Am I the only guy?!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Am I the only guy?!

Postby justDave » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:35 am

Hi everyone. I’m Dave. :-D

It seems like FMS is something that affects women a lot more than men. Is that a fair assessment?

If so, that might put me amongst ‘the few’. I don’t have a firm diagnosis as yet, but saw the Neuro yesterday and he indicated a strong leaning towards this, especially since my mother had it too. His next steps towards confirming that are “nerve checks”, which I assume means more delightful electric shocks!

I have one rather immediate question, which is whether or not FMS is progressive/degenerative? My mother died of cancer about 6 years ago, but I recall her FMS getting progressively worse over the years from the onset of her symptoms. Does it always get worse? Does it ever get better?
Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you'll be a mile away from them... and you'll have their shoes!
justDave
UKFM Newbie

Re: Am I the only guy?!

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:28 am

Hi Dave & :welcome:

It is a condition that effects more women then men but there are many men out there and alot visit the forum.

I would have thought these nerve tests are to rule out any other diagnoses as fibro is assessed on symptoms and and a tender point test which is carried out by the rhuematologist.

Sorry to hear about your mum, my personal experience and thoughts are that fibro does not get better and is progressive in my case it has got worse with lots of added secondary illnesses. The fibro is not degenerative and will not harm the body.

When i was first diagnosed there was no help & support/information which is why i feel i progressed. Nowadays there is alot more help out there with CBT therapys to help you pace and learn to cope with symptoms. Also more medications to help relieve some of the pain. Then there is hydrotherapy/physiotherapy and much more. Its also having a GP on board that is willing to help you and to work out an action plan for you.

There is lots of information and support accross the boards so if you need any help just ask :wave:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:36 pm

:welcome: to the forum Dave :wave: :wave: :wave:

You're right in thinking that FM affects far more of us ladies than it does you gents, and that shows in the ratio of male to female members on here :shock: :shock: There are some male FMers who post on a fairly regular basis, so you're not alone, just a bit of a rare species where FM is concerned.

FM isn't regarded as progressive or degenerative by healthcare professionals as it doesn't cause any damage to joints and things like something such as arthritis does. However, over time a lot of us have found that we have got worse with things like movement/mobility.

There are people who have said they have FM which has got better, but these people are very few and far between. Rather than get better, some FMers have found that they have had periods of time where their FM has gone into a remission~like or dormant state. Others are able to carry on with their lives as they have found the right combo of things for them.

As to whether it will get worse, that depends on how the individual as FM affects us all so very differently. Some people reach a level and stay there, whilst others find that as time passes they become more and more limited/restricted in what they are able to do. Unfortunately, the only way you'll know what will happen to you is to see what happens over time.

There is a lot of info and advice on here, covering all sorts of topics, so have a look round and see what there is. Just ask if there's anything you want to know about and we'll try to help you with it :wave: :wave: :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby justDave » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:17 pm

Thanks both of you :-)

I do have a question about heat, and pressure, but I'll find the right sub-forum to post it in...
Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you'll be a mile away from them... and you'll have their shoes!
justDave
UKFM Newbie

Postby wolfstar » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi Dave,
You're not the onl guy but as the others have said 'we are a rare breed' ;-) it can effect everyone in a different way. Myself i have gone from a very active working life to being on a stick for very very short distances to using a scooter for anything above about 15-20mtrs in 6yrs, where as others can function fairly good.

It all seems to be down to the luck of the draw and how it's managed,but even this can be hit and miss.It took 5yrs to find the best combo of meds that worked for me, but since then ive had to have one of my pain ones upped.

The one thing i would say is that if your imideate family learn about it and then give you good support it can help adjusting you amd your families life style to suit both you and them.
:coffee1:
wolfstar

Is fibromyalgia real :?:
YES, its painfully :scream-1: real :pull-hair:
wolfstar
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:45 pm

definitely not the only one there are quite a few on here as the others have said (I'm not by the way, I'm female) so :welcome: to the forum and hopefully we can offer you some support should you need it :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:11 pm

:welcome: Dave :beer:

We do seem to be getting a few more guys being diagnosed lately :yikes: but still less compared to women :lol: anyway sure your get the guys along to say hi. :wave:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Lemonzest2012 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:11 am

Male fibromite checking in *brofists* :shock: :-D
Lemonzest2012
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello