It's me, back again

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

It's me, back again

Postby Judy S » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:43 am

Well, I say 'it's me', but as I can't remember my previous username and I had to re-register with all new details, you'll probably never know who 'me' is! :oops:

I've had a period of remission where the fibro really hasn't been too much trouble - oh, I have felt it if I did too much, or didn't sleep enough, or ate too much sugar and refined carbs, but basically I was functioning well.

Sadly, I then a few years where I've had major 'life events' from losing my two beloved greyhounds within five weeks of each other just after Christmas one year, to this year when my mother died unexpectedly and later I lost a cousin and then a much loved ex-neighbour too, then heard that another cousin had non-alcohol related cirrhosis of the liver on top of his Hodgkin's Disease .. and my husband has had some distressing health news too. And guess what? The fibro has decided to reappear. What a surprise. I'm getting a ton of memory/brain fog/concentration problems as well as spine/neck pain and generalised aches - but you all know that sad song.

So, I'm back here for help and reassurance. :-)

A little bit about me - I love greyhounds, and we have two ex-racers. I volunteer with a couple of adoption groups and maintain a website and Facebook group for one of them. I have an Etsy shop where I attempt to sell handmade tag necklaces for dogs and dog-related jewellery (and I'm working on more lines).

I love to read (pretty much anything - whodunnits/chick lit/Terry Pratchett/Janet Evanovich/J R Ward/classics/non-fiction/etc

Love to laugh (funny films, series, books)

I'm really trying hard to get fit to keep my blood pressure in check and it seems to be working.

I'm learning Italian, because my son has an Italian girlfriend and while she speaks excellent English, her parents don't.

Can't remember anything else, but this post is probably long enough anyway! So Hi!!
Judy S
UKFM Member

Re: It's me, back again

Postby TATT » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:42 am

Hi Judy, Sorry to hear about your relapse. You sound chirpy though and you are learning Italian which is great and commendable. My oh is greek and I have the greek rosette stone course upstairs but my brain wont let me focus. I wanted to learn the languauge so that when we get married (in greece) i will understand the vows. Need to know what I am getting myself into lol.

How long were you ill before you had your remission and how long was the remission? I have been ill since 2009 but steadily worse since last July when I had 2 operations and I have had daily pain since last October. I have not been able to read much and I am mainly housebound due to lack of energy and pain. I am hoping that the summer will bring better times.

Take care Tatt x
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby Judy S » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:58 pm

TATT wrote:Hi Judy, Sorry to hear about your relapse. You sound chirpy though and you are learning Italian which is great and commendable. My oh is greek and I have the greek rosette stone course upstairs but my brain wont let me focus. I wanted to learn the languauge so that when we get married (in greece) i will understand the vows. Need to know what I am getting myself into lol.

Well ... mostly chirpy. :-? My husband would tell you I have many 'off' days and panic easily about my health. *Sigh*

Good for you for trying to learn Greek - and congratulations on your forthcoming wedding!!

I think Greek is more difficult than Italian. At least Italian uses the same alphabet! I tried various methods with Italian, starting with Byki, which is a bit like a cut-price version of the Rosetta Stone, but I found I got on more quickly listening to short podcasts. The ones I chose were really good, with plenty of slow speech, repetition, explanation and opportunity to repeat, over and over again. All I can say is keep trying and don't be discouraged! Does your OH talk to you in Greek? My son's partner hardly ever talks to him in Italian, because her English is so good, which is a pity.

I was diagnosed with fibro back in about 1995. Since then I've had two or three periods of remission. I've learned a few things, like plenty of sleep and exercise both do help enormously. I have a problem with yeast, and cutting out sugar and cutting carbs right down also helps, and when I do eat bread, I avoid Chorleywood bread (most modern bread is Chorleywood bread: really soft with an overdose of yeast so it can be forced to rise more quickly). Sadly, some of the pills I'm on for various unrelated problems don't help the fibro at all. I've managed to ditch one BP drug, but most of my family seem to die of cardiovascular issues, so I'm cautious, and my husband takes my BP twice a day to keep an eye on things.

I've been prescribed various things to try to help with the fibro, but most seem to just add unwanted side effects to my problems - for instance, amytriptylline gives me horrendous nightmares, the like of which I never had before, and don't want to see ever again plus sleep paralysis, and Tramadol gives me hallucinations.

The last remission must have been about three years long .. but it's been creeping back for a long time before I became aware of what was happening. I made the mistake of thinking I was 'cured'.

I think how long you're ill before a remission depends on a LOT of different things. For me it was probably about five or six years, but then I felt really quite well for a long time. For others, it might be only six months. I think it depends partly on finding out your triggers and if you are able to do something about them. Discovering my problem with yeast helped enormously, within a few weeks. Losing weight helps, exercising helps, getting enough sleep helps. For me, avoiding alcohol makes no difference, and I can take as much caffeine as I like. For others, these two things will do a real number on them and exercise will be impossible.
Judy S
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:56 pm

:welcome: back Judy :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby TATT » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:07 pm

My OH is such a romantic, he says sometimes that he loves me so much that it makes him want to speak to me in greek. He would love me to learn but he is fully aware that my concentration is like a goldfish on most days. Its interesting to talk with you as although I have been ill since 2009 i think my FM only really kicked in last July which makes me a newbie. I am also fortunate in that as a therapist I had to give up work and have been able to rest more or less since. You have been dealing with this since 95 so I take my hat off to you.

I am taking tramadol which alleviates the pain and gives me some respite, I am taking maximum dose now and can feel its effects starting to wane. I am learning that we have to change our meds around from time to time but for now I am ok with just the one drug. I have been diagnosed with duodenitus which I think is down to the painkillers affecting my gut walls. I am going through a myriad of symptoms that are constantly changing that when I am asked what are you experiencing I forget. I feel like a fraud at times. My blood pressure is low and has been since i got ill, 90/55 and I have daily nausea and dizzyness on standing. I joined the forum in Jan this year and have slowly become more involved due to my laying on the bed all day. I have a neck and back issue so I get up and make the bed I get dressed (house clothes) but then lay back down again. I am worrying about muscle loss now lol Here goes my anxiety :crazy:

Glad your back
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:38 pm

:welcome: back Judy :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: Plenty of help and reassurance on here, so come on in and have a share :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

Sorry to hear about your furbabies, at least you know they are at the bridge together, happy and healthy again :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: Lots of :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: for the huu~mons in your life that have been called back to the angels as well, it's always so sad to hear about these times :( :( :( :(

There is lots of advice and info on here that you may find helpful, as well as plenty of :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Judy S » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:21 pm

Tatt - your OH sounds very sweet! :)

Sorry to hear about all your problems. In some ways I envy you your low blood pressure, but of course it can bring just as many problems as high BP. And yes, all drugs have their side effects and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if you could blame yours for your gut problems, sadly. :(

Fluppy Puffy - thanks for the sympathy. :( I do believe that grief plays a BIG part in making our fibro worse, as does any kind of long term stress. My mother is irreplaceable, of course, and so are those two dogs, but at least we can go and adopt more dogs to fill the empty spaces, which we have done. We have two greyhounds again, one a tripod who smashed his hock to pieces in his last race, and the other an oldie who waiting nine years to be adopted. They do help to keep me sane - and keep me walking! ;)

Thanks to you, too, Shazq, for the welcome back!
Judy S
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:12 pm

You're right Judy, grief, stress, in fact anything negative loves to feed FM and make us feel lousy :facepalm: :facepalm: And our mothers are irreplacable :blowkiss: :blowkiss: It sounds like you found 2 special furbabies to help with the greyhound shaped hole you had as well, why was your oldie waiting so long to be adopted?? I know of a tripaw springie and there's no keeping her down, every chance she gets, she's off and running the legs off her doglet brothers :dogrun1:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby loubie » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:38 pm

hello you back again :wave: :lol:

sorry :oops: :lol: :lol:

welcome back :wave: and hello to who you was before :-? :crazy: :crazy:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: i am confusing myself :lol: :lol:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby Judy S » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:00 pm

Loubie - LOL! Thanks for the welcome!

Fluppy Puffy - Jeffie waited so long to be adopted because he is black and it's a sad fact that blacks wait longest. Also he is one of thousands of greyhounds who retire each year, and he didn't 'sell himself'. He's a quiet soul, who is nervous of, well, quite a lot of things and doesn't go rushing up to mug new people for affection. And he's a bit ... well, not beautiful in the conventional sense. He's pigeon toed, has a half an extra rib on one side only which sticks out in a bump, a grey face, very dark eyes which get lost in his black/grey fur, and a bewildered expression. He looks anxious most of the time, even when he's not! He's super-skinny even for a greyhound (can't get weight on this guy) and his fur - like all outdoor-living blacks - was a bit harsh and had rusty brown patches when we adopted him. No wonder the fawns, brindles, whites, blues and 'cow patch' dogs go first!

When we adopted him, we found out that in addition to all that, he was growly through fear, he's clumsy (he broke his foot and gashed himself badly running into a garden wall in two separate incidents during the first month), and is taking quite some work to get him used to behaving well with other breeds. He is NOT cat-safe. And he has a tendency to vomit for no reason every so often. Oh yeah, and he had an untreated, deep infected ulcer in his mouth where a canine had been removed and his fosterer (who'd had him six weeks) didn't notice!!! He's costing us a fortune at the vet!!

But .. we're getting him sorted, and he's our Jeffie! And he's funny, sweet, and turning into quite a decent guard dog!
Judy S
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi and :welcome: back :wave: :-D :-D
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello