[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Help!

Help!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Help!

Postby ladymadhouse » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:48 pm

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and I was wondering if someone could help me?

I'm 43 years old, had symptoms (mainly pain) for the past 7 years and have been diagnosed for about 4 months!
I go to the GP monthly (Citalapram, Tramadol, Amiltriptyline and Lyrica), and always get asked how things are, but my problem is I either forget half of what I want/need to say - or feel that I can't open up and tell of the new symptoms that seem to be appearing every day, as I don't want to seem like I'm exaggerating or making it up. The sad (and painful) thing is that its all true! :cry:

My question (finally!) is how can I get around feeling like this and explain? I did think of writing it down but again how can I do it without it looking like a shopping list! :oops:
Many thanks
Leah
ladymadhouse
UKFM Newbie

Re: Help!

Postby adelesmith » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:58 pm

write it down your gp will be used to this, part of coming to terms with fibro is understanding the many different thigs that come with it, when i was first diagnosed i was there all the time, know i hardly go because i let my body tell me what it needs which is generally rest and as little stress as poss, stayig positive helps not always possible i know but it gets easier :-D
adelesmith
UKFM Member

Postby Jaycee » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi, I think plenty of sufferers keep a pain diary and note of new symptoms especially when first diagnosed. I wouldn't worry about going to you dr with notes, if anything it will help them as it will make the appointment more focused and maybe prevent you having to go back soon after because you have remembered something else you want to mention.
Take care.
J
Jaycee
UKFM Member

Postby Natt » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:31 pm

Hi Lady,
Have you thought about a pain diary or log, pretty easy to keep track of every day changes, feeling and scales of whats going on (im sure you can easily find one online to download and print out as i have done) and will be beneficial when it comes to the memory thing as everything will be there in order and the doctor would probs be able to work on your treatments a lot better knowing the extent of your symptoms being old or new. Up until I got my official diagnosis i too felt like a hypochondriac, had more days when if it wasn't for the pain i was in i'd be convinced it was all in my head than days of knowing that it was real, even underwent surgery and felt worse afterwards because i still didnt know what was wrong with me. Now i can generally read my body and know when im pushing it, but anything unusual i make note of because if you dont make the docs aware they'll never be able to get your meds right for you, it may be a long time of trial and error but surely its gotta be worth it when you eventually find a prescription or method that helps you to feel that you are able to manage the illness, i know thats what im waiting for and like all of us here im sure the sooner it comes the better but we've suffered for that long that a while longer doesnt make that much difference.
Anyways hunni, hope you're feeling a little better soon both physically and mentally in regards to how you're feeling about stating the way you're feeling - you've got this far sharing it with us. Have a relaxing evening and gentle hugs to you :hugs:
Natt xNx

Natt
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:34 pm

:welcome: to the forum Leah :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: I've moved your topic into here with it being your introduction :wave: :wave:

There is a lot of advice and info on here, so hopefully you'll find some useful ideas that could help you :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: Anything else you want to know about, just ask and we'll see how we can help you with it :squirrel_nut: :squirrel_nut: :squirrel_nut:

I'm another one who writes things down, or maybe that should be types things up when I go for an appt. It helps with remembering what I need to ask about, plus my GP adds my sheet of notes to my file after it has been dealt with.

And don't worry about it looking like a shopping list, altho it's a good idea not to mix the symptoms list up with the actual shopping list :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby alison63 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:39 pm

I always do a diary. I put sad faces for bad days and smiley's for good days. I also do a pain gage out of 10. I hope this helps I have an understanding GP and consultant xxx
alison63
UKFM Newbie

Postby froggyguide » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:16 am

I have a good relationship with my GP when I turn up with a list he just says it must be time for my MOT, but I do keep a diary of how much medication I have been taking day to day to give him an accurate picture of my pain. :-) :-)
froggyguide
UKFM Newbie

Postby ladymadhouse » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:54 pm

:grouphug: Thank you everyone for all the advice.
I will definitely start diary keeping! x
ladymadhouse
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:38 pm

:welcome: to the forum Leah :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello