[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - new, in Glasgow

new, in Glasgow

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

new, in Glasgow

Postby steph1984 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:05 pm

Hello everyone,

First of all, I'd like to thank you for providing me with lots of valuable information on this site. I've certainly learned a lot more on here than I have from my doctors...
I have been having health problems for over 2 years now, starting with Graves' disease. When I was put on medication (carbimazole), I quickly experienced severe fatigue, and aches and pains everywhere. As the endocrinologist denied it was all thyroid-related, I was then referred to a neurologist, and tested for MS and other neurological conditions. All the tests came back negative. The neurologist, who suspected fibromyalgia, then referred me to a rheumatologist who then gave me the diagnosis of 'probable fibromyalgia'.
I've now been seeing a physio for the last few months to try and manage my pain, but I've yet to notice any improvement, and the physio has said that I'm unlikely to benefit from the exercise. I have tried many different drugs (amitryptiline, gabapentin, prozac etc), but due to nasty side-effects, including very vivid dreams, I have stopped taking them.

I've been finding it quite hard to cope, especially as I have quite a demanding full-time job and now live on my own. I was in a long-term relationship (I was engaged) but after supporting my partner for approx 3 years, I couldn't cope with that on top of everything else.
Some days I just don't know what to do with myself, and I feel that everything is too much to deal with.

Sorry for the rant, I've just found that not many people understand how debilitating it is. When I try to explain to them how I feel, they generally respond by saying: "But you look ok."

How do you cope?
steph1984
UKFM Newbie

Re: new, in Glasgow

Postby Mccoll2u » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:11 pm

Hi there welcome im a fellow Scot myself grangemouth born and bred I know you said you are working so if you get time off I recommend a good support group I have recently joined one and was surprised how many ppl went x
Mccoll2u
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:25 pm

:wave: Steph and :welcome: to the forum :penguin: :penguin: :penguin:

Hopefully now you've joined us, you'll find some suggestions and ideas on here to help make things a little better for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: We do our best to support and advise each other, and I hope we'll be able to do the same for you :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

Trying to explain to someone who doesn't have FM what it is extremely difficult as they usually don't have anything they've experienced to compare it with. To help make this easier there are some topics on here that people often print up and give to people to read. If you have a look at "One For The Non~Believers" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4732 and "The Spoon Theory" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1761 you may they help you.

Have you told your employer of your diagnosis?? If not then it may be an idea to do so, as the Equalities Act 2010 covers FM and once an employee advises their employer of an illness/condition/disability, the employer then has to make "reasonable adjustments" to make the job as suitable as possible for the employee.

Not sure what to say about the physio as quite often where FM is concerned, something that may help one of us may not do anything for another. If you think the physio isn't making a difference, it might be worth seeing if there is something else you could try. Some people have found hydrotherapy helps, others have found acupuncture and/or massage helps them.

Anything you want to know about, just ask and we'll try to help you with it :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Salgor » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:28 pm

:wave:
Hi Steph.
Welcome to the forum. I have found out lots of information on here too. When you experience different symptoms and then find that others are experiencing a similar thing it doesn't make the pain better but it does reassure that this is "normal" ( :crazy: ). I am in Livingston and I know there is a support group but have never plucked up the courage to go along. The reason being that no one has crossed the t's and dotted the i's to say that I catergorically have FM although the consultant says he would put me at lease 75% along the FM spectrum. Nobody seems to tell you anything concrete. :facepalm:

Sally

:welcome:
Salgor
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:40 pm

:welcome: to the forum Steph :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello