Hello all, I'm new and in need of advice please

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello all, I'm new and in need of advice please

Postby autumnellis » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:33 pm

Hi all, I'm Siobhan from Liverpool aged 30 and just been told I may have Fibromyalgia. Basically I've suffered with tenosynovitis for 10 yrs in my wrists since it developed during my first pregnancy, I have a history of severe migraines and in 2009 I started having "bad" knees. I have been through blood tests xrays and MRIs and nothing has shown up. I saw my Rheumotologist yesterday and he said he thinks I have fibromyalgia, I will be having a thorough assessment in the next few weeks. I have a 9 month old son and when I was 12 weeks pregnant I was told I had SPD. Since then it got much worse and I was in a wheel chair from 26 weeks, had to be induced early and remained in the wheelchair until he was 3 months. My pain is still severe and I walk with a stick, I am in agony in the mornings and by bedtime am wiped out, I am studying at uni, volunterring one day a week and feeling completely swamped by pain. I had never been given FM as an option until yesterday. I just wondered whether you all think it sounds like I will be diagnosed and also if you think it's common for women with SPD to develop FM, are they connected? I did lots of research on SPD and FM never came up.

Thanks in advance

Sxxx
autumnellis
UKFM Member

Re: Hello all, I'm new and in need of advice please

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:45 pm

:welcome: to the forum Siobhan :wave: :wave:

Sorry to hear how things have been for you, esp during your pregnancy, an early birth is traumatic enough, my son was a month early and a bit on the small side, but having to have your ickle boy early due to health reasons must take it up to another level :grouphug: :grouphug:

It sounds like your rheumy is being very thorough in checking things out fully before giving you a dx, which is what you want. Being a :teddy-bear: with a very foggy head, I asked Dr Googly what SPD was :facepalm: :facepalm: http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/a ... elvicpain/ I can't say that I have heard of a link between the 2 conditions, but of course, that doesn't mean there isn't one, it might need a bit more digging thru Dr Googly again to see what he has to say :-? :-? :-?

We can't say if you will be dx'd with FM I'm afraid :facepalm: :facepalm: What I would say is that whatever dx you are given, it will probably only come after you've had your thorough assessment in the next few weeks.

Sorry it's not a nice and straightforward answer for you :( :( Where something like FM is potentially concerned, it's never straightforward, instead everything is turned outside in and downside up :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby autumnellis » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:07 pm

Thanks Fluppy Puffy.

Yes the birth was very difficult and so much more painful than the first time, I've been wondering whether that may be the "traumatic trigger" for FM I've read about. A month early must have been a great worry for you too though! I am doing research myself but had just hoped I might find someone on here who had had a similar experience. I have brain fog too although I've been putting it down to "baby-brain" and the meds, I'm on amitryptilinr and Dihydrocodeine so rther dozy anyway). Thanks a lot though.

Take care. xx
autumnellis
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:44 pm

The difficult birth you had could well have been a contributing factor to your "traumatic trigger". Its thought by the various medical bods have seen, that a car accident that left me with a broken neck may have been the onset of problems for me. And DS arriving early could have also have had an effect of things, as well as other happenings and things :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Altho DS was early, he's more than made up for it since :shock: :shock: He's 16 now and studying A Levels :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Hopefully as your ickle man grows, he'll go on to great things and make you a happy and proud mummy :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby autumnellis » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:54 pm

God, that does sound traumatic! Sorry! Aw your son sounds great and yes at 9 months mine already makes me proud every day, at least all the pain and difficulty had a lovely result! Take care xx
autumnellis
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:16 pm

Siobhan , not sure about a link with PDS but given FM can have many factors as a trigger including stress it must be seen as a possibility. So glad your Rheumy is being so good and giving your problems a good review , that way when he does come back with a dx you will at least know that he has covered all bases. Given he has voiced his thoughts about FM it must be a serious contender , they don't usually say anything until they are quite sure.

For up to date research on FM try some of the links on the American FM sites , they seem to be more proactive than here.

Glad your little boy is doing so well . Just so you don't worry too much, us preemies do come out the other side ok :lol: I was 10 weeks early nearly 50 yrs ago and have led a very full and interesting life to date and intend to keep doing so, as long as I can ...its just taken a temporary down time at the moment due to the FM!
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby autumnellis » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:35 pm

Thank you Ice Skate mum! That was a really helpful and positive post, made me smile. Glad to hear you're enjoying life and hope the down time doesn't last too long. xx
autumnellis
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:45 pm

Hi Siobhan and :welcome: to the forum :wave:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby autumnellis » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:39 pm

Hi Denys and Thank you!! x
autumnellis
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:24 pm

Hello Siobhan :welcome: To the forum

Hope you get some answers soon. :wave:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby autumnellis » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:31 am

Thank you to everyone! xx
autumnellis
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello