New to the forum, new to fibromyalgia.

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby mcconnellla » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:07 am

Hi everyone,

This is all very new to me, my name is Laura, I'm 24 and live in London with my 2yr son and partner. I'm a nurse and only working part time. I have had back problems from I was 5 months pregnant, ( told it would go away once baby was born) funny enough it didn't then the story of, only ten percent of women have this problem after birth (I'm just unlucky appar) months of Physio, pain killers, morphine patches, acupuncture and chiropractors etc. still no direct answer of what was wrong other than 'facet joint &muscle/ligament pain' continue with pain classes, exercises and Physio. Go back to work from maternity, lasted 3 weeks off sick or 5 months. Since this iv still not got anywhere until I see a private consultant who after checks and tests explains its fibro. Newly put on pregabalin & quinine with all other meds. Only now I see all the other links and symptoms; IBS, migranes, numbness, pins and needles and fatigue.

Sorry for extremely long post but I don't know how to deal with having this for life, I'm young, a mother and no one seems to understand? My friends switch off when I talk to them, (all I do is moan and have something wrong every other week!!) how to explain what is going with me is very difficult?? Any help out there.

I find it difficult to work and spend days off bathing in Epsom salts and resting to enable me to go to work. What are the options for the people that can't work? Support?

Help ...
mcconnellla
UKFM Member

Re: New to the forum, new to fibromyalgia.

Postby denys » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:22 am

Hi Laura and a big :welcome: to the forum :wave: you have a lot to come to terms with and with the right support/meds may find it possible to return to work eventually, maybe it will be on reduced hours/duties but it is possible. Some people find they have long periods were things improve significantly before returning to the level you find yourself at at the moment, others dont.

FM is very individual and as you probably know response to treatment is too :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: If you have to finish working then the answer is benefits and that is another very precarious route with a lot of us having to fight tooth and nail to get what we need :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

I hope we can offer you support when you need it and if you have any specific questions please dont worry about asking, someone will have an answer. Otherwise just jump in :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby mcconnellla » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:24 pm

I am currently working just part time but I find myself doing everything I can not too struggle with it, I can't do much else on my days off, but to do all the hot baths and rest etc. it's very difficult with my toddler but I do have support from my partner. Although sometimes I think he's fed up with all the problems and illnesses. He does most of the house work and tasks of my son which can be soul destroying at times. No one understands, I'm at the point I can't talk to my friends as at this stage; it's in head, I'm always negative and depressing to talk to. But all I want is to talk to someone about how I feel and someone to listen. I don't know anyone with fibro. Just feels like I live to get to work... I am trying to be positive but it's just getting to terms with the diagnosis I wasn't wanting.
mcconnellla
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:33 pm

:welcome: to the forum Laura :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

Sorry to hear how things are for you at the moment :grouphug: :grouphug: Being told you have FM does turn everything you know as life upside down, and makes you wonder just how things will carry on :-? :-? :-? There are ways and means to get some control over it, a bit of time and patience is needed to get there.

My son was a toddler when I was recruited to the FM ranks, and I was really worried about how he was going to be affected with me not being able to do all the usual mum things with him. At first I tried battling against it by carrying on as usual, but it was obvious that wasn't the way to go, so Plan B was needed :-? :-? :-? I ended up finding things for us to do while sat on the sofa or at the table, whilst the more physical times were handled by OH and grandads. And the one thing I really learnt from it was that quality is far more important than quantity. If you can find something you can do with your son while sat down that you both enjoy, just a few mins of doing that will make a real difference to both of you. For the football and physical play, see if any special male family members and friends are able to help out. Again, a few minutes doing something enjoyable will make him a happy :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

When it comes to friends (and family), having something like FM quite often brings out their true colours :-x :-x :-x Whilst this can be upsetting, esp when it is someone you thought would be unconditionally supportive, there can also be pleasant and unexpected surprises, I found support from people I never thought it would come from :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

I think I've waffled on at you for enough now, any more and I'll end up making you :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: With all the info and advice on here, you may find some answers to questions whirling around your head. If there's anything you want to know about just ask and we'll try to help you with it :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby mcconnellla » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:57 pm

Thankyou for all advice, from both of you, none of it bores me at all. I'm a nurse myself and my career and life is helping people which I love to do so it's nice to get advice and bits of others experiences so I know it's not just me that is dealing with it. That's great help with my son it can be difficult and as he's not at that age of talking lots and understanding there is stages I can do for the quality time. Thanks a lot. Xx
mcconnellla
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:15 pm

:welcome: Laura

Just wrote on your other post in introduce yourself.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello