New to site, desperate for help

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

New to site, desperate for help

Postby Flash » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Hi all, Im new to the site so still finding my way around. I was diagnosed with F.M 7 years ago by a rhuematologist who calls a spade a spade! I am probably doing what a lot of us are guilty of. Coping, struggling with the pain, looking after others and finally falling flat on my face before asking for help. I am at my wits end. I recently had to leave a volunteer position I had in a complementary therapy centre as a receptionist and animal rieke healer 2 afternoons a week, for the last 10 years. They wanted rid of the lame ducks!

I have been suffering more than usual for some months now, I don't think weather helps. I have arthritis too which adds to the relentless pain and my speech is much worse. I often have bad migranes, blurry vision, tinnitus and am passing out frequently. If I walk to town one day, the next, I am in bed. I used to be sooo active and now there are times when I can hardly stand or even sit up. It really is like I just switch off, no energy at all.

Recently I have had a call and now a form saying my incapacity is coming to an end and I have to fill forms to say why I can't work. Now I am scared. I can walk sometimes but I am always in pain. I look fine but they don't see the pain or exhaustion. I try to stay optimistic but too much is going on at once.

I keep suffering with depression to the extent that when my son leaves home, I see no more reason to be here. just a feeling not a plan. I hate asking for help, I have always had to cope. brought 2 lads up alone and did a good job regardless. My G.P is useless as are the rest. F.m isn't really taken seriously here.

I was turned down for D.L.A a year ago so gave up the fight. I don't feel strong enough to fight my cause now so can see myself ending up on jobseekers allowance. We don't have a C.A.B here and every journey to another town takes a train or bus journey. I hate to come on moaning but I am desperate for advice. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Split into smaller, clearer paragraphs for easier reading.
Flash
UKFM Member

Re: New to site, desperate for help

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:57 pm

:welcome: to the forum Flash. I've split your post into smaller, clearer paragraphs as a number of us on here struggle with reading large blocks of text.

I'm sorry to hear how things are for you at the moment. There is a lot of info and advice on here, so have a look and a read around, you may come across some suggestions to help you.

WRT the migration from Incap Ben to ESA, there are a number of members going thru different stages of the process, so having a look at the Benefits and Work board might be somewhere for you to start. There are other organisations that you can get help from apart from CAB. DIAL and Welfare Rights have been mentioned a number of times on here, as well as smaller, local groups that may be in your area. As many councils have a one~stop~shop type place covering all sorts of services, maybe contacting your local one could provide some details of who may be able to help you, where they are, the kind of help they provide etc.

With the poor experiences you have had with GPs at your surgery, have you considered changing to a different one?? Asking whether they have someone with experience of dealing with chronic pain conditions might point you in the right direction of a decent one. Alternatively, if there is a support group in your area, they may have some advice about decent GPs, or which ones to avoid seeing. They could also have some advice or details of who could help with the completion of your ESA50 form.

It sounds like you need a thorough review of all your meds, conditions and problems, with what you have said. I know you haven't had much joy from your GPs re:FM, but that doesn't mean that they can't help you with some of the other things you have going on. Maybe trying a different approach to what you have used before might start things off. I used to go in for appt not knowing what I wanted/needed to sort out and the GP had to coax it out of me. These days I go with a list of problems, the most pressing matter at the top of it, explain why it's at the top of my list and we take it from there.

I hope you can find the help you need to get your different things sorted out, we'll try to advise and help you about things you want to know about, and hopefully things will start to seem a little brighter for you soon :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Where to Say Hello