[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Hi from someone who thought they coud cope with this alone!

Hi from someone who thought they coud cope with this alone!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hi from someone who thought they coud cope with this alone!

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi I am also a newbie who thought up to now she could tackle all this on her own !
I was diagnosed by GP in January and confirmed by consultant in April. I had previously had a severe back injury and was putting all the aches ,pains and tiredness down to some serious meds I was taking. To cut a long story short I need help and advice.
I came off work in May and started Lyrica. It has got rid of most of the pain but am left with the fatigue and some serious lyrica side effects. I am due back to work very soon but am scared about how I can pace myself at work,given I still need to sleep during the morning and afternoon. I work in an office so not very physically taxing but need to be on the ball mentally. Any helpful ideas on how to structure your day in order to stay in work,before I came off I was so exhausted I was using annual leave just to help me get throught the week and went straight to bed on getting home. Not very good for family life! thanks for listening. :-?
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Re: Hi from someone who thought they coud cope with this alone!

Postby shazq » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:18 pm

:welcome: to the forum iceskatemum :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:26 pm

Hi iceskatemum and :welcome: to the forum :wave: have you thought of changing the time you take your meds so that you are more alert in the morning perhaps???? are you having a phased return to work, its quite important for you to try this as jumping straight back in to full time or the same hours as before will have you off work again in no time. Phasing it will at least allow you time to rest up in the afternoon and gradually have you back in gently so that the fatigue doesnt overwhelm you :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:01 am

Thanks Shazq for the welcome and Denys for the advice. :-D

I was advised to take the lyrica night & morning.I am on the lowest recommended dose and at the moment I am trying to take the morning tablets as early as possible so that i can have a sleep and still try and get up at a "normal" time.

I have a work Dr appointment very soon, so will look into phased return as I appreciate that at the moment completing a full day would be difficult. I am hoping the Dr will have other advice about how I can remain in work, as I'm sure given the size of the organisation I am not the first Fibro sufferer.
One of my main fears about work is not being able to get back full time...or worse loosing my job ...as I am the main earner . Given my sick record to date I have exhausted my company sick pay scheme and am relying on savings to get by. I know I am ahead of myself but I guess I am still in shock and keep hoping that the Docs are wrong and I can get back to "normal" although as my sick record would testify I haven't been normal in years :lol:

Thanks again will let you know how I get on. x
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby isitme » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:46 pm

hi ism,

i,m with you on the daytime naps, i put a video on for kids and am soon away with the fairies. they always joke i never see a full film and miss the end, middle or beginning of something.

there is alot to take in and at some point there will be the dreaded "life review" where you have to decide can you work pt/ft, rearrange your finances to fit etc.

take care and hang in there.

:-) :-) :-) :-) :welcome: :welcome:
isitme
UKFM Member

Postby CottonSocks » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:06 pm

Hello :wave: :-D x x
CottonSocks
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:16 pm

I hope your appointment goes well and things can be arranged to help you stay in work, having to give it up is a huge decision and one that generally gets taken for many of us, I was made redundant after my 2nd period of 6 months off :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: So I cant really blame the company though I did at the time, it took a long while for me to realise that I couldnt fulfill my contractual obligations in any capacity and so they really didnt have a choice :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: 1st time I've ever really admitted that :-D :-D :-D :-D

So I'm keeping everything :fingerscrossed: for you for a positive outcome stay positive and hopefully they will be willing to work with you towards a happy outcome for all :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:23 pm

:wave: :wave: Iceskatemum and :welcome: to the forum :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

Been reading thru what you've been saying about work, I have a lot of respect for fellow FMers who work :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: Knowing how I feel each day, I know I wouldn't be able to do it :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Am I right in thinking that your employer knows what you have been dx'd with FM?? If not, then they need to know as under the Equalities Act 2010 an employer has to make "reasonable adjustments" for employees with disabilities/illnesses/long standing conditions to make their job as suitable for the employee as possible.

Looking into a phased return is a good idea as you can gradually build up your hours at a steady rate. As Denys has said, going back and jumping straight back into how you normally work could cause you more problems :facepalm: :facepalm:

Not sure what else to suggest work wise as it's been a long time since I was employed :-? :-? Your employers Occy Health~type people may be able to help with advice. Alternatively, a Disability Employment Advisor, based in job centres may be able to help you and your employer find the right balance of things you need for a working day. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10001 This linky explains more about what a DEA does.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:14 pm

Thanks again everyone for the great advice. really appreciate it

Update on work :
I am now on week 8 of my sick leave and have just had my occupational health appointment. Not sure if the doctor was well clued up on FM but he at least didn't query the syndrome and tell me to pull my socks up .

He listened to what I had to say and then suggested that it might take a few more month to get me back into a regime that will allow me to work , he also suggested that P/T return was probably the best way to come back but only after my GP recommended it.
Have since discovered from another form I asked the GP to fill out, that he thinks I might be 16 - 20 weeks off work. Thats a bit of a shock as I have been saying I will go back after this next sick leave note expires. (10 wk total)

At the moment however if I'm honest I am not totally sure I will be able to get back to work as there are times I feel so tired and fatigued
I am really not coping well with the uncertainty of all of this, I am so used to being in control of my work life that this is a totally unknow to me and quite scary.

Would love to hear how others have coped with this issue .
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Return to Where to Say Hello