Hello

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello

Postby Takeabreaknow » Tue May 15, 2012 4:26 pm

Hello I am new to this forum and to be honest I have always avoided them at all costs and support groups. I did get in touch with one once but it was so depressing with so little positive input or output that it only served to reinforce the feeling of better to keep well away. I have had FM for many years and for the most part managed it quite well, with not so good times that would be followed by better times but it was always there to be managed.

I now also have chronic nerve pain due to problems the MRI's show the nerves being squished as they come out of the spinal column. I have been offered drugs but as there is no cure I feel I need to keep them until I can no longer cope with the pain. Likewise they have offered nerve blocks but as they become less effective over time and use I also want to keep them for later. I also do not want to be drugged up and unable to do much.

So why am I writing this on a site I said I would never visit?

I am usually a very positive person, always finding another way to still do things. I manage my energy like a bank account where the energy replaces the money and must not be allowed to go overdrawn. I plan ahead to manage the FM and do everything but in a way that is best for me. I am me first and the FM just happens to be there, I have always dreaded people thinking of me as the person with FM and then me the person afterwards. When I meet with people and the normal greeting of 'How are you' is said I always say fine and if needed later will say more than that but most often not as there is little point.

At home I put in place a long time ago the morning greeting was not to include 'what sort of night did you have' ? This was not needed as it was known that nights were generally 'long and painful' Instead it was to be a positive 'Morning' So I know I can do it, but now I have this nerve pain I am having times when I doubt my ability to keep so well managed. My family and friends all see me as this person who justs gets on with it. So I am going to try visiting this forum and will do my best to both give over things that might be useful to others but also learn to accept support myself. Thanks for listening .
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Tue May 15, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split into clearer paragraphs for easier reading
Takeabreaknow
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hello

Postby masonsbarms » Tue May 15, 2012 6:19 pm

hi ,first i would like to say i am sometimes negative and sometimes positive.

i have found this site very helpful and has got me through some bad times.

remember we are here to help each other.

you have to do what is right for you , you sound a very strong person but we all need help somrtimes.
it is not a sighn of weakness.

hope you get some help form here and stay as well as possible.
take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue May 15, 2012 6:54 pm

:wave: :wave: and :welcome: to the forum. We always like to hear about new suggestions and ideas that could be of help, so please feel free to share anything that you have come across that may benefit some of us. There is a lot of info and advice on here as well, so have a look and read thru things as you may find some suggestions that could help you.

We have had a few members in the past who have joined us, sharing a similar view to you about forums and support groups. It hasn't taken long for a lot of them to see that this view isn't quite right and there there is support and humour and a bit of :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: on here, as sometimes it's the only way to get thru the day :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

There are times when things seem bleak on here, as if we're all synchronising with our flares and problems. It can seem like the bleakness is endless but even in these overwhelming dark times, there are still those little nuggets and gems of brightness, which are where the positiveness and :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: starting to come back. It can take a while, but it does return.

The letting someone see how you really are and feel is a major obstacle for a lot of us, whether it comes from pride, stubbornness or that ingrained belief that we have to carry on regardless of how bad we feel. Once you can start doing it tho, it gets a little easier each time and it can be quite liberating being able to express/release some of the feelings and thoughts that can build up.

Just ask about anything you're wondering about and we'll try to help you with it :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Wed May 16, 2012 1:37 pm

:welcome: to the forum :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby cherrybee » Fri May 18, 2012 6:56 pm

Hi takeabreak, welcome to the forum. Like you I try to 'get on with it',
thats why its good to come here, if you are feeling positive yeh great,
but on a negative day, is good to get it out of the system, especially if you
cant really share it with those..near and dear...lots of friendly peeps here,
and good info..so :welcome: tk care x
cherrybee
UKFM Member