Hi im new here , advice needed please

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hi im new here , advice needed please

Postby barrryg » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:07 pm

Hi , my name is barry and im in my early 40s , i was diagnosed with fm about 5 years ago when i went to hospital and they did some sort of pain test on most parts of my body , i scored very high according to the lady who conducted the test , i must point out that i had no idea what fm was and i wasnt realy told what it was or how it was going to affect my life , so to cut the story short i having been living with it since , all i have had treatment wise is painj killers , anti depresants and sleeping tablets , oh and i now have gout to go with it aswell as two very painfull elbows which i have been told is tennis elbow , i also have been told i have policemans heel in both feet , so im feeling pretty down to be truthfull , i also had a disk removed from my neck about 3 years ago aswell from a work injusy , so in all im feeling prety beat up most days , but i do have the odd good day too so i cant complain i guess . What i would like to know is what i can do to help my condition as i dont seem to be able to find much info or help here where i live , i used to have a life , now i dont , tablets help sometimes but to be honest i spend most of my time in on a differant planet because the tablets space me out so much , i guess over 100 pills a week will do that to you though , anyway enough of my ranting , just wanted to say hi to my fellow fm sufferes and hope you can help me :(
barrryg
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hi im new here , advice needed please

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:52 pm

:welcome: to the forum Barry :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

Sadly what you've described about just being told you have FM, then just being left to find your way thru things is something that a lot of us on here have experienced :( :( However, now you've found us, hopefully things will start to seem a little better for you :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

There is a lot of info and advice on here so hopefully you'll find some useful bits in amongst it all. Anything you want to know about, just ask and we'll see how we can help you with it.

Meds~wise there are various types to try, from painkillers thru to neurological types, which may help. This linky gives you some info about them http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalgia/Pages/Treatment.aspx You could have a look, then go and see your GP to see what might be suitable for you if you're looking for something new to try.

Some people have found that hydrotherapy has helped them, as has physio, accupuncture and swimming. Maybe seeing what is available in your area could be another thing for you to look into.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:43 pm

:welcome: to the forum Barry :wave:

We have lots of info on the forum, any questions just ask. :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby motherelephant » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:09 pm

Hello Barry and welcome to this lovely Forum .By policemans heel i presume you mean Plantar Fasciitis ,very painful .

I found wearing a good pair of trainers with a good arch support inside really helped . It takes a while for it to work but it

certainly helps . I am stood on my feet a lot ,bit like the old beat bobbies hence the name .

Welcome again . Motherelle x
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby barrryg » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:12 pm

thankyou for the nice comments everyone , does anyone know, who or how, i could contact someone in my home town to see if theres any kind of support groups etc , as far as i know there isnt anyone , but i may be wrong.cheers :-D
barrryg
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:29 pm

There are various details about support groups on the main site Barry. If your local hospital has a FM/CFS/ME type clinic, they may have info about groups in your area as well.

Alternatively you could Google your area/county/city/town along with fibromyalgia and see what comes up. If that doesn't bring anything up, you could try and see if there is a CFS/ME group as sometimes a group can include both/several similar conditions.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Where to Say Hello