[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - newbie, not yet diagnosed

newbie, not yet diagnosed

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby pinky1 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:29 am

Hi there folks,

I'm Helen, 30 years old and a single mummy to my 15 month old daughter :-)

I've been having constant aches and pains for a good while now, but its been more apparent and constant since last winter. At first I just put it down to being a busy single mum and having a pretty active lifestyle.
About 2 and a half months ago I started having muscle spasms and involuntary body jerks just before falling asleep. I also had facial pain and numbness. These symptoms have gone, well apart from some facial pain around my sinuses and now my ears both feel blocked.

Got first set of blood tests to check for the fatigue I've been feeling, they came back normal. Last week my Dr did another set of blood tests which she said were for things like arthritis. They also came back normal. Spoke to her on the phone on monday and asked her what we do next and what she thought this might be. She gave my ibuprofen 400mgs to take 3 times a day (they're doing nothing) so she wants me to continue with them for a couple of weeks and if they're not doing much to go back. She said from the symptoms I have been describing it sounds like fibromyalgia. I'm certainly not looking for anyone on here to say yay or nay. I do have a question, I know of a few people with fibro, I always thought it was really awful pain, like when people have flare ups they have to go to bed or can't really do much? Is they're milder forms of FMS?
So this is a list of my symptoms -

Constant aches all over my body, sometimes quick shooting pains, even find it painful to cut up my toddlers food.

Headaches everyday (thats something i've had since I was 13)

Poor memory and doing things like putting the coffee in the fridge and the milk in the cupboard (I just put this down to baby brain)

Have had previous metal health problems (BPD) from the age of 19 till 2 years ago after intense therapy I now don't fit the full criteria for the diagnosis :-) Have always had trouble sleeping and was on sleeping tablets for 8 years, came off them while pregnant, went back on them for a few months and weaned off them again just over a month ago.

Anyway sorry this is so long. My Dr said when I go back she will be examining the tender points? Can anyone explain how this is done?

Thanks for reading

x
pinky1
UKFM Member

Postby pinky1 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:27 pm

Anyone?
X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pinky1
UKFM Member

Re: newbie, not yet diagnosed

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:57 pm

:welcome:

The tender point test is how they examine you for a diagnoses of fibromyalgia as well as a whole round symptom and life check.

see here http://adam.about.net/encyclopedia/Fibromyalgia.htm

The red spots are the areas that the GP will press on and if most of them (around 12/18) cause extreme pain and discomfort then fibro is a possible diagnoses as long as other conditions are ruled out as fibro symptoms can mimick those of other illnesses especially that of MS and Lupus.

From my own experience and that of many others fibro has started off reasonably mild or at least managable and as time has gone by symptoms increased and spread plus that alot of associated conditions. This is why no one is the same.

Flare ups can be helped by pacing and this can be done/learned by a pain management course or CBT. Its learning your limitations and what brings on intense symptoms. Can take many years before you get to know your own bodys dislikes so its trial and error.

Good luck for your appointment :wave:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby pinky1 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:01 pm

Thanks for your reply Lisa! I keep hoping this pain is just because I'm busy but I know it's not adding up.
Will see how it goes when I go back to the doc.
X

pinky1
UKFM Member

Postby angie68 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:08 pm

helo pinkie 1, i know how you feel im only new to fibro, i need help on "flare ups" what exactly are these, is it more pain than you normally in..??? and my speling eesshhh!!! haha ive had to go back missed oads of words out, pinky like many others you sound the same as me with these symptons, my feet are so annoying burning sensation, ive noticed when i do too much my legs get stabbing pains and ache twice as much, my dr give me amptripyline for night i loe them but sadly codeine dont work for me i need to try another strong painkiller x :( i wish you well and get sorted soon ..x :-D
angie68
UKFM Member

Postby pinky1 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

pinky1
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:23 pm

Hi and :welcome: to the forum :wave: glad you have found us and hope we can help :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby pinky1 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:26 pm

Thanks Denys :-)
X

pinky1
UKFM Member

Postby angie68 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:36 pm

pinky bless ye, thats what im scared what is the future holding for this, me on a morning cant move i used to get up 1 hour before my son for school now its hur n half to get myself moving i feel ok pain scale 4/5 from stiffness as im talking now throughout day moved up 8/9 but annoying is well over 10 cos my pain dosent move or never under a 3 same as most ppl, i have a high pain barrier, but ppl will be different with pain scores, it must be hard cos you goy a little baba and also been on ye own, cant you sleep when baba does, but then again housework needs to be done, what ive learnt on ere in the past few days has been amazing i just hope it will click into my brain, as lisa said it will take time with our bodies what to do, what ive done in the last month i have learnt to say "no" a bit more cos i cannot do what people ask me that upsets me, im too soft hearted and by saying "no" to my parents makes me :( ....good luck and ask for low dosage of amptripyline, i could do with dose of morphine right now so i could have a lovely sleep but dont want to go down that road yet has im in 40s my pain is bad now so god help me or whoever in 10years time :yikes: :yikes: xx
angie68
UKFM Member

Postby pinky1 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:45 pm

Awww thanks Angie! If it is fibro I definitely don't want amitryptiline, I've tried it and it makes me feel awful the next day. My friend is on nortriptiline.
I'm finally med free after years of trying different meds that I didn't actually need and now this :/
X x x x

pinky1
UKFM Member

Postby angie68 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:41 pm

its good without meds i guess i think theres a topic on ere for vitamins and help n coping, some ppl swear by vitamins and food supplements, hope you get sorted bless ye and ye so young ..xxx :-) :-) enjoy your babba
angie68
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:39 pm

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby pinky1 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:56 pm

Thanks so much for the suggestions fluppy! I'm still taking her out for walks everyday. But I have been doing a lot of things on the sofa with her, especially reading :-)
I'm quite sore tonight and as crazy as this may sound I've booked to do a bungee jump on the 22nd of September. This is to raise money for yorkhill hospital, my friends toddler was a patient there and she is terminally ill with leukaemia. I figured if this is fibro and it may well worsen then I'm going to do this jump for a truly inspirational family now. I'm also not allowing myself to look too far ahead and just take everyday as it comes. You'll be all thinking I can't be that sore if I'm off to jump of a bridge haha. I am sore but this will be the only time I'll ever do anything like this. Just hoping I won't feel awful afterwards!
X

pinky1
UKFM Member

Postby angie68 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:54 am

you go girl do your jump!!! as we think sometimes im only aching and sometimes feel sorry for ourselves, but my god that poor girl with leukemina (however spelt) what is she going through!!! so why do we moan ??? but it dosent make us better, yes you will be aching and sore muscles but it will worth it for your mind "look what ive done for my friends bairn" you will probably ache next day, i still do things and i think why have i done that i cant move aching all over, good for you will probably take your mind of your aches n pains for a bit when we help peope, i work with learning difficulties and i dont think of my aches n pains cos i take care of this girl, but i do think how long can i do this, my job not physical but mentally and i love it shes a little love :-D as people say we have to find our own way whats good for us for to live a comfortable life, i used to be really active but cant do has half as much as i did :( but no matter what i do i still have aching n sore muscles just goes up a few more notches on the pain, so is it worth it :!: :!: :!: you enjoy ye jump and enjoy ye weekend x
angie68
UKFM Member

Postby pinky1 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:59 am

Thanks Angie! Yeah I'm just thinking if this is fibro and the possibility of it getting worse in time I may as well go do this now haha.
Because of my previous mental illness and the vast amount of therapy I've done I'm a fairly happy person :-)
Have a great weekend too!
X

pinky1
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Where to Say Hello