[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Fibro, spondylosis etc and ESA!

Fibro, spondylosis etc and ESA!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro, spondylosis etc and ESA!

Postby cuddles » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:08 pm

I have been struggling for over 20 years now trying to make doctors understand what is going on in my body without getting very far. I have a combination of fibro, IBS, osteo arthritis, cervical spondylosis, pernicious anaemia, hypotension and mitral valve prolapse. It is so hard just getting through each day most times but I always try to stay positive and find something to smile about.

Now I have another stressful thing to deal with as the DWP has decided to place me in the ESA Work focus activity group rather than the support group. I fail to understand how they expect someone who does not know from one minute to the next where the next pain will be, when our legs are going to give way or when we are going to pass out, to actively look for work and get a job, when healthy young people can't find employment.

Is it just me or does the system seem totally screwed up? With raising the pension age and forcing people who are unable to work due to genuine medical reasons, how does the government expect the economy of the country to improve? There aren't enough jobs available to employ the able bodied never mind those of us who struggle just to get dressed in the mornings because the pain is too much to cope with.

What we have to deal with on a daily basis is difficult enough without having people tell us that "we should get off our backsides and get a job!". We are NOT lazy layabouts who live a life of leisure at the taxpayers expense.

It takes me all my strength just to pull my trousers back up when I've been to the bathroom, because my left shoulder hurts so much it feels like it's in a vice that's being tightened. Add to that the stiff neck and constant pain that makes it difficult to move my head and the weakness in my legs, and you're heading for a work injury claim for sure. How does that possibly benefit the economy?

I have just about given up going to see a GP because each visits just makes me feel worse and that it was a waste of time and effort, but I need my GP's support to prove that what I put on my forms is the real deal and not some made up story. I would be very interested to see if others feel the same about how they're being treated and how the government is dismissing a genuine medical issue.

Sorry for ranting on but I am so fed up with never getting anywhere and always feeling like I just wasted a doctor's time again.

Monica :)
cuddles
UKFM Newbie

Re: Fibro, spondylosis etc and ESA!

Postby diamondintherough » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:14 pm

Hello Monica im not sure how much help i can be of as im new to this whole FMS scene, but have you thought of changing your docotor?
Perhaps if you get a different opinion they may be more understanding. Oddly enough I have found male Drs to be understanding in my experience.
Also if you disagree with a DWP decision to place you in the work focused group you could always appeal. I personally have just claimed ESA and wonder whether I too will be placed in the work focused group. If you are in that group are they flexible with the types of work you can do? For example could you work 5 afternoons a week or one day on and one day off to suite your needs?
diamondintherough
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:36 pm

:welcome: to the forum Monica :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

I've moved you into here with this being your intro post and I've split things up into smaller paragraphs as quite a few of us on here struggle with reading large blocks of text :penguin: :penguin: :penguin:

I was in your position last year, being placed in WRAG even tho I have been fully retired on health grounds for over 10 years. DWP tried to tell me that my retirement only applied to my previous employment and would not have any impact on potential future employment :swear1: :swear1: :swear1: :swear1: After a lot of :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: and :swear1: :swear1: :swear1: :swear1: :swear1: I appealed their choice of "fate" and only had to go as far as the reconsideration stage for them to realise the error of their ways. So you can appeal the decision and it is possible for you to be moved from WRAG into the support group. You will need to let DWP know that you intend to appeal their decision and you need to have sent it in writing to them within a month of being told what your "fate" is.

GP wise, is there another one you could see at your surgery who may be more helpful and understanding?? If not, then it might be worth considering looking for a new one who has a better understanding of things FM related.

There is a lot of other info and advice on here that you may find helpful, and if there's something you want to know about, all you need to do is ask and we'll see how we can help you with it :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby weegranny » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:23 pm

hiya cuddles .great name by the way ,just saw your post and all i can say is snap the dwp in their wisdom have decided i will be placed in the same work activity thing as well .i am at the appeal stage with them now so fingers crossed ,i get highrate mobility and lowrate for help with personnal care !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so why me .how they decided im ok for a job beggers belief on that decision .mind you they cannot get their act in order in the first place ,there is 4/5 mistakes in the report they sent to me for the appeal ..they dont even tally with the so called"personal advisor " that the have allocated to me , i cant get my head round the dwp at all .atos accepted a mecical report fom a doctor that ive never even met at my h/centre she wrote "patient not known to me at all " what a laff result my own gp is going crazy about this ,he has now written a full report about me to send to the appeal board . jist of this is will they find me a job for my floppy days lol
weegranny
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:40 pm

:welcome: to the forum Monica :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello