[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Hi and can you offer help and advice

Hi and can you offer help and advice

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hi and can you offer help and advice

Postby jess0465093 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:50 am

Hi, I'm a 26 (nearly 27) year old who has just about had it really. I stumbled over this site after someone I knew who has a medical background said that my symptoms sound like fibromyalgia.

Basically I had an accident 3 years ago and I have never been the same since. I also have osteo arthritis in both my knees but on top of that I have pain all over my body, I'm always so exhausted and I am currently signed off work as I am depressed. I also have IBS which is horrid, I get up a size 10 and feel like a size 14 by the end of the day my stomach swells so much.

I have pain all over and have had this for nearly 3 years. I have had MRIs etc and it does show some osteophytes on C3, C4, C5, C6 and C7 and I have almost full cartilage loss in my right knee and my left knee is similar but not quite as bad.

However these issues do not explain why I have pain in my toes and the ends of my fingers and all over really. I am so tired all the time and I am tired of the NHS that just sign you off work and think thats going to be the magic cure. They really frustrate me because as soon as they have ruled out some conditions its almost like they wash their hands of you and are not willing to help or listen. I have had so much time off and each time I go back to work I honestly feel no better than when I was signed off. Time off is not working, I need some treatment. Im worried as I am so scared people think Im lazy, but I am not - I have worked very hard and have a good job but I am destroying career prospects because of my illnesses. I have a wonderful supportive husband so I am very lucky there, but its making him so sad and I want to get better for him aswel - not just me.

I get so tired as I dont sleep, I wake up at about 3am and then I just cant get back to sleep. Its so frustrating going to bed tired and waking up feeling just as tired.

Im sorry Im having a rant, I just dont know what else to do.
Can anyone offer me any advice about how they were diagnosed etc? I dont definitely know that I have fibromyalgia but I have read so many posts and it is like I have written them myself they describe me so perfectly.

Please help ... thanks!
jess0465093
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hi and can you offer help and advice

Postby shazq » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:56 pm

:welcome: to the forum Jess :wave:

The best advice i can give you is to write all your symptoms down & show them to your gp.

Fibro does not show up on any tests so it can take some time to get a dx as other things have to be ruled out first.

Some gp`s will dx fibro themselves but most will send you to a Rheumy who will dx it.

Just keep going back to see your gp until you get some answers, you could mention to your gp that someone you know mentioned they thought you were showing signs of fibro and what do you think? Then say you looked up the symptoms and you did have a lot of them?

Here is a link on some symptoms, you could print it out and take it to your docs with you.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalg ... ptoms.aspx

Here are some meds used to treat fibro

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalg ... tment.aspx

:goodluck1: hope you get some answers soon. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Re: Hi and can you offer help and advice

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:58 pm

:welcome: to the forum Jess :wave: :wave: Sorry to hear what you're going thru with trying to find the reason for your varius symptoms and problems :( :( Altho things are slowly improving, there are still far too many people with a story similar to yours because they have a dinosaur for a GP :facepalm: :facepalm:

The linkys Shaz has posted have some really helpful info on them and their source cannot be disputed by a GP with it being the NHS site. As well as taking some info about your symptoms with you, you could also try taking some info printed up from the site with you to help show why you think FM could be the reason for your various problems. If you're still met with the same response, then maybe you need to consider seeing a different GP, and keep trying until you find one that will listen to what you're saying and is prepared to start looking into possibilities and options for you.

It could be quite a long process in trying to find the name for your problems as the symptoms you've mentioned overlap with several other conditions, all of which need to be investigated and ruled out. It's only when everything else has been ruled out that an FM dx tends to be arrived at.

While you're trying to get an answer, stick with us, there is lots and lots of info and advice on here that you may find helpful. And anything that you're worried about or wanting to know about, we'll try to help you with it :wave: :wave: :wave:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Where to Say Hello