[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Don't know what to do

Don't know what to do

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Don't know what to do

Postby Melanie » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:31 pm

Hi everyone. I haven't been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, but I think I may have it.

I have always been quite slim, until I became pregnant with my third child almost five years ago. My first two pregnancies were comfortable and straightforward. Around the middle of my last pregnancy I began getting severe pains in the lower left of my back and my left leg. The doctor said it was sciatica, and perhaps it was.

Anyway, to cut a very long story short, after I gave birth to my last child, I gained a lot of weight and the pain never went away. Since then I have gradually become worse.

I can't walk long distances and have to rest every few yards or so as I am in excruciating pain, (which I now believe is nothing to do with sciatica as it's not a shooting pain, but a persistent pain that takes some time to go away), and my knee often gives way. It's getting much worse and I'm petrified of going anywhere alone in case I collapse. There are many other things too, such as memory loss, poor concentration-the list is endless.

Anyway, I have been diagnosed with a personality disorder and severe depression in the past, and upon going to see my GP about my physical health, I began telling him about all the symptoms I was experiencing and he got impatient with me, making me feel that it was all in my head (I'd never heard of fibromyalgia until last week).

Naturally I assumed that maybe it was just to do with the depression etc etc, and my lack of motivation and tiredness was maybe to do with being lazy or depressed-although I didn't believe that was really the case.

I have tried dieting but nothing seems to work, and I don't lose any weight. I have asked him to check my thyroid, even for diabetes! But all the results came back negative.

Anyway, my sister noticed an article in a magazine the other week about hypothyroidism, and I checked out the website, and that's where I first heard about Fibromyalgia. I have pretty much all the symptoms, and upon reading it, it was as if I was reading about myself.

How do I get my doctor to listen to me???

P.s I apologise this is so long winded.

Mel
Melanie
UKFM Newbie

Postby pauline » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:39 pm

:( Sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time with your GP.
Did he actually come up with any specific condition that he thinks may be causing your problems? did he put you on any medications? it's not quite clear in your posting. ....................pauline
pauline
UKFM Member

Postby Melanie » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:45 pm

Thankyou for your reply!

No, he tested my thyroid and for diabetes, but he has told me it must be IBS which I think is ridiculous-although I know I have IBS too. I think because of my mental health problems, they don't take much notice. I don't know to be honest. I was wondering if maybe I should get in touch with my local M.P? Do you think it's possible he might be able to help me with this?

Mel
Melanie
UKFM Newbie

Postby pauline » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:15 pm

pauline
UKFM Member

Postby luuluu » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:07 pm

what other people think of me is really none of my business
luuluu
UKFM Member

Postby claire edwards » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:20 pm

Diagnosed with fibromyalgia, it would be good to hear from people as a form of support and to support.
claire edwards
UKFM Member

Postby Melanie » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:02 pm

Melanie
UKFM Newbie

Postby claire edwards » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:13 pm

Diagnosed with fibromyalgia, it would be good to hear from people as a form of support and to support.
claire edwards
UKFM Member

Postby pauline » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:22 am

pauline
UKFM Member

for Melanie

Postby princess » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:52 pm

princess
UKFM Regular

Postby Melanie » Tue May 20, 2008 7:03 pm

Melanie
UKFM Newbie

to melanie

Postby princess » Tue May 20, 2008 7:25 pm

princess
UKFM Regular

to mel

Postby MISS BUNNYPENNY » Tue May 20, 2008 8:21 pm

coventry brittle kid
I LIKE WALKING IN THE RAIN -NO 1 SEES YOUR TEARS
LORD=keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth....AMEN
Sarcasm-Its beats killing people/
Just when I was getting used to yesterday,along came today.
MISS BUNNYPENNY
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Where to Say Hello