Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby Rebecca1983 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:45 pm

Hello all. :wave:

I'm new to this site. I've been suffering with Fibro for 4 years now, although only got diagnosed 2 year ago. I still get overwhelmed with this, there are times when the massive fallout of this condition hits me like a ton of bricks. Is that normal???????? I've been out of work for 3 years whilst getting this under some degree of control. Now I'm having to find a job and in complete honesty I'm TERRIFIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thankfully the job centre in its infinite wisdom have put limits on what type of work i can look for.
I would like to ask should i and if so how can i broach the subject with prospective employers. I know that lack of understanding within society of Fibromyalgia (I'm sure we've all had the confused look when people ask whats wrong with sufferers of this.). I do keep a hard copy of the spoon theory to hand and take it on the rare occasion of the phenomenon known as job interview.

Please forgive my despondency, disillusion as a result of fibro it has caused an onset of depression. Is there a point when I will fully accept it. I've learnt to live with it but it still really hurts that i'm never not in pain. I don't want to come across as negative but my depression has been particularly bad at the moment which my be due to my mood.

I apologise for being so moany
Thank you
Rebecca1983
Rebecca1983
UKFM Newbie

Re: Newbie

Postby shazq » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:10 pm

:welcome: to the forum Rebecca :wave:

There are different levels of fibro, some people do have it mild and manage their pain with painkillers and manage to work and live a fairly normal life, where as others have server pain where the meds only take the edge of the pain away and have had to pack up working.

Alot of us also take antidepressants as being in pain 24/7 is enough to get anyone down.
Have you spoken to your gp about feeling down, if not you should because the do help, i take 2 types.

Alot of fibros also have to have a combo of meds to control their pain, its just a matter of trail and error with them as there are lots you can try.

Have a look around the forum and any questions you have just ask.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:00 pm

:welcome: to the forum Rebecca :wave: :wave:

There is a lot of info across the boards on here, hopefully you'll find some of it helpful :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

The matter of telling a prospective employer about FM isn't straight forward, just like all things FM related :facepalm: :facepalm: For you to be covered under the Equalities Act (which replaced the Disability Discrimination Act) you do need to tell them about it, but then there is the possibility that the lack of understanding that you mentioned could pop up. If you decided not to tell them, that could have repercussions if things were to flare up and you needed time off as they'd need to know what the problem was.

Explaining what FM is and how it affects you is always a difficult thing to do as there isn't anything that most people have experienced that can be used to compare what we experience. You could include info from reputable sites such as NHS Choices, as well as something from you about how your FM affects you. Thru your JobCentre you should also have access to a Disability Employment Advisor who should be able to advise you regarding returning to work, as well as working with the lucky employer who deserves you on their staff to make your working environment as suitable for you as possible.

You will eventually reach a point where you are much more accepting of your condition and find the right way for you to live with it. It takes time to find your way thru it all and get there, but things do get brighter the closer you get to it 8-) 8-) 8-)

If you feel that your depression is deepening, then seeing someone about it might be something to consider. With meds and/or talking therapies it is possible to wrestle control back from it and find things a little lighter and brighter again.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rebecca1983 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:49 pm

Thank you so much.

I have recently spoken to my dr and am trying a different dosage of the tablets ive been on for a while. Im lucky that my GP is very understanding to my conditions and always willing to help me. Since become ill with this ive started keeping a diary. I have a great support network but im aware of what i tell them as i try to find the positive in things. With the diary i find i can vent and not worry about being too much of a 'moaner'. Also with the best will in the world they can't fully grasps what im dealing with. I take 16 tablets a day and have a pain patch that needs changing every 3 days.

Thank you so much for all the advice and kind words. I do have disability employment adviser and she is very supportive and has helped. I have restrictions on what i can do.
Rebecca1983
Fibromyalgia, Depression
Rebecca1983
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:54 pm

A lot of us are on numerous different tablets each day. I keep hoping for some different coloured ones when I have anything changed or new, ideally colour co~ordinated ones to match my meds box :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

Like you, I also try to look for the positive side of things, altho at times it does seem a bit dark. I also look for the silliness in things as well. Seeing the look on someone's face when we're talking about FM and I slip something unexpectedly silly in about it always raises a :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Where to Say Hello