Hello from London!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello from London!

Postby mfcasio » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi all,

I have recently been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, I am 29, male and living in London.

Up until the begining of 2012 I was a moderately active individual and would cycle 7-8 miles a day, I was expereinceing moderately high levels of stress and was periodically effected by headaches, "the fog" and joint pain. My previous doctor assured me that this due to my recent promotion to a management position and that it would go once I had settled into my new post.

In Feb 2012 I moved further away from work and my daily bike ride increase to 12-13 miles a day, the headaches and pains came back along with extreme exhoustion and I started loosing days at work due to sickness. I had just joined a new GPs and it was here that my new doctor promptly referred me to a speicalist who diagnosed me with FM.

I believe that the condition may have been triggered by the sharp increase in excercise, combined with ongoing stress at work. I am now unable to cycle to work as I do not feel alert enought to risk the busy London roads and I am extremely concerned about work.

I am joining this forum in the hope to meet others of a similar age who are in work to share coping skills, but I also look forward to getting to know all of you, receive advice and share experiences! 8-)
mfcasio
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hello from London!

Postby FRX » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Hi again mfcasio (!)

It's good to hear about your background and interesting to hear your 'trigger' for FMS. Do you commute to London on the tube/train now? And are you still working in a management capacity?

I think my FMS was triggered due to hormonal changes as a teen and low grade tonsillitis for years. I seemed to be okay during early 20's when I had minimal stress and was active. But whiplash in Dec 2010 seems to have set this off again...and as I said earlier, this recent promotion seems to have been the catalyst for my flare up for the last 13 weeks or so.

Do you have any coping mechanisms for work? Or does anyone else reading?

I find that loose/comfy clothes work help tummy tenderness...a weak milky coffee with a teaspoon of honey helps sore throats and foggy heads...as does a brief walk at lunchtimes.....

FRX :shock:
FRX
UKFM Newbie

Postby mfcasio » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:28 pm

Hello! Yes, I take the train now, which is difficult as I find public transport stressful, hence why I cycled before!

I haven't really developed many coping mechanisums yet, but one thing I do is go into "isolation" during my lunch break, this means not talking to anyone, including phone. Just reading a book, or even having a nap. It helps a little. I have also banned myself from going out after work and I try to go for a short bike ride after work too some times (10 minutes max) to get the blood flowing, I don't know how much it helps but it makes me feel better about myself!
mfcasio
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi and :welcome: to the forum :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:05 pm

:welcome: to the forum mfcasio :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello