[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Hello from sunny Sussex!

Hello from sunny Sussex!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello from sunny Sussex!

Postby FRX » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:34 pm

Hi,

Thank you for reading this. I am a 26 year old woman...

I've been diagnosed with FMS since Sept 2011 but have been suffering since my early teens.
I live and work (full time) in Sussex. Up until now I've been managing my work-life balance, but since taking a promotion, commuting 2+ hours a day by bus and trying to plan a wedding and learn to drive, I've been suffering from a bad flare up.

Currently my symptoms are headaches, nausea, dizziness, fatigue, all over aches, tingles in hands, IBS and brain fog.I feel like this EVERY day now, whereas before I would have good and bad days. I saw my consultant who only suggested taking more drugs (pregamblin) but I would prefer to try and tackle this on my own.

I guess what I'm struggling with is working full time, feeling frustrated that people don't know just how bad I feel and the effect this is having on my Fiancee as well as my emotional well being.

Does any one have any words of advice for a newbie like me? How long does other's flare ups last?

:( FRX
FRX
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hello from sunny Sussex!

Postby mfcasio » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:49 pm

Hi FRX,

I am also struggling working full time, and as I have posted else where, I am concerned with how I am going to hold down my new job and my post-grad studies.

So far, as a recent sufferer, I don't have much advice, but I wanted to reply to your post as you seem to be someone in a similar position to me. I know those of us who are able to work should be thankful that it is not worse but as someone who has spent 3 years working so get into my chosen career (I work in museum education, a difficult job market to enter) and the 7 years privious to that trying to work out what I wanted to do, I don't want to loose it due to my FM!

That said, looking at all the stuff you are doing I would recommend dropping some of it for later. For example, leaving learning to drive for after your wedding?

I am currrently have to make some similar cut backs. I work full time, volunteer one day a week, I'm learning spanish, I'm a painter, and have an MA looming in October. I know I will have to put some of these things on hold for a year or two until my MA is over. Better that than getting more ill.

Good luck! :-D
mfcasio
UKFM Newbie

Postby FRX » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:04 pm

Hi mfcasio,

Thanks for reaching out to me :-o

Reading through what you do it sounds like you could do with cutting back too! I hear what you are saying, I know some people can't work and would be envious of this fact. I am grateful that mine isn't worse. Saying that at the moment I feel so ill all the time it's hard to appreciate it!! :oops:

I have looked at reviewing my activities....we decided to move the wedding into 2014 to reduce the stress on that front. My driving is important because it will cut my daily commute down from 2.5 hours to 1.5 hours :-D

I spoke with work and they said to continue working one day per week from home (and I can't tell you how much that helps!!) But I'm getting to the point where I need more rest time.... :cry: I guess we both need to be really careful - I feel like I'm balancing on a knife edge here and if I don't listen to my body crying out I could get much worse.

I couldn't move the upper half of my body the other night as I was so tired and all my muscles were killing me....I ended up having a panic attack type thing. I'm scared that this could be it. I'm young and haven't done half the things I want to. It makes me worry about having children, how I would cope....

Thanks for listening
FRX
FRX
UKFM Newbie

Postby mfcasio » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:34 pm

Well good luck with the driving lessons, at least once its over you will have the lessons out the way and save an hour a day in commuting! That will be a great help!

I know what you mean, I am scared its going to get worse too. For now I am ok to work, but I find getting in on time very hard as its the mornings when I suffer most.

I am leaving my management role soon to move into a new job which I can't wait to start! It is a dream job for me and it should also be less stressful than this one. However, it means the stakes are higher should the FM effect my ability to do it!

Anyway. Good luck with the driving lessons! Its good that your employer is understanding enough to let you work from home! :-D
mfcasio
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi FRX and :welcome: to the forum :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:02 pm

:welcome: to the forum FRX :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello