hello!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

hello!

Postby elfval » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:13 pm

Hi!

I have been reading the forums for a while now but this is my first post :)

I turned 40 in Oct and was diagnosed with FMS in dec. I have had recurrent pain in my shoulders since i was a child and had knee pain also on and off, also suffered with dreadful migraines during my teens and 20's.

I had a difficult childhood and have anxiety and had depression through my teens, 20's and early 30's. In my 30's I developed IBS and now also have irritible bladder as well - yay!

As my depression lifted and I discovered beta blockers to help me cope with the anxiety I began to volunteer at my local citizens advice bureau to see what I was capable of.

I started to notice that I was getting flu like symptoms for months at a time, without ever actually getting the flu, and instead of my usual localized aches I was aching all over. Even though I was no longer depressed I was still tired all the time, something I had thought was a symptom of my depression.

As the doctors told me over and over that I had a viral infection, or pulled muscles I started to ask questions, what kind of viral infection never goes away? How could i be pulling so many muscles without doing strenuous exercise? They started to test me for all sorts of things and as each test came back negative the doctor thought I should be happy as there was 'nothing wrong with me' But of course this didnt stop how awful I was feeling. I started to become embarassed about my pain, and tried to ignore it thinking it must just be me, still being 'mental'.

I have a friend who was diagnosed with FMS and it sounded so much like how I am that I started to research the subject and I ticked ALL the boxes.By this time the pain had spread to my thighs and hips, and also sometimes migrates round my body so fast (like electric shocks) that I cant keep up with it. I took this to my doctor and said 'I think I have FMS' and she said 'oh no you dont want that!' - like I had a choice!
She tentatively diagnosed me with Nerve Hypersensitivity Syndrome, which Is probably true for some part, but does not explain all my symptoms.

I was horrified when she said the treatment for this is anti depressants as I had been on these for years and struggled terribly with the side effects and have been proudly anti depressant free for about 10 years.(although maybe they were why I never had this much pain before?) She wanted to put me on low dose amyltriptyline, which I know is a common treatment and has helped many people. I said I would only consider this if she sent me to a rheumatologist. This is how I got my diagnosis.

He isnt a big advocate of amyltriptyline and I now take tramadol when the pain gets bad. I am waiting for my referral to the pain clinic and have joined a local gym that has a swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna. Heaven! I have also bought a wheat bag - How have I survived so long without one!

I take one day at a time, I am used to pacing myself due to anxiety, and the pain I have been coping with, but there is confusing advice about not doing 'too much' and making sure you get enough exercise. i have read the spoon theory, but I guess no one can tell you how many spoons you have, and we will each be different.

these forums have been a treasure trove of information and inspiration and there are so many things I am going to try.

Elfval x
elfval
UKFM Member

Re: hello!

Postby denys » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:39 am

Hi Elfval and :welcome: to the forum :wave: if you have any questions just ask :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:27 am

Hi Elfval , so glad you have found the forum , its been a lifeline since my Dx last feb. Everyone is really friendly and always there with a virtual hug and friendly advise.

Take care
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:35 pm

:welcome: to our FibroFamily elfval :wave: :wave: Nice to have you with us :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

There's lots of info and advice across the boards, so have a bit of a looky and a read as you find your way around the place :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
elfval wrote:I take one day at a time, I am used to pacing myself due to anxiety, and the pain I have been coping with, but there is confusing advice about not doing 'too much' and making sure you get enough exercise. i have read the spoon theory, but I guess no one can tell you how many spoons you have, and we will each be different.

Taking things day~by~day, or even hour~by~hour, it what most of us do as well, so you're in good company. The advice about not doing too much, but making sure you do enough exercise is confusing, esp as there are no guides to help. On here, the general advice is to listen to your body and work with it. You will know what you can do on a better day, same with a not~so~better day, so doing something for a period of time that falls between those 2 points but without making yourself too uncomfortable tends to be a useful starting point. From there, if you can get things balanced for you, you could then consider looking at increasing things if it felt right to do so.

Anything you're wondering about, just ask away and we'll see what sort of answer we can come up with. With the number of people on here, there's a good chance someone will have had a similar experience and could have some useful suggestions for you :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:55 pm

:welcome: to the forum elfval :wave:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby elfval » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:16 pm

Thank you for a lovely warm welcome :-D x
elfval
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello