FM = isolation?

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

FM = isolation?

Postby katy1of3 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:35 pm

Hi,

My name is Katy, I am 36, married with 2 boys, the oldest aged 4 years and the youngest is 8 months. I stopped working a year ago (made redundant) but I am not considering work at the moment, 2 children is more work than I can cope with already.

Just found this site after 10 years of FM. I was diagnosed about 7 years ago. TBH I hadn't really looked up anything FM related for quite a few years (lost hope I guess of finding anything useful but my mum suggested having a look in case any new supposed miracle cures had appeared - Ha!)

It all started quite suddenly 10.5 years ago with a viral type illness and I just never recovered.

My symptoms (that I can think of right now), not sure if all are FM related;

Muscle pain, by far worst in my legs and lower spine but not isolated to those areas
Constant tension type headaches
Fibrofog
Horrible pain behind my eyes
Fatigue
Period probs (painful and heavy)
Have developed really ridgy nails since being ill (not sure if FM related or not)
Terrible memory
Anxiety/panic attacks
Restless legs
Legs feel like they're on fire to me but normal temp to the touch
Twitchy muscles
Many tender/sore spots

Any blood tests I've had have always shown a very high rheumatoid factor (but no RA type symptoms) and the liver function of a heavy drinker (without the drinking).

Medication;
200mg slow release Tramadol twice daily
50mg Sertaline a day
25mg (I think) amytripaline (sp?)
Plus paracetamol and codeine when required

Over the years I've found myself becoming more and more isolated, especially since finishing work, really hoping that this site will help with this.

Also I have spent a lot of time questioning the wisdom of having a second child as I am really struggling to cope.

Probably quite contraversially I carried on taking the Tramadol and Sertaline at the current doses (only recently started the amytriptaline) throughout both my pregnancies and whilst breast feeding. Couldn't fathom how I would cope without the Tramadol. The Drs at the hospital weren't really that bothered but the GP wasn't keen. I was told that there was a risk of the babies being born with respiratory distress syndrome, both were fine however.

My general view of trying to cope with FM is to take whatever drugs I needs to have a reasonable quality of life and to make the effort occasionally to go shopping ( something i've always loved) even though I will suffer physically it helps me mentally. I am looking forward to seeing other peoples coping strategies.

Katy
katy1of3
UKFM Member

Re: FM = isolation?

Postby difly » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:06 pm

Hi Katy im fairly new myself to the forum but so glad i found it ,it helps me put things in perspective ,and you can learn so much ,Iv been diagnosed a year now but had symptoms for at least 3 years , my family are all grown up now but can still have lots goin on i like to help out with the grandchildren when i can .only just had meds sorted
tramadol, pregabalin ,, naproxon and diazepam when needed , still workin just about and looking to retire next year carnt come quick enough .
You will find loads of good tips on coping strategies on the forum , for me its important to pace myelf,dont rush and enjoy the good days which are few and far between , pain every day at different levels been havin regular physio and this can help , lots of stretchin and walkin, try to have a healthy diet and yes i know what you mean about shoppin it does help to take your mind off fibro
sorry to hear you strugglin to cope with little one it must be hard when you not feelin good , but you sound positive and and not lettin the fibro get you down, keep strong and take care xxxx
difly
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:19 pm

:wave: :wave: Katy and :welcome: to the forum :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

I'm sorry to hear how you're feeling at the moment, having a couple of small people to look after can be tiring and a bit frustrating at the best of times, so when something like FM gets thrown into the mix, things go to a whole new level :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

There is a lot of info and advice on here, so if you have a look round you may come across some useful/helpful suggestions. We try to support each other thru those darker days as well as celebrate when someone has some good news :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

FM does leave you feeling isolated, I know at one point I was a virtual recluse and would avoid going out at all if I could. Have you thought of looking for a support group in your area?? There is a part of the forum purely for support groups, and the main site has info about groups across the country. If there isn't anything about one in your area, Googling your area along with FM could throw something up something, and sometimes adding CFS/ME to the search can bring something up if there is a combined group.

Have you said anything to anyone about how you're struggling with your boys?? If not, it may be something you might want to consider as there may be a local group/organisation who could offer you support, advice etc.

If there's anything you want to know about, all you need to do is ask and we'll see how we can help you with it :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:46 pm

:welcome: to the forum Katy :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby cherrybee » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:13 pm

Hi katy :welcome: tk care :-)
cherrybee
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Hi Katy and :welcome: to the forum :wave:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby katy1of3 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:51 am

Thanks for the welcome guys,

I will definately be looking for some sort of support group, I really need to leave the house more often!

I am looking forward to reading through some of the posts to see how others cope and there seem to be various medications people take that i've never heard of (haven't been to the doc about the fibro for quite a few years now apart from the occasional script review, which consists of ;

Doc "Do you still need the drugs?"

Me "Yes!" :roll:

Katy
katy1of3
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:05 am

This linky gives you some info about meds that are often used to try and manage FM http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalg ... tment.aspx If you have a look thru to see what there is, you could see which your GP thinks might be suitable for you to try.

As well as looking for a support group, have you any parent and toddler groups in your area, or something like TumbleTots, as well as getting you out and meeting other people, it could help with the boys as well......new friends to play with can almost tire out a busy boy :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Where to Say Hello