How Long do I have to live with this

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

How Long do I have to live with this

Postby FibroSherry247 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi,

I have had fibromyalgia for the best part of 7yrs which has become worse as time has gone on. I am struggling with lack of sleep, use a walking stick to get around due to pain in the left knee, more than right, insomnia, widespread pain, migraines and other unthinkables.

I am 37 yrs old and am at a fed up stage to be quite honest. I would love to go out and work and be able to enjoy life a bit more but its just not going to happen, as you pay for it later when you are stuck in bed and cannot move for a week. Its such a shame that other people dont see the fire I have burning inside me that would tell them how much I want to live a normal life because they seem to think I enjoy being at home all day, everyday watching everyone else getting on with their lives.

I have tried almost everything going from oxycontin to herbal remedies as I think that putting a load of chemicals in your body for a long time can have dire effects on your body and cause other problems.

I am in the process of trying to find a job where I can work from home and this is really not easy. If I could become as independent as I was before then maybe I would start to feel a lot better about myself and not feel so low all the time and would also be able to rest when needed, I really long for an 8 hr sleep. Two hrs is just not enough :nono:
FibroSherry247
UKFM Member

Re: How Long do I have to live with this

Postby diane1 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi
I like you have had fibro for 7 years and over that time have got worse slowly. I started by continuing to work full time then part time which reduced steadily until I hardly worked any hours. I now dont work and rely heavily on my hubby who has had to go part time to look after me. I found it hard at first not being able to work as I'd worked from being 16 so at 46 looking at retirement I found it hard to accept.

I have now got into a routine that suits me and my fibro and have finally accepted my future without work. I dont get out much but meet up with my old work mates for lunch once a month and if im to bad to go out they come to me. When I imagine how difficult it was working with the fibro I am grateful I no longer have to put myself through it.

I had a very close friend who died of cancer a few :goodluck2: :fingerscrossed: :wine: :wine: :grouphug: :hugs: years ago and I know that if she had the chance to swap places with me she'd have done it in an instant. She died and couldnt watch her children grow up but I on the other hand get to do this although in pain, and who knows what might happen they may find a miracle cure ! What would your choice be ????

I know it doesnt stop our pain etc but it helps me put it into prospectice when i'm feeling sorry for myself. At least We have this site and each other to help us through /

Good Luck everyone
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:44 pm

:welcome: to the forum FibroSherry :wave: :wave:

I'm sorry to hear how you're being affected and pulled down by FM and its unthinkable accompaniments. I've been living with it for about 12 and a half years and have been in a similar position to where you're finding yourself more times than I care to remember :( :( The things that you would love to do are shared by most of us................to be "normal" again and able to do the things that we miss and enjoyed.

Like Diane has, I've developed my own ways of doing things to get thru a day, and have had to accept that things like working are a complete :nono: :nono: for me, esp as I have been retired on medical grounds from my previous job.

As to how long you might have to live with FM, that's not an easy question to answer. With how things are for me, I've had to begrudgingly accept that FM has decided to make me a very long term, quite possibly lifelong, member of the club. That doesn't mean that it will be the same for you tho. Things may settle down and you find a job that fits in and around how you are FMwise. Or there could be something waiting to be discovered around the corner that makes things so much better for us.

There is a lot of info and advice on here, so have a look and a read around, you may come across something that helps make thing a little more comfortable for you :wave: :easter1: :easter1: :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:54 pm

Hi and :welcome: to the forum Diane has offered you some good advice and I cant think of anything to add to it so :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FibroSherry247 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:42 pm

Hello guys,

Thank you so much for your replys and sound advice. The problem I think is that when you have been working since you were 15 and have led a busy life, to then come to a fullstop can be quite hurtful. I am in the process of looking for work from home jobs as I was a medical secretary before I was retired on medical grounds due to fibro and accompanied symptoms.

But I continue to persevere in the hope that when I do find a job I will have the energy to do it to the best of my ability and continue a steady pace to the future.

Wishing you all the best of luck and love :goodluck2: :fingerscrossed:
FibroSherry247
UKFM Member

Postby diane1 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:03 pm

Fibro sherry

Good Luck with your planned work but dont overdo things trying to be "normal". Life for a fibro person has a different pace and becomes normal for us. My life has totally changed and I know I cant work as when I have a bad flare Im not able to move and my fibro fog well thats another story. I did try some voluntary work at my local church but I was constantly letting them down so had to give it up.

I now spend most of my day getting mobile then try not to do something to much each day. Ive kept in touch with work colleagues and have met other fibro friends and do ladys that lunch sometimes out and others at home if one of us is bad. I also try to help people with benefit problems as I was a manager for DWP it can sometimes take me sometime to recall all the information but I get there and it makes me feel useful.

Good Luck with your new venture whatever it might be.
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby FibroSherry247 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:26 pm

Thank you Diane1. Much love and best wishes to you
FibroSherry247
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello