Helloooo!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Helloooo!

Postby clairc » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:05 pm

Hi!

I'm Clair and I'm new here. A rheumatologist diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia last week but I'm a bit confused about it all to be honest.

I'm 37 and I've been ill since my early teens (originally diagnosed with ME because they couldn't find anything specific that was wrong). I have some of the tender points but I don't really have all the other symptoms of fibromyalgia. I don't have a problem sleeping, I'm not anxious, stressed or depressed and I don't have widespread pain, just pain in specific joints, mostly down my right hand side. My rheumy gave me a booklet about Fibromyalgia to look at but nothing in it seemed to describe what I feel like.

I've already tried most of the suggested treatments without success. Tricyclics and SSRIs don't do anything for me, gabapentin makes me so spaced out and sick I can't function, Tramadol is the same and I have severe withdrawal symptoms when I stop taking it, counsellors and psychologists can't help me because I'm not depressed and I've had 2 courses of physio which made my pain and mobility significantly worse.

At the moment I practice pacing, take codeine and paracetamol for the pain, I take hydroxychloroquine which has helped (but the rheumy now wants me to stop it) but I still get severe flares of severe pain 2-3 weeks after a bacterial or viral infection, which happens practically on a monthly basis.

I had a flare up of hip and knee pain this week and my GP said I needed to go back and see my rheumy but I got a letter yesterday saying that my rheumy had discharged me, which is odd as when I saw him last he made an appointment to see me in 6 months time. I feel like I'm stuck and I'm not sure what's the best way to deal with my health problems.

Anyway, thank you for listening. Look forward to getting to know you all.

Clair
clairc
UKFM Newbie

Re: Helloooo!

Postby denys » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:11 pm

Hi Clair your story does sound strange cos FM should show in all 4 quadrants of the body???? but saying that FM affects people in different ways so you dont have to have all the symptoms to be diagnosed with it.

Fm is muscles not joints so that is another strange thing but again I suffer from joint pain as do many others but it is as well as muscular pain.

Question you Doc if you arent happy with the DX and ask for further testing maybe the best time is during one of your acute flares so something may show up :dunno: :dunno: in the mean time :welcome: to the forum and we'll try to offer you support when you need it :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Re: Helloooo!

Postby animalhouse » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:37 am

i get pain in the strangest of places such as my fingers or wrists etc all at different times.

and you may also have pain in the trigger point 18 point thingy wihtout realising it unlsess they are pressed.

speak to your dr and at least may help you to accept then you can move on. soemtimes we don;t even realise we are depressed or accept it but the frustration of the condition can catch up with us at times and bring it on :-)
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Return to Where to Say Hello