i presume they had to confirm it lol). Anyways, I have found too that I seem to feel the pain more now and was wondering like you if it was because I was more aware of it. Anyways, just wanted to let u know that u are not the only one in ur 20's with fibro and ur not on ur own :-D

xMandiex
xMandiex
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:00 am

:welcome: to the forum
more than double your age regards my body

and flup, same here, the mind doesn't seem to age parallel to the body

we come in all forms etc
glad you found the forum and glad you have a good supportive net

bye for now
lu
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby shelleydwales » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:11 am

Hi achybunny,
Welcome to the forum! :smile:
Xx
Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
Shell xxxx

Tomorrow is another day....be brave and smile :-)
shelleydwales
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:38 pm

:welcome: to the forum Mandie :wave:
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:07 pm

:welcome: to the forum Mandie :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby xMandiex » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:45 pm

Hi shazq and FluffyPuppy :wave:
xMandiex
UKFM Member

Postby achybunny » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:48 am

Hi Mandi

Thanks for your reply its good to know that im not alone. If you ever want to chat your more than welcome to message me. Take care xxx
achybunny
UKFM Newbie

Postby Carrie77 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi there. IM 26 and have 2 children. I feel recently like i have got so much worse, which adds to my hubbys idea its in my head arrrggghhh. ive got places that hurt that never affected me before etc. Also im still in the frame of mind of not letting other ppl see how bad i am and just battle through and hurt after but my views on that are changing now

I battle with docs constantly aswell and it drives me crazy xxx
Carrie77
UKFM Member

Postby achybunny » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:51 pm

Hi Carrie77

I know how you feel when it comes to drs. Gps just dont seem to understand and its frustrating as we need them to refer us to someone who can help. Have you thought about maybe changing? Im on my third in the past year but i think i might have found one whose half decent.
I really hope you manage to find a good one who understands soon.

Take care xx
achybunny
UKFM Newbie

Fibro in your twenties??

Postby Carrie77 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:09 am

At my gps there are around 8 docs and only 2 seem to vaguely want to help me, I argued with them for years about the pains in my arms and then they lost my notes so that put me bk, I like it there though as its close etc and everyone I know goes there, I'm scared to change incase the docs r worse lol
Carrie77
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello