Smells & noise

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Smells & noise

Postby katz65 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:25 pm

Hi :nono:
I have suffered with pains for many years but went to see the doctor earlier this year as they had become constant. My doc told me that he thought it was fibro so refered me & so I got it confirmed.
Just lately though I have found that certain foods when cooking are making me feel sick & irritating my nose, also some sprays i.e. air freshners my sons & partners body sprays. So I wandered if anyone else has this :?:
Then there is noise or loud chat, when there is more than one person talking :!: :!:
I also wandered if anyone else was finding it harder to cope now the colder & darker days are here :?: I feel Ijust don't want to get up & when I do I just don't want to be bothered with anything :!: :!:

SO Fed Up At The Moment :pull-hair:
katz65
UKFM Member

Re: Smells & noise

Postby shazq » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:39 pm

:welcome: Katz :wave:

Yep there are many of us that are sensitive to light/sounds/smell

I can stand bright light, i have to wear my sunglasses. If i am in the car of a night i still have to wear sunglasses because the on coming head lights get my eyes.

I cant cope with loud noises any more, i have to turn the TV down when the ads come on as they get louder :evil: i cant stand kids screaming in the shops where as it has never bothered me before :yikes:
I cope with to many people all talking together at once.

I have never liked the smell of coffee but it can make me heave at times, my kids will say i can smell a fart a mile away :lol: :lol: :lol: :nono: if they think anything has gone off in the fridge they will always say call mum she will know. :lol: :lol:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:15 pm

I'm another with sensitivities when it comes to noise and smells katz :wave: :wave: It's not unusual for us FMers to be sensitive to various things unfortuntalely :( :(

There are certain smells that aggravate me, coffee is the worst :puke: :puke: I've never liked the stuff and these days I'm even worse with it :puke: :puke: :puke: Certain noises really hurt my ears, esp the squawking of one of our :chicken: :chicken: She sounds like a seagull which is even worse than someone running their fingers down a blackboard :yikes: :yikes: It cuts right thru me :shock: :shock: :shock: And it's a good job I don't drive any more as the headlights from other vehicles on the road often set off a migraine :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

And like Shaz, if there's a strange smell anywhere, esp in the fridge, I'm the one who has to "sniff it out" :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Life sure is grand with FM :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby katz65 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:34 pm

Thank you Shaz & Fluppy for responding to me. :-D

I have found that having found this site has been great, to find others who understand makes a huge difference in the life with fibro, so from now on I will tune in everyday. :wave:
katz65
UKFM Member

Postby moonhare » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:49 pm

Hiya Katz65,

It's such a weird, random and downright awful condition is this isn't it.....seems that there's no reason or rhyme to it. You were right to ask if any one else reacts to these things, as yes we do...though maybe not all of us, and probably not all at the same time!

I've become so sensitive to anything chemical based I feel almost terrified when i go out into a public space. Air fresheners (sprays or plug ins) any kind of aerosol, ciggy smoke, perfume....in fact you name it and i'll run a mile from it!!!
All these things are banned totally from my house, but as I live alone that's easy to do. If friends/relatives call round they know to leave these things at home, and if I visit them, they know in advance to remove all trace of them. Thankfully they are good people and I appreciate their thoughtfulness.

One thing I'm trying to do though is avoid prescription meds (apart from my amytryptaline which is a life saver), so I've started using essential oils (Eucalyptus, Rosemary, Tea tree)....just a few drops in a bowl of boiling water. I lean over it with a towel over my head and inhale the vapours, and for me this really helps.

Again, with the loud noise from talking, the TV, radio etc, I go really dizzy with it, but again I've developed coping mechanisms that help me........ I hope you find a way to deal with these things too.
Good luck
Hugs and warm wishes for youHug
moonhare
UKFM Member

Postby monica » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:35 pm

Hi I'm new here too and yes I'm a fellow noise and smells sufferer. I'm always askng the OH to turn down the TV, I can't stand going to the cinema anymore far too loud! And as for smells there are many that make me heave. Like others here have said I can smell things that others don't!

Unatural chemically smells are the worst, I can't be in the same room as those awful airfreshener squirty things or around heavily perfumed people.
monica
UKFM Member

Postby katz65 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:37 pm

Hi :-)
Moonhare & Monica, thank you for your comments, it is so good to hear from others like me...
Hugs to you both xx
katz65
UKFM Member

Postby Aliscat64 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:18 am

So glad to find that Im not alone :-)

...hated bright light for years, struggle with winter and summer temps. I worked in a big hospital for a long time and the striplighting was awful sometimes I can always smell things that other people cant!! :-?
We have 5 cats and they have 2 litter trays one up and one downstairs............ I always know when the upstairs one has been used even when no one else can smell it! AND Im always right!

Also struggle with false smells like air fresheners.

Does anyone have problems with dry ice at the theatre? I went to the ballet and sat in the stalls, they had dry ice near the end and my throat felt so bizarre like an allerg :( y. It was really scary. I love the theatre but now find myself looking for seats as far as way as poss from the stage, never know when there is going to be dry ice or smoke. And thats difficult because I feel giddy if too high up!! :(

Interesting about the coffee, I have one mug a day which I relish but that too irritates the throat a little........had bad food poisoning in september [ dripped in hospital for 4 days!] and found that because I ate and drank so little for2 weeks, definately no coffee/tea things were better! should have set me and example but so many things I enjoy seem to aggrivate FM so much Im not going to stop them all! :-)
Aliscat64
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello