New here :) suspect I have Fibro?? Can you help please??

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

New here :) suspect I have Fibro?? Can you help please??

Postby Just-JJ » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi all

I hope you all don't mind me just jumping right in and posting what will probably end up being a bit of a long post, so I will apologise in advance, I do have a tendency to babble on, so sorry :-D - to be honest its the only thing that my fingers actually do well is type!! :lol:

I have an appointment with a Rheumatologist in April, an appointment I have literally had to jump through hoops to get but thats originally been sorted due to my hand clinic consultant wanting to know what else is wrong with me, mainly suspects of inflammatory arthritis.

I'll explain a little bit about me and my health problems - at an early age I smashed my coccyx to bits slipping on a rock with scholls on, then during my early teens I was in an abusive relationship and had several ribs cracked, its feasible that he was also the cause of the two cracked vertebrae I have at the base of my spine, but these werent found during investigations of my ribs, but he did beat me after that event even though we had split.

Anyway, won't babble about him, but, at age 19/20 I lifted a small filing cabinet with a colleague, and my back went - I literally couldnt walk for weeks and an MRI showed up the 2 cracked vertebrae, and additionally the consultant told me I had half an extra disc that was degenerative as there wasn't quite enough room for it - offered me an operation, 50/50 odds of ending up in a wheelchair, I said no thanks.

Fast forward to about 11-12 years ago, my back problems were still there but with pain killers it was controlled, I was pretty fit and healthy, attended the gym regularly, slim, ate well, worked hard, it just went on the very odd occasion, but at this point I started to have problems with my left hand, severe pain, thumb popping out of its joint, which resulted in an operation december 2000 where they took tendon from my forearm and tied in in a reef type knot and stitched it there I presume, around the thumb joint to stabilise it. The consultant told me after the operation that the joint had crumbled due to arthritis. I was never officially diagnosed, nor did anyone follow it up in anyway, I just kept getting given the pain killers off my doctor.

Over the past 12 years I have had 2 more operations, both on my right hand this time though, originally carpal tunnel about 4 years ago, then last year they reopened that wound and went a little further up my wrist as nerve conduction tests had shown a problem further up my arm and I still had a lot of discomfort around the original carpal tunnel scar, so they tried to clear some of the scar tissue and loosen it up a little.

Whilst all this has been going on I have found probably over the last 8-10 years that I was starting to get lots of pain in my knees, particularly when kneeling, and when getting up from a kneeling position a vile agonising pain down my shins. My doctor just told me to keep taking the pain killers.

I also cannot lie or sit with my knees together, its incredibly painful, I have to sleep and sit with a cushion between my knees. I also cannot bear to have anyone touch my shins, knees, hips, ribs, and have painful ankles too, if I am honest, I hurt just about everywhere. I have lots and lots of discomfort in the base of my back, I do suffer from sciatica, but over the last few years I am having much more pain at the base, and additionally lots of pains in my shoulder blades and neck.

If I am perfectly honest, and shockingly, the only bones/joints that don't hurt are my toes.

My hands are all but useless when it comes to gripping stuff, holding a pen or a sewing needle are totally impossible, I used to love hand writing letters and I wrote beautifully, now I write maybe a sentence or two and my hand literally shuts down, cant cope, locks up so I have to remove the pen or needle or whatever from my fingers with the other hand.

I am facing more operations, this time on my elbows, I have cubital tunnel which is severe in the right arm, there is no groove at all for my nerve to sit in so it sub-luxes across my elbow - niiiiiiiccccccce lol - and the left doesnt have much of a groove. I am in constant pain with both arms, regardless of whether I have them bent up or straight out, I have night splints to wear on each arm but I honestly dont know that they benefit me or not, with or without them I am in agony in the morning, and although it eases, its still evil throughout the whole day.

I don't doubt I have arthritis, which one I honestly dont know but hopefully the rheumy will establish this - but all these other pains, inside of my knees, inside of my elbows (which my consultant has said is NOT related to the cubital tunnel problems) hips, base of my back, shoulder blades, neck, looking at all the images showing the pressure points I seem to have pain in most of them. I also have dizzy spells although this could be attributed to high blood pressure although its controlled, I am getting more and more forgetful and my eyesight is rapidly declining.

I think I should shush now, although I am sure I will think of more stuff to babble about.

Just wondering, if anyone can stay awake long enough to read my post, if anyone could offer any advise?? And ultimate, does anyone think it could be that I have FM??

:crazy: JJ x
Just-JJ
UKFM Member

Re: New here :) suspect I have Fibro?? Can you help please??

Postby Just-JJ » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:36 pm

I should have added, and it reminded me having just been reading through some other threads, I have suffered with depression on and off for about 10 years, I have mood swings, chest pains, headaches and I suffer with restless legs syndrome, I do not sleep well and feel very tired and drained a large percentage of the time.

I try to be as active as I can and do do some exercise, mainly wii fit and some pilates based exercises, I suffer like hell for it afterwards though :cry:
Just-JJ
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:36 pm

:welcome: to the forum :wave:

It's impossible of us to say whether you have fibro but some of your symptoms could be linked to it.

Have you mentioned fibro to your Gp? It can take a long time to get diagnosed with fibro as it does not show up in any tests so it tends to be the last thing on the list.

Your Gp might diagnose it themself or send you to see a rheumy.

If you feel you have fibro just keep pushing for some answers, sorry I am not much help but have a read around the forum to see if there are any other symptoms you have.

:goodluck1: hope you get answers soon.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:14 pm

:welcome: to the forum Just-JJ :wave: :wave:

As Shaz has said, we can't say whether you have FM or not as we're not medically qualified, the person you need is the rheumy that you're seeing in April :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: All we can do really is comment on what you have described and whether they relate to what we have experienced.

With what you have said about your symptoms, the different things that have happened to you and left you like, they do sound very much like some of the things I have had as well, so it could be that you have fibro, hopefully the rheumy you'll be seeing will able to give you a diagnosis and answer any questions you may have.

In the mean time tho, if you have a look around the site, you'll see that there is a lot of advice and info on here, so there may be some useful suggestions that help you.

Advice~wise, we may be able to help you, if you start a new topic about what you want to know, then hopefully you'll get some suitably helpful replies. The thing you will find is that we are all affected very differently and we each have our own ways of dealing with things, which means you'll get a mix of suggestions, so if you try something and it seems to be of little help, then you'll probably need to try something else to see how that helps, and sometimes you need a mix of things to find what's the right thing for you.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Just-JJ » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:28 pm

Thanks for your replies :-D

Will have a good look around the forums and hopefully will find some useful information :-P
Just-JJ
UKFM Member

Postby Just-JJ » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:21 am

Hi again all, saw the rheumatologist yesterday, really nice lady she was too, and its confirmed, I do have Fibromyalgia, she did a big physical exam but was fairly gentle thank goodness :)

I am being referred for hydrotherapy, she suggested I get a moulded pillow (the neck pain is vile at night) but not sure if she means a memory foam pillow?? and has prescribed Amitriptylene.

I didnt want to have it, but, at least I know now and can take steps to try and manage the pain as best I can.
Just-JJ
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:11 pm

Bit of a bummer about it being FM JJ, as you've said tho, at least you now know and can start taking steps to hopefully get in control over it :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

Found this linky which has a bit of an explanation about moulded pillows http://www.bedcentreuk.co.uk/breasley-f ... 24824.aspx The price on this one is a bit :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: but with a bit of bargain hunting you'll probably be able to find one at a better price :cup1: :cup1: :cup1:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Just-JJ » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:12 pm

Thanks for the link Fluppy, will do some major searching to try and find the best deal, thankyou :-D

In the meantime my fella is going to grab me one from Asda on his way to mine later, and if that one helps then I will progress to a more expensive one and my fella can take the asda one to use.
Just-JJ
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:57 pm

You never know, the one from Asda could be the one that makes all the difference to you :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Where to Say Hello