[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Hi ~ I am a Newbie

Hi ~ I am a Newbie

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hi ~ I am a Newbie

Postby SylvieS » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:16 pm

My name is Sylvie and it was confirm I have FM about 10 days ago now.
I also have Osteo-Arithritis in one knee and ankle and a total surgical fushion of the same ankle with a heel nail ( due to an accident)
I have to use crutches to get around along with a wheel chair for longer outings ( very few lately)

I had been feeling unwell for about 6 months but could not put my finger on it , I felt extremely tired, almost as if I had flu but without the running nose etc.... my muscles ache ( boy do they ache) my fingers were extremely stiff and I developed problems writing as I could not put enough pressure to write any thing ( readable) I also felt dizzy and could not say exactly what a wanted to say without it comming out wrong
Then overnight the pains went into overload, literally everywhere ached , I had a like a burning sensation going through my body, and a headache to beat all headaches. I tried not to say anything as I did not want to complain to my family etc... but my hubby ( who is a marvel and so supportive) knew I was not right so encouraged me to go to out GP

To cut along story short my GP was brilliant and over the next few weeks arranged blood tests after blood test to get the the route ot the problem ( as he called it)
These all came back clear ~ which was good in a away but made me anxious as to what it was..
My GP then confirmed it was Fibromyalgia ( I knew nothing of the condition )
He explained a bit about FM and has prescibed me Amitriptyline 10mg initially one each night which I can increase to 2 if one has little effect ~which I have just done ~ they do help me sleep a bit better ( about 5 hours) but the aches are still going strong.
I have to go back to my GP in three weeks to see how the tablets are helping

I know alittle more about FM now but I am finding it very scary and dislike the way it is affecting my body...

Sylvie
SylvieS
UKFM Member

Re: Hi ~ I am a Newbie

Postby denys » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:31 pm

Hi Sylvie and :welcome: to the forum :wave: there is a lot of information on the site and if you have any questions then please ask :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:49 pm

:welcome: to the forum Sylvie :wave: :wave:

Sorry to hear you've been told you have FM :( :( You're not alone in finding it scary and disliking what it is doing to you, everything that you knew as your life is being turned on it's head at the moment, which can seem overwhelming at first :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: Hopefully tho, as you find out ore about FM, how yours affects you and the things needed for you to live with it, things will start to look a little brighter and less scary for you. It will take a bit of time and involve some trial and error with things, but you will start find things become more aceepted and manageable.

Sounds like you've got an amazing GP looking after you, which can make such a difference with something like FM. Having a supportive hubby helps as well, both physically and emotionally.

There is lots of info and advice on here, hopefully some of it will help you learn a little more about FM. The Amitriptyline you've been prescribed is one of the first meds that is usually tried to manage FM. Altho originally an anti~depressant, it has also been found to help with pain and sleep problems. It can take up to a month to fully get into your system, so what you have experienced so far with sleeping a bit better could possibly improve a bit more. You could also find that it helps with the aches and pains as it starts really getting into your system.

Hopefully having a bit of a read around the things on here will help you feel a little less scared about things. There isn't anything that we've come across so far that helps with the disliking what it does to us , altho having a bit of [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] usually helps make things seem a bit better, along with a daily dose of :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Just ask about anything that you're wondering about, with what there is on here, there's a good chance someone will have had a similar experience and may have some helpful advice for you :xmaswave1: :xmaswave1: :elfsnaowball: :elfsnaowball: :xmasdance1: :xmasdance1:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:38 pm

:welcome: to the forum Sylvie :santchimney1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby SylvieS » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:00 am

Many thanks for the welcome and kind words..
It was very kind of you all.

Sylvie
SylvieS
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello