Hello - new - excuse my pounding head!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello - new - excuse my pounding head!

Postby serendipity7000 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:38 am

Hello. I joined to see if I could find out more info from the site or from others, about some of the knock-on effects of Fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed with Repetitive Strain Injury in approx 1991, which pretty much crippled me for a few years. Seeking treatment I had a second opinion with a Consultant who also diagnosed Fibromyalgia, saying I had 'gone on' to develop it. At the time I didn't take much notice of this secondary diagnosis, and had never heard of Fibromyalgia, but being a former nurse, thought the name was as it sounded literally - muscle pain type thing. It is only in recent years I have learned how much of my restrictions have been due to the Fibromyalgia (I am disabled but have 'adapted' my lifestyle considerably so am mostly pain free but don't work or do very much at all really apart from keep as active and occupied as possible). I am also asthmatic (have been since childhood) but this is well-managed with steroid inhaler and salbutamol.

I am now wondering if the Fibromyalgia is the reason for my seeming inability to detoxify drugs - in particular local anaesthetics. And I wondered if anyone else has had problems with local anaesthetics for dentistry? I have been really quite ill in the past after having one, and after about six years of going round the houses with no dental treatment and abscesses flaring up, I recently had allergy testing done at Guys Hospital allergy clinic in London, complete with challenge tests for two local anaesthetics, and am definitely not allergic. However, became seriously ill after having local anaesthetic for tooth extraction last week and ended up being admitted to hospital. Am just recovering but feel like my brain and chest have had a real knocking. Not impressed with Hospital Consultant who said I just had a headache!

I had not seen a Consultant for many years (my lovely Consultant died) but this year I tried to find another Consultant for an updated 'assessment' due to this horrible new ESA thing. He was rather dismissive of both terms (RSI and Fibromyalgia) and said they were both 'labels'. (Well you have to call it something don't you!) He wrote in his report that it was some kind of problem with neuro-transmitters in the central nervous system, and that I was chronically disabled and it was permanent. (Despite this I have still been found fit for work and have appealed and heard nothing whatsoever in relation to my appeal for the last 6 months).

Anyway - being a reasonably intelligent person, a former nurse (although many years ago) and with Masters level research experience in English Literature, plus just normal common sense, it occurred to me that 'problems with neuro-transmitters in the central nervous system' seems to bear some relation to the idea of being able to 'detoxify' local anaesthetic drugs via the central nervous system. No idea what to do about it though! Can't face going through that again - thought I was dying! Hospital was too busy to follow it up and are asking GP to refer me back to an Immunologist, which is where I started! They don't seem to have an answers for 'adverse reactions' only for allergic reactions.

Casualty doctor said 'maybe you're just sensitive'. Well maybe - but what do I do about it and isn't there some kind of antidote they can give me if I react so badly.

Best wishes to everyone out there and if I can help in any way with sharing my coping strategies, will do so - although from what I've read it seems most advice is out there already. I seem quite lucky compared to some of you, in that it is really only my upper body affected.
serendipity7000
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hello - new - excuse my pounding head!

Postby monica » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:26 pm

Hi serendipity7000

I have RSI and I've never been sure whether the fibro started first or the RSI did! But they defiantely go hand in hand now. I try to avoid/cut down repetitive things which does help to keep the pain levels down a bit.

I had to smile at the comment made by your Casualty doctor 'maybe you're just sensitive' Err... yes that's what fibro does to the majority of us! I don't know if fibro is why you have this allergic reaction to anaesthetics but I bet it won't be helping.

Good luck and I hope someone here can help more.
monica
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:28 pm

:welcome: to the forum serendipity :santchimney1: :xmaswave1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:45 pm

:wave: :wave: and :welcome:

With FM, it's not unusual for us to be over sensitive to meds, treatments etc, so it could be that your FM was, at least in part, responsible for your extreme reaction to the anaesthetic. I have an extreme reaction to herbally/supplmenty/complimentary things which is still unexplained after a number of years.

With so much still being unknown about FM, it could well be something related to it, but a lot more research is needed to try and find the definitives answers we all want and need.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 am

Hi and :welcome: to the forum :wave:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby serendipity7000 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:51 am

Thank you for the friendly welcome! Have now just had a reaction to mouthwash! What's going on?!!! And have developed infection. Looks like a sicky Christmas. Best wishes to all for a Happy Christmas.
serendipity7000
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello