Into the Unknown

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Into the Unknown

Postby Day » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:37 pm

Hi all, so I've been browsing these forums for a while now and thought it was about time that I joined and said something.

I'm not actually a FM sufferer, but my girlfriend is. Right now, she has been diagnosed and had it for a few years and I was fairly ignorant as to the condition at the start of our relationship. However, I vowed to learn more when I really discovered the pain that she was in. And how serious this can become over time. Her family are also fairly ignorant to the matter as well and have linked to posts on this many times to try to get them to see how this affects other people and is not purely their problem and how they should consider it more.

Although I was uneducated about FM, I feel after browsing these forums for as long as I have, I think I have a better understanding of the cautions that have to be taken and how she and the others who suffer from it feels. There's a long road ahead of this and I want to be there and be knowledgeable enough about the situation to empathise even though I can't feel that pain and understand what she's going through. I think understanding is a lot more important than sticking a diagnosis on her and just accepting that she he is having therapy and she had her meds and leaving it at that. I want to understand how it really feels day to day and be able to give good, honest advice with things I know to be true, even to other FM sufferers.

So what I'm really trying to say is, thank you for this forum. Thank you for existing and showing me, a previously ignorant individual, that there is so much more to living with FM. And although I won't be able to contribute to posts often as I have no personal experience to share, know that there's probably people like me out there, the ones who want to understand for the people we love even if we can't say anything to support or truly make it better.

Thanks everyone.
Mike.
Day
UKFM Newbie

Re: Into the Unknown

Postby masonsbarms » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:18 pm

hi what a lovely man x
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:40 pm

:welcome: to the forum Day :wave: :wave:

There is a lot of info and advice on here that you may find helpful in learning about FM. You may also find this linky helpful http://www.fibromyalgia-support.net/book/ It's a free download of an e~book written by a gentleman whose wife has FM and the various things they have gone thru and discovered about living with the condition from the point of view of a carer and his wife. We have another recent joinee who, like you, has a partner with FM, and wants to learn about the condition to try and help his partner.

Anything you're wanting to know about, all you need to do is ask, and we'll try to help you with it :clap: :clap: :clap:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby fibro-lu » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi Mike

welcome and good on you to get educated

flup,
this lnk is brilliant again

don't know if it is too much to ask but
is there a possibility to have all the thousands of links together
preferable devided into sub folders?
in the mean time
I will check what happens if I put "http/" into search ....

ok I am back now
just tried it with
http://www
and it works
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Lu I think that would take an awful lot of work to organise, I dont see it happening in the near future but you never know I will put it to the administrator and see what he thinks :-D

Hi Mike and :welcome: to the forum its good that you are trying to understand this condition to help your girlfriend sometimes its difficult to communicate how rough we feel and if the people around us understand and can be sympathetic to it then it makes all the difference :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello