[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Hi there - I'm new! In need of advice :)

Hi there - I'm new! In need of advice :)

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hi there - I'm new! In need of advice :)

Postby Ariel » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:24 pm

Hello everyone - how are you all?

I haven't been diagnosed, but I've been suffering from on-off symptoms for years and in the last eight weeks they have got increasingly worse, so seeing the doc on Thursday.

My mum has fibromyalgia and I only realised I could have it too when I googled all of my symptoms at once and in return got a list of sites with fibromyalgia in the title.

Symptoms:

Joint pain - someone shook my hand the other day and I yelped. Hips and knees are bad, and it hurts to lift my hands above my head
Pain in bones - mainly in my thigh bones
Heavy legs - struggle walking up stairs
Painful jaw - sometimes hurts to speak or eat
Headache nearly every day - I drinks lots of water
IBS type problems
Light sensitive eyes
Sensitive skin - my boyfriend cuddled me the other day. I felt like my skin was on fire when his touched mine
Bad concentration/no motivation - seriously affecting work
Bad sleeping patters - wake every four hours or so

I'm in so much pain I'm in tears, and I just can't think (or seem to find) anything else that has this combination of symptoms. I know that I'll need to have a series of tests to eliminate other things, but I really feel like I'm trapped :(

Any advice or experiences you can share would be appreciated; just don't know what to do or how to explain it to work.

Thanks, Ariel
x
Diagnosed 2012! Hoping to learn more and make friends in the fibro community.
Ariel
UKFM Member

Re: Hi there - I'm new! In need of advice :)

Postby Ariel » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:54 pm

Also - I suffer from regular chest pain and was diagnosed with costochondritis, and also have very itchy skin - especially on my legs.
Ariel
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi Arial & :welcome:

Im glad you have found us, lots of information/advice and support here for you and your mum :-)

Sorry to hear you have been having lots of pain and symptoms.

I would suggest you ask your doctor for a referal to the rhuematologist if your GP suspects fibromyalgia. Mention to your GP that your mum has been diagnosed with it.

Your GP i would imagine will ask for blood tests to rule out other conditions.

They may even refer you to the physiotherapists and may perscribe some pain killers.

I hope you get on well with your appointment
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:09 pm

As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby wiccahawk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:41 pm

Hi Ariel,

Your symptoms mirror mine too (had FM for 11 years) including the rib pain, itchy sensative skin etc so please do push your GP to see a Rhuematologist. Some GP's seem very sceptical where FM is concerned so if they seem reluctant don't give in, insist on a referal.

I feel for you as I'm sure everyone here does. Good luck and try to smile :-) (stress sets my FM on a rampage :cry: )

May you have more good days than bad
Steve
FM, Angina, Spondylosis Thoracic Spine, Stenosis Lumbar Spine.

May we all have more good days than bad.
wiccahawk
UKFM Member

Postby Ariel » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:39 am

Thank you all so much. I've been suffering all these symptoms on and off for years and i feel I might be close to an answer.

I'll let you know how the doc goes!

Thanks for the support
Ariel
x
Ariel
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:57 am

:welcome: to the forum Ariel :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

Sorry to hear what you're going thru with the pain and things :grouphug: :grouphug: Lisa has given you some really good advice, hopefully it won't be too long for you to have the answer to what is the cause of your various symptoms :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

Have you shown the forum to your mum, or told her about it?? Just wondering as she may find some useful suggestions that could help her :clap: :clap:

If there's anything either of you want to know about, all you need to do is ask and we'll try to help you with it :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:28 am

Hi Ariel and :welcome: to the forum :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Ariel » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:17 am

Hi all - am back from the docs.

I am pleased I wrote all my symptoms down as I spent most of it crying :(

The doc was amazing; he said that he wants to eliminate everything, so has tested me for 16 different things....incl liver, kidney, arthritis, thyroid, cholesterol, CRP (is that right?)....and lots of other stuff. Those results should be in next week and then we can go from there. He knows that my mum has FM and that my cousin is an ME sufferer.

Work have been lovely and told me to not worry about today. I'm pleased because I am exhausted and finding it impossible to concentrate.

I hope that I have an answer soon. I'm terrified how this will effect my new job and my relationship. I know I can't assume anything until I am diagnosed, but right now I'm in so much pain that I can't really think straight. :yikes:

xx
Ariel
UKFM Member

Postby rosehip » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:38 pm

hi there and welcome . i have just been diagnosed and i had all your symptons . the blood tests i also had and everything was normal

i hope you get your pain sorted xxx
rosehip
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:28 pm

Sounds like you had a really good appt with your GP Ariel, which is what you need when trying to find things out :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: And having and understanding employer makes a big difference :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

We'll be waiting with you for the results to come thru, and if there's anything you're wondering about/want to know between now and results day, someone will be not too far away, even if it's just to offer :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Plain Jane » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:42 pm

I believe my Mum had FM too. She suffered all these symptoms before FM was recognised a an ailment in itself. Her body was so sensitive that if my Dad held her arm too hard she came up in bruises where his fingers had touched her! It used to upset him because he was a gentle man as well as a gentleman and always took her arm when crossing the road for examle. My Mum's gone now but when I'm struggling I can see her in my mind's eye because I'm adopting similar postures to try to relieve the pain.

I haven't found any drugs yet that have really helped, although when I suffered a bad bought of stress and anxiety brought on by work problems and my husband's state of health - I thought I'd lose him at one point - my GP put me on Prozac and the side effect is that it has helped me deal with the pain of FM and arthritis. At the moment I've been on it for about 9 months but not on repeat prescription, I have to visit my GP every 2 months; to be honest I don't know if they prescribe Prozac on long term repeat.

I'm new here myself but I think you'll find lots of support here.
Plain Jane
UKFM Member

Postby Ariel » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:56 pm

Thank you all - I really appreciate it.

Yesterday I took some strong painkillers and just slept until 6 this morning. Now halfway through my day at work and the pain is surging back - my legs are so heavy.

I've given work an update - all I can do is hope that they continue to understand while I try to get to the bottom of all of this.

Many people are saying that it might not be FM, but this is the first time I've looked at a condition and said: I match about 90% of those symptoms.

I know I must not stress, as I know it flares up when I do, but the not knowing is making me stress - not good!

Tonight I'll have a bath and chill out (hopefully).
x
Ariel
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:55 pm

:welcome: to the forum :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Ariel » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:20 am

Hello all

I just came back from the docs as I woke with my entire body in pain, it's finally at my feet. Was also suffering from some side-effects from my meds that scared me. Luckily my visit has forced the doc to refer me to a rheumatologist! 10 of my 16 blood tests have come back clear, so looking more and more likely that it's fibro, or similar.

I've been given amitriptyline for pain relief. Worried how the side-effects will affect work...guess I can't worry about that right now. Work are still being very understanding.

I spoke to my singing teacher at the weekend who told me she suffered from candida, but at first was diagnosed with ME. I will seek a nutritionist just to tick that one off. I must admit - I looked at the symptoms and many ring true - expecially the reaction to alcohol (I'm allergic to most) and wheat - plus years of throat infections, thrush and recent diagnosis of asthma and eczema. In a world of confusion and just testing for everything and hope there is a diagnosis soon.

xxx
Ariel
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Where to Say Hello