newly diagnosed

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

newly diagnosed

Postby pol20 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:15 pm

hi all,

after 2 yrs of fatigue, aches pains, brain fog, cramps, pins and needles etc and basically thinking I was going round the twist, and after various tests and medication, on news years eve I was diagnosed with FM, so still learning about it.

I have spent days sobbing with frustration due to my body not letting me do the simplest of tasks, even brushing my little girls hair left my hands in pain and arms feeling like lead! obviously I was worried as to what was going on with my body as all tests were coming back negative, therefore being diagnosed was a relief in a sense as I thought I was losing my mind!

I would love to hear of other people's experiences and symptoms as no one seems to understand what I have been going through,
'normal' people see me only on the outside and the following seems to occur :

if I'm exhausted ..... reaction is ... don't be lazy u can't be tired as you have done nothing all day!

I can't lift something even the boot of my car .. they think I'm putting it on

headaches ... another tut

I'm allways dropping things ..... laughed at and called clumsy

forgetfulness ..... I'm classed as disorganised and unreliable

the list goes on

I feel that basically people don't believe me and this is upsetting and frustrating in itself so if any of you can relate to this then that would be a great help to my worrying mind!!

thank you x
pol20
UKFM Member

Re: newly diagnosed

Postby denys » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Hi Pol and :welcome: to the forum :wave: dont worry about the reactions you are getting it is the same for most of us, have a look round the forum and you will start to see just how normal it is and as for your reaction to your diagnosis again its something we can all relate to so :hugs: read the thread 'one for the non believers' and I think you may see how you can tell people and for some gain their understanding :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi there , glad you'e found our little oasis in the Fibro storm. There is loads of info on here both from the forum and other areas of the site. Everyone is very friendly and have to say they have been so supportive since I found this site last year.

Try not to worry about how others view things at the moment. It is a very difficult time for you coming to terms with your symptoms etc although at least you now know you're not going mad and actually have a problem.

Good luck and gentle hugs
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

newly diagnosed

Postby pol20 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:54 pm

thanku for ur replies and yes I already feel a weight has been lifted :-)

I read and copied the 'one for non believers', what a fantastic post and perfectly described. I am going to stick it to my fridge!

again thank you for replying and hugs to you xx
pol20
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:14 pm

:welcome: to the forum pol :wave: :wave:

There is lots of info and advice on here, so hopefully some of it will help you as you learn more about the condition and what you need to do so you can live with it.

How you're thinking and feeling at the moment are fairly typical of what most of us have experienced after being given our dx, so you're in good company. As for how others think and say about the condition, if they aren't prepared to try and understand even a little about the condition, well it says far more about then than it does about you. After having it happen to me far too many times, I now don't bother. If someone can't be bothered to take my illness seriously then they aren't worthy of my time and limited energy and they're not the sort of people I want to have around me.

Shaz's "One For The Non Believers" does an amazing job of explaining to non~FMers of what it can be like living with this condition, so it is often used to help those around us get an idea of what makes us as we are these days.

Just ask about anything you want to know, with what there is on here, there's a good chance someone will have had a similar experience and may have some useful advice for you :clap: :clap: :clap:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

newly diagnosed

Postby pol20 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:28 pm

aw thanku so much ... u wouldn't believe how much more relieved I am since joining the forum .. u are all so lovely and understanding ... it's actually sent me quite tearful, relief I think

thank you, thank you :-)

I am also a good listener too xx
pol20
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:25 pm

Dont worry Pol you will get loads of opportunities to listen and help others glad you feel the forum is going to help you :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:35 pm

:welcome: to the forum Pol :wave:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Leona » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:03 pm

Nice to meet you :-D
Leona
UKFM Member

newly diagnosed

Postby pol20 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:36 am

hi guys nice to meet u too leona, lay here yet again waiting for sleep, my legs have decided to be 'skittish' to compete with the pain lol .... I am determined to go out somewhere tomoro and if my body won't let me walk comfortably then I shall use my sons skateboard!! :-) x
pol20
UKFM Member

Postby debanbob » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Hi Pol,
Glad you have found this site, I too felt like I was going mad, doc just ket saying I was depressed, well I said maybe I am weary and tearful after not appearing to being believed. (Not seeing the same doc regularly that gets to know you to build up a picture does not help). I asked for a summary of all my medical information from my GP, (got this back to 1967 at no cost). It showed that i had been feeling unwell since 1997 and how many times they put my symptoms down to depression. Showed all tests done (negative). Like you finally being diagnose with FM did finally save my sanity lol I am now on Pregablin, early days yet, will let you know what happens.
I hope things get better for you love Debs xxx
debanbob
UKFM Newbie

newly diagnosed

Postby pol20 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:06 pm

thanku debs for commenting, and nice to meet you, yes I am very relieved that finally I have an answer, but felt it was a fight to get here, and finding this site was the best New Years gift I could have had!! love and gentle hugs to you x
pol20
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello