ANXIETY/STRESS - HOW DO PEOPLE COPE?

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ANXIETY/STRESS - HOW DO PEOPLE COPE?

Postby newlady29 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:41 pm

I have recently been diagnosed with.. quite ironic since my closest friend, practically my little sister has fibro as well. I've been helping her out over the last couple of years and I've been getting worse since the autumn after bouts of infections. I think I've managed to get thru the shock of it, but emotionally its really getting to me. It's hard to explain but when i get into a conversation and start to get 'worked up' as i'm not being heard or being interrupted i feel my anxiety level just start to increase.. knowing it will get to the un-stoppable stage, next thing i know i'm having a shouting match and/or end up bawling my eyes out. Not sure what to do or how to handle or if it will get easier in time????? All I want to do at the moment is hide.. i'm a single mum with two boys at home.. and they need me.. but my usual social, laughing, smiling and nothing can bring me down attitude has vanished.. help?? Am I crazy? is this normal? Pain I can live with; being emotionally over sensitive and explosive I can NOT live with.. it's just NOT me!!! Any suggestions?? :cry:
newlady29
UKFM Newbie

Re: ANXIETY/STRESS - HOW DO PEOPLE COPE?

Postby animalhouse » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:20 pm

you[re not alone we all suffer some degree of this, and is it any wonder with the shock that our world is about to change as we know it.

you need to go to the dr and tell them how you feel then they can either give you meds or refer you for counseelling or cbt.

i started cbt last week to help me deal with the behavioural side i think, i have to keep a diary of what i do and how i feel then i think they will discuss with me after.

i have had normal coun selling though in the past and it is good to talk to someone who is neurtral so you can let it all out.

some antidepressants are prescribed anyway for fibro to relax and deal with pain. i have citalopram in the morning for depression/anxiety and i also have dosulepin in the evening to relax me and help me to sleep after suffereing with fibro/ptsd.

take care and hope you get some help soon, be brave it is scary to ask foir help but once you do it is a releif.

:-)
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:39 pm

:wave: :wave: and :welcome: to the forum :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: I've moved your post into here with it being your first one as it's a more suitable part of the forum :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

There is a lot of info and advice on here that you may find useful, so have a look round and see what there is :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

The feelings/sensations you've been experiencing recently are something that a lot of us FMers have had to deal with. Being told you have FM tends to turn what you have known as life upside down and inside out :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: The new emotions that these realisations stir up need to find a way to escape, which could be part of why you're feeling and reacting as you are at the moment. Hopefully as you get used to things and start to find the right mix of things for you, these feelings will start to settle back down for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: If they are worrying you or you think they're starting to take over everything tho, there is help available to try and get them more under control if needed.

If there's anything else you want to know about, just ask and we'll try to help you with it :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:30 pm

Hi and :welcome: to the forum, we can become over sensitive but have to learn to cope with it, for some CBT or other talking therapies can help us to find another way to deal with situations, go to your doc and explain how you are feeling cos as you have said your boys need you and you need to be the mum they know and love.

Its not your fault you are feeling the way you are it can be part of FM or having to cope with FM so ask for some help to deal with it :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:02 pm

:welcome: to the forum newlady :wave:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby newlady29 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:00 pm

Thanks everyone and obviously i'm not going anywhere soon as from what i've read and seen you're a great bunch to sound off with! lol I've had a crap week but feeling a bit better today so going to go enjoy my usual friday evening jaunt.. ;-)

Have a great evening! :lol:
newlady29
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello