Hello from Essex :-)

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello from Essex :-)

Postby NinaT » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Hello all,

My name is Nina.I am 40 years old, married to a gorgeous man who is very understanding and supportive with a 16 year old son who thinks he is invincible :lol:

I've only just joined this site but was diagnosed with FM about 6 years ago.
I think I have been in a bit of denial/confusion about my ( shall we say ailments for want of a better word ).

It's going to sound like a catalogue of 'moans', but I feel I need to explain the path that has led me here. Please bear with me :crazy:

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditus in 1998. I had struggled ever since the birth of my son in 1996 and the crunch came when we had a joint housewarming/2nd birthday party. It took me 5 days to 'recover' from this and it was at this point that I took myself to the doctors in desperation. Several tests/blood tests later and a diagnosis of Hashimoto's came back. I was, of course, put on Thyroxine and sent away to try and make sense of all the symptoms that came along with this condition.
Unfortunately, this probably overshadowed what else was going on with me, the FM. Many of the symptoms for both conditions are very similar. In the midst of all this I have also had spinal surgery for a prolapsed disc and a mis-aligned disc in my neck and all the accompanying pain/difficulties that go along with that. It's so difficult to tell sometimes what is to blame for the pain.

I lost my mum to Ovarian cancer in 2005 at the age of 63. We nursed her at home for the last month of her life. Approximately a year later I was at the doctor's surgery, crying all over her, at my wits end in pain and feeling about as low and lethargic as you can get. I hasten to add that I have a marvellous doctor who has been an absolute rock throughout the last few years. She sent me to a Rheumatologist for tests and the diagnosis of FM came back. Alas, I had the most patronising, belittling man sit across a desk from me and tell me that my symptoms were all because I had not grieved 'properly' for my mum. I walked out of the consultation disgusted and extremely upset and never went back. Hence the reason why I think I've been in denial for the past 6 years with regards to the FM. He had me believing that it was all in my head.

I had counselling for my mum's death. The counsellor told me that-in his opinion- I had a good grasp of my grief and there really was very little he could do to alter where I was at that point. I had 'the stages' of grief to go through. Losing my mum is something I will never recover from but we learn to live with that void that is left behind.

So here we are back to the present day, where a few weeks ago I started, what I have now come to realise is, probably the worst flare-up of the FM and was once more crying all over my doctor, bless her. I said to her that I feel stupid for not putting the pieces of the puzzle together sooner and recognising that all my pains/problems are more than likely the FM. She was, as usual, absolutely wonderful and after handing me a tissue, tried me on Amitriptyline but they made my restless legs at night unbearable, so I have been back today and she has prescribed Gabapentin. However, I am nervous about taking them as there is a startling list of side effects and not a great deal of positive feedback about their ability to help.

If you're still awake after reading this I look forward to chatting with you and hopefully offering/receiving support xxx
NinaT
UKFM Member

Re: Hello from Essex :-)

Postby masonsbarms » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:54 pm

hi nina sorry to hear you have had such a bad time,

its hard to loose someone so close so young who have not had a full life.

i am quite new to all this only diagnosed in feb but had it for a while.

this site and the people on it have helped me a great deal and i hope you get the same out of it as i have.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby NinaT » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:08 pm

Hello Masonsbarms,

Thank you for your reply. There's so much to look at on here. I'm sure it will be of great help and support.

You take care too xx
NinaT
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:31 pm

:wave: :wave: Nina and :welcome: to the forum :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

Like lots of us on here, you've been on the epic journey to finally get a dx, so you're in good company :clap: :clap: What you've said about being in denial is all part of the FM process, we each have to find our way thru things to get to the point where we can live with FM as part of our lives. There are several stages, similar to the various stages of grief that we pass thru, go back and revisit, then pass thru again on the way to that point of acceptance.

Don't worry about sounding like you're moaning or anything, we all understand how you can think and feel as we've all been there are some point. You'll find lots of info and advice about the various things we've experienced, if you have a look thru things, there may be some usefull suggestions for you.

Anything you're wondering about, just ask and we'll try to help you with it :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby NinaT » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:39 pm

Hello FluppyPuffy,

Thank you for the welcome. I've had a skim around the various sections of the forum, picking out key words that are specific to me. I hope to read more as time goes on :-) It's great to have a place like this to 'run' to in times of need, where you won't feel that you have to explain yourself to anybody. No fear of being judged.
NinaT
UKFM Member

Postby Andrew_Z » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:30 am

Hello Nina.
You might find things that are familiar, but I was delighted to also find things here that had been a mystery to my doctors. Welcome to the fibro mafia ;-)
Andrew_Z
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:37 am

NinaT wrote: :-) It's great to have a place like this to 'run' to in times of need, where you won't feel that you have to explain yourself to anybody. No fear of being judged.

At times it feels like a sanctuary being able to come on here, esp in the times when things feel and seem so oppressive and bleak :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:23 pm

:welcome: to the forum Nina :wave:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby NinaT » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:29 pm

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for the welcome. The Fibro Mafia made me laugh. I had images of a Bugsy Malone ( children's film version ) machine gun shooting cream pies. If only we could gang up and eradicate FM!
NinaT
UKFM Member

Postby NinaT » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:33 pm

FluppfPuffy I wish I had known about this site earlier. My husband found it for me and suggested I give it a try. I'm not really one for forums and sharing my thoughts and feelings, so my opening 'hello' was quite a challenge for me, but it felt good to actually get it out there.

Shazq, hello and thank you for the welcome :-)
NinaT
UKFM Member

Postby Andrew_Z » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:00 pm

Well as long as you don't post anything like I post then you'll be okay :-)
Andrew_Z
UKFM Member

Postby NinaT » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:01 pm

Ooer, sounds ominous! Perhaps you'd better give me a list of do's and dont's :lol:
NinaT
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello