Back pain

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Back pain

Postby sparky1946 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:44 pm

Hi all,
My name is Liz and I have just been diagnosed as suffering from Fibromyalgia. The pain is not new to me it's just nobody until now has put a name to it, but it is getting worse. I went to a private clinic 2 weeks ago and have all the classic symptoms. Sore feet, numb toes and finger tips painful muscles and joints. I have also been complaining for about 9 months now with, what I call, sore lungs, my GP tested my breathing and said he could n't find anything that would suggest I had asthma, but I have now been told it is part of the FM condition. I am so embarrassed when I sit for any time then try to stand as my hips and legs are so painful, and as I sing with a choir this can be a real problem on stage, not to mention getting out of my car !!.

I have Acute Glaucoma & have had a number of procedures/ops in the last year, I have drains in each eye and possibly need to have an implanted shunt as one of my drains is falling over my pupil and is too weak to be cauterised. I mention this because after controlling the eye pressure, my Consultant at the Moorfields Hospital in London couldn't understand why I was still sensitive to daylight/artificial light and continued to wear my dark glasses. I have since found out that Fibromyalgia can cause this.

My new Doctor at the clinic has given me a drug licensed for Heroin Addicts called Naltrexone. Unfortunately it is not available on NHS prescription until you can prove that it is giving pain relief to you (I think I've got right) then the NHS can be asked to prescribe the med to you. It is used for palliative care of MS sufferers, Cancer patients and people with Auto-Immune disorders, with good results. I only started on a very low dose on 1st Oct. and can't tell at this early stage if it will help my pain. If anyone else is on this med please let me know how you are coping and if it's helping the pain. There are no side effects to this med that I know of but I will post my results as I go along. I double the med in 2 weeks time and increase every 3 weeks until I reach a level where my pain is being controlled, that could take 2/3 months

I have suffered back pain for many years so I can't say the condition is to blame, I have had cortisone injections in my spine that gave me about 2 years freedom from pain but it does return from time to time.

The last time I felt just as bad with joint and muscle pains was when I had rheumatic fever that was forty years ago but I was beginning to think I had it again.

I am determined not to let this condition control my life, I am staying positive regarding the treatment and trying to get myself to a good frame of mind. I do believe that trauma and stress over the last 15 years has triggered this but it's my time now to get back to good health.

Liz
sparky1946
UKFM Newbie

Re: Back pain

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:32 pm

:welcome: to our little fibro sanctuary Liz :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

I've split you off from where you originally made your post and moved you into here as it is a more suitable place for you intro :wave: :wave:

There is lots of info and advice across the forum, hopefully you'll find some of it useful. The med that you have started on, naltrexone, has been mentioned on here a number of times. It is said to make a significant difference to some people's symptoms. There are various petitions and campaigns (or there were) for it to be licensed for FM use.

It would be interesting to hear how you get on with it, and just how much of a difference it makes for you :wave: :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby TATT » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:22 pm

Hi Sparky,

Welcome to the forum, it's good that your trying to stay positive as it really does help, there are times when it's hard but there is always someone on here to talk with.

Be interesting to see how you go on the low dose Naltroxone as there are a couple of us fighting to get it put on the NHS. Maybe when they hear more people with FM are getting pain relief from it they will listen and prescribe it for free.

Please keep us posted. Meanwhile take care.

Tatt x
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:42 pm

:welcome: to the forum sparky :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello