Hello!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello!

Postby penandpaper » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:00 pm

Hello I have just joined this great looking forum! I was diagnosed earlier this year after a long what feels like a battle with the doctors. I finally saw a great doctor at the hospital who gave me the official diagnosis which in a way felt a big relief. So far I have been referred to physio which was a couple of sessions of her giving me some exercises to do at home which haven't really helped. I was also given amitriptyline to help my sleeping and tramadol for the pain. The tramadol I can't take because I am a teacher and it renders me useless so not a good mix and the amitriptyline is difficult because it doesn't help my 7am starts! I am finding it hard at the moment, work is overwhelming and my symptoms just make it even harder. I have lost confidence in my abilities and I guess I have joined here to try and get more control if that makes sense?

Anyway nice to 'meet' you all
x
penandpaper
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hello!

Postby shazq » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:44 pm

:welcome: to the forum :xmaswave1:

You could try cutting down the Ami`s and take them earlier to see if that helps? Is the Tramadol making you feel sleepy as well? If you are taking 2 you could try taking 1? (you can cut the tablet in half)

If you still dont get on with that you should go back to see your gp to try something else.
Here is a link of some meds used to treat fibro-

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalg ... tment.aspx

We have lots of info and support on here so have a read around and any questions you have just ask :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby maxtomads » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:44 pm

Welcome to our cyber family

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
maxtomads
UKFM Member

Postby penandpaper » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:51 pm

Thanks both.

shazq I was going to make an appt this week to see my Dr about the Tramadol. It's not so much that it makes me sleepy I just can't function, I slur and the room spins but I doubt I am on that high a dosage compared to many people.
penandpaper
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:00 pm

:wave: :wave: and :welcome: to our fibro sanctuary. You'll find there lots of info and advice on here covering all sorts of things so have a bit of a read as you find your way around, you may come across something helpful to you.

WRT the tramadol, what dosage did you start off with?? Just wondering if it was a bit too high and taking a lower dosage might help with the pain without rendering you useless for work. With the amitriptyline, morning~after zombification is quite common unfortunately :-? :-? There may be ways to help reduce it tho so you could use it on a nightly basis. Some peeps have found that taking it a couple of hour before they go to bed can help, whilst others have found that taking it 12 hours before they will be getting up helps them. Might be something to consider, as might asking for an alternative med. Nortriptyline is the same kind of med as amis, but is said to have fewer side effects and be better tolerated.

Sorry the physio didn't help you, for some it can make a difference, for others tho it doesn't :-? :-? Unfortunately that's typical of FM, what may help one may not do so for another. Same applies to meds as well, which can mean it takes a while to find the right mix of things that help you.

It's understandable that you're doubting your abilities at the moment, there is a lot to take in and get used to when you're told you have FM. Life as you knew it is turned on its head and can leave you wondering if things will change at times. As you start to find the right mix of things for you to live with FM, things will start to straighten out and make more sense again. It might be a bit of a bumpy ride along the way, but it is possible to get back some of what you seem to have lost.

We'll try to offer as much help and support as we can as you find your way thru things, and if that doesn't work you can join the rest of us in our various states of :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby penandpaper » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:05 pm

FluppyPuffy wrote::wave: :wave: and :welcome: to our fibro sanctuary. You'll find there lots of info and advice on here covering all sorts of things so have a bit of a read as you find your way around, you may come across something helpful to you.

WRT the tramadol, what dosage did you start off with??

Thanks for the lovely message FluffyPuffy I have already found some wonderful info and lots of 'oh it's not just me' moments.

As for the tramadol I just checked and it is 50g recommended 4 times a day. I am not sure how that compares at all, all I know is even taking 1 doesn't suit me!

penandpaper
x
penandpaper
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:45 pm

Each Tramadol capsule is 50mg and the recommended dosage tends to be 1~2 capsules up to 4x daily. I'm maxed out on them each day, plus other ones to keep me going. We can all react very differently to a med, which is part of why it can take a while to find what's right for each of us. If you haven't already tried it , you could ask your GP about co~codamol, it's a mix of paracetamol and codeine that doesn't seem to affect people as much as Tramadol can. It's a step or 2 back down the strength ladder from Tramadol, but might be of some help on the pain front without making you feel all drunk and trippy. It tends to come in 3 strengths so depending on how much codeine is in it.

If all else fails, resort to [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] and :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: Won't really help with the FM but it tastes far better than pills :twodrinking2: :twodrinking2: :twodrinking2:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby penandpaper » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:47 pm

lol love the advice! Thanks for taking the time to reply, I will see what the doctor says.

:-D

penandpaper
penandpaper
UKFM Newbie

Postby isitme » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:30 am

hi, hoep you are well.
isitme
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:04 pm

:goodluck1: at the docs :-D
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby monica » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:23 pm

Hi welcome to the forum, it's great here :mrgreen:

I've had lots of 'oh it's not just me' moments as well and I've only just joined!
monica
UKFM Member

Postby penandpaper » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi guys and thank you!
penandpaper
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello