Diagnosis

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Diagnosis

Postby pinkladyc » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:24 pm

HI all

I would like to ask advice on getting a diagnosis, I have recently been to see a rheumy who suggested that I do not have arthritis which is good news however he never asked me any other questions and only examined my hands and knees and said i was to have a blood test and ultrasound on my hands then would be referred back to my GP.

I followed up with an appointment with the GP as my symptoms are the same as FMS suffers and do not believe there is nothing wrong. I asked her if it was possible that I could have FMS, she replied with that it is possible however in her experience diagnosing patients with this condition has made their symptoms worse and has prescribed me with Amitriptyline and an exercise class. Which is great and i appreciate anything to help me through the day but it doesn't give me support that i need.

The issue I have is that i am a mature student at University and they have provided me with a note taker and provision to type exams with extra time because of my symptoms, but without a diagnosis this will be taken away from me. I like many other sufferers do not wish to be diagnosed with anything however I am worried about completing my degree with my pains and problems.

Any advice please?

Thanks
pinkladyc
UKFM Newbie

Re: Diagnosis

Postby Iceskatemum » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:58 am

I would explain the situation again to your GP and also to the uni disability officer. There must be some way that you can get this resolved.

Good luck
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby pinkladyc » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:29 am

Thanks

Yes there must be a way and i think its a case of finding the right GP, wish i knew which one that would be in our practice, with at least 7 GP's its a case of visiting them all i think.

I haven't rung Uni yet in case they withdraw my support and being on my final year thats a worry x
pinkladyc
UKFM Newbie

Postby Iceskatemum » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:42 pm

Not sure if uni can withdraw your support as it would appear that you fit the term for disabled. ie have had a condition (it doesn't need to have a dx ) for x months that affects you in various wayas. can't remember the exact words but you hopefully get my drift. Would check up on Mr Google exact legal wording for disabled if it helps before you talk to the disability officer/welfare officer.

Good lucK appreciate you must be in a very difficult place right now.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:29 pm

:welcome: to the forum pinklady

You could ask your gp to refer you back to see the Rheumy again to see if they will give you the dx of fibro as they are the ones that do normally dx you then discharge you back into the care of your gp.

When my gp first sent me to the Rheumy he checked me over for arthritis but said no i did not have it but agreed to always see me again in the future. 6 months later i was still in pain so my gp sent me back to him again, this is when he dx fibro.

Hope you get some answers soon. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Aliscat64 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:28 pm

Yes I too saw a rheumatologist twice.

Four years ago my hands were swelling and had a lot of back problems but since I used to be a nurse and now a childminder [ heavy jobs] the gp sent me to them just to check me out. All bloods normal and xrays.

Since then other things developed and an astute young physio got the gp to send me back as I have jaw, neck, knee probs now too.

xrays now show basic osteoarthritis but also I gather i have very classic FM too!...now on amytriptilline and painkillers as and when needed. probably going to attend a fm course next year.....hard to fit round work.

Im sure you can get help whether its gp support or other with letters to back up why ........sorry if this sounds daft serious fibro fog today.

huge problems with concentration sometimes so glad you can manage to study.

So perservere :-D
Aliscat64
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello