[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - TIPS ON INTERNET FRIENDSHIPS ...

TIPS ON INTERNET FRIENDSHIPS ...

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

internet friendship

Postby cat123 » Sun May 25, 2008 9:31 am

Hi sezza,thanks for the tips.Hope you slept better last night? cat
cat123
UKFM Member

safety 1st

Postby MISS BUNNYPENNY » Sun May 25, 2008 10:24 am

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU SEZZA AND WELL PUT THIS NEEDED TO BE SAID TO REMIND US ON ARE VULNERABLE DAYS WE NEED TO BE A BIT MORE CAREFUL
coventry brittle kid
I LIKE WALKING IN THE RAIN -NO 1 SEES YOUR TEARS
LORD=keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth....AMEN
Sarcasm-Its beats killing people/
Just when I was getting used to yesterday,along came today.
MISS BUNNYPENNY
UKFM Regular

Postby rae » Sun May 25, 2008 10:53 am

I think its just a case of using your common sense really.
rae
UKFM Member

COMMON WHAT?

Postby MISS BUNNYPENNY » Sun May 25, 2008 11:04 am

BUT I HAVENT GOT ANY GOT PLENTY OF COMMON NON-SENSE
coventry brittle kid
I LIKE WALKING IN THE RAIN -NO 1 SEES YOUR TEARS
LORD=keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth....AMEN
Sarcasm-Its beats killing people/
Just when I was getting used to yesterday,along came today.
MISS BUNNYPENNY
UKFM Regular

Re: COMMON WHAT?

Postby rae » Sun May 25, 2008 11:08 am

rae
UKFM Member

Postby rae » Sun May 25, 2008 1:35 pm

I do think though that everyone has a certain amount of common sense. After all - we've all lived a good few years in order to get to where we are now.
There are risks in everything, from walking out your front door or even getting in the shower. The important thing is weighing up the risk otherwise we'd never even get out of bed in the morning. The same can be said about internet friendships - if we all mistrusted everyone out there then we wouldnt all be talking on here now would we? After all, I could be a mass murderer on death row for all any of you know?
rae
UKFM Member

Postby rae » Sun May 25, 2008 1:48 pm

Just read that back and it sound slike I'm getting at you Sez. I'm not.
I just know from experience that mistrustung anyone and everyone just in case is a very sad and lonely place to be.
I had to do it on police advice in order to escape from a stalker, and spent years trusting no one - changing our names, moving house evry few months, cutting all ties with friends - just me and my kids. Its a very very hard life to lead. And it actually begins to eat away at you - everyone you meet you question yourself as to whether they are a danger to you. We all have to put a little bit of trust in people from time to time, while doing our best, at the same time, to protect ourselves.
Hope that makes it a bit clearer
rae
UKFM Member

Postby rae » Sun May 25, 2008 1:57 pm

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one Sez - I just think that you can let life pass you by just in case something bad might happen, or you can weigh up the risks and then make an informed decision as to what action to take based on an anlysis of both the risks of a choice and the benefits.
I personally was forced into a situation where I had to let life pass me by for a number of years, and while it was hard, it has made me a lot stronger and more independent. I dont take anyone at face value anymore, but likewise, I have learnt to trust my own choices on things, as for the last few years I have only had myself to rely on.
But I have also learnt that life is way too short to be scared and worried about things. Life is for living, noit for hiding
rae
UKFM Member

Postby rae » Sun May 25, 2008 2:16 pm

rae
UKFM Member

Postby rae » Sun May 25, 2008 2:43 pm

The newspapers are full of horrible stories yes, but thats because that is the nature of newspapers - bad news sells. Think about how many people you know, and how many they know etc etc, then think about how many in that large group of people have made a friend online who was lying to them and was in fact a wierdo? Probably a very small number. I have loads of cyber friends (they are the best kind! :lol: ) - most I havent met, and probably never will, some I have met - but none of them are wierdos or anything, and I dont know one of them who has come across anyone wierd either.
Good advice is good, but I think it all needs putting into context. You are more likely to be attacked by someone you know well or even who you are related to than a stranger - that is a proven fact.
rae
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Where to Say Hello