[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Hello :)

Hello :)

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello :)

Postby Doodles » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:07 am

Hi there! I'm a 22 year old student & living in Aberdeen.

After a lifelong battle with mis-diagnosises & health problems after another I finally got diagnosed with FM yesterday. I say 'finally' because I've been having these problems since I can remember & it was first suggested by my GP that he thought it was FM when I was 14, I was put on amitriptyline a couple years later - yet never diagnosed & it was never taken any further. I've known it was FM as soon as it was suggested 8 years ago. I moved to Aberdeen 3 years ago and whenever I've been to the doctors with one thing or another since and suggested what it was I've been pawned off & many misdiagnosises have landed me in & out of hospital like a yo-yo with one test after another resulting in zilch. So to finally get this diagnosis is such a huge relief to finally have a formal name for whats going on in my body. Yet for it to get to this point, I had a mild operation in January this year for endometriosis, which didn't go to plan - it got infected & everything has gone downhill since then as it has majorly triggered off the FM & what was supposed to be a 2/3 week recovery is now nearly 3 months later :(. It's as though what I was experiencing before the operation has been somewhat heightened. I'm in more pain than ever & constantly feel drunk (definitely not been drinking!!) Yesterday I got prescribed gabapentin which I've started taking today & have to gradually increase. Has anyone found this works?? I'm also waiting for an appointment with a rheumatologist though to be frank I've no idea what it's for, what they're going to do or what happens next!

Like I said before, I'm 22 so being young (& unfortunately looking a LOT younger) I'm often criticized for being 'lazy' due to FM & similar comments which I've had to put up with for years. So many times have the doctors told me it was 'in my head' & I'm doing it for attention so to finally have this diagnosis is such a huge relief. However.... its completely terrifying. My mum had an accident a few years ago; Hit her head & was diagnosed with FM. She is now very disabled all due to the FM and has to constantly rely on others & what seems like a chemists worth of medication and I've had to watch her go from being independant, loving her job & loving life...to this! The prospect that I've now been diagnosed with the same syndrome & all it may take is a 'hit to the head' or god knows what is absolutely terrifying!!

Unfortunately I'm still badly recovering from the botched operation so things do seem a lot lower for me at the minute than they normally would. So here I am needing to meet people who are in a similar boat on the health scale & know what I'm going through. Sorry for the long babble, but that's me! Hello!
Doodles
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hello :)

Postby shazq » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:29 pm

:welcome: to the forum Doodles

:fingerscrossed: gabapentin will work for you, it is a common med used for fibro, i have tried it before but was put on it by a neuro doc for migraines but it did not help for either pain or my heads. :(
There are a few topics up in our medications posts so have a read around for more info. :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:56 pm

Hi doodles and :welcome: to the forum :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:00 pm

:welcome: to the forum Doodles :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

There is lots of info and advice on here, incl things on the various meds used to try and manage FM. Gabapentin can help make a difference to some FMers, hopefully you will be one of them :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

Anythng you're wanting to know about, just ask and we'll try to help you with it :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Where to Say Hello