[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Diagnosis, confusion and desperation!

Diagnosis, confusion and desperation!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Diagnosis, confusion and desperation!

Postby Adam1303 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:07 am

Hello,

I'm not yet diagnosed but I've been told by multiple people that I show signs of, as well as having symptoms of FM; 1 of the people being a family friend who's a GP and a retired nurse. I'm just posting here to see what people think, and to see if I can get any advice as to how to cope and possibly lessen the symptoms I'm experiencing.

Ever since the age of 5 (I'm now 18 so 13 years) I've experienced severe joint and muscular pains, cramps and twitches as well as fatigue, although all of which was brushed off as 'growing pains' and 'laziness'.

As the years passed the joints and muscular pains started worsening and spreading, what was once a tolerable yet irritable pain had turned into an obscuring pain which dominated and restricted my activities. The pains had originally been in my shoulders, knees and thigh areas, although muscle spasms in my stomach weren't uncommon, but around the age of 12-13 the pain had spread to just about any muscle that I was putting strain on, as well as the pain in my shoulders, knees and thighs worsening when stressed.

The pain at its worst time has gone from a throbbing sensation to a burning and tearing sensation, and just general joint stiffness as a whole, which is predominantly in my neck, shoulder blade region and hands. The stated pains and are affected based on stress levels, daily activities and also weather conditions; and due to me being asthmatic it's a chain reaction affect, when the pain flairs up I become stressed which eventually leads to my breathing becoming distorted and in turn, makes sports near impossible for me.

As for restrictions, before I was 12 I used to play sports to the best of my ability (joint pains would restrict me and I'd suffer later on) and I could carry on with my every day life with minimal problems; when the symptoms worsened I became restricted to how far I could walk without discomfort, which affected both my school and college attendance (my attendance in both school and college was and is around 60-70%) due to me having to walk 20 minutes and being both exhausted and in discomfort/pain when I reached there, which eventually lead to me dropping out of college last year.

On top of the stated physical symptoms that I'm experiencing there's also some what I've been told are neurological symptoms, which consists of light and noise sensitivity (which in turn leaves me suffering from headaches constantly) constant itchiness (mainly hands and feet, but arms, stomach, knees and thighs aren't uncommon) dizziness, nausea and fainting, although I don't tend to faint very often.

I've been to my doctor on numerous occasions, as well as having numerous blood tests which all came back normal, or slightly below normal (hormone tests, inflammation tests etc...) all of which eventually lead to my doctor refusing the possibility of there being anything wrong with me and insinuating I was depressed, which then lead to him prescribing me anti-depressants. On top of this, he attempted to argue with me and tell me how I was feeling as well as being abrupt and negligent to the possibility of me having FM. My GP also told me to take cocodamol until I see the rheumatologist, despite it saying I should only be taking cocodamol for 3 days he's insisting that I take it for 13 weeks and not go back until after I've seen the rheumatologist.

I've read many pieces of literature about the symptoms, supposed 'treatments' and apparent 'causes' of FM, and I just so happened to stumble upon the possibility of a 'traumatic event' kicking off FM.. Which coincidentally, in the space of 2 months when I was 12 I was hit by a car, my parents got divorced and there was a big fall out in my family where everyone basically turned on me and my mum, which I personally think could (if I'm diagnosed with FM) have been the trigger for the stated symptoms.

I'm sorry for how long this post is, I'm just seeking guidance as to how to cope with these symptoms and personal opinions as to whether or not you believe I am suffering with FM.

Thank you for reading,

Adam.
Adam1303
UKFM Newbie

Re: Diagnosis, confusion and desperation!

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:46 am

Hi @ :welcome: Adam

Lots of helpful advice/support and information here

I have been a fibro for 13 plus years now and recently my 16yr old daughter has also been diagnosed.

For my daughter if it wasnt for me im sure would also have been fightin doctors and been left for a long time as i had a tough ole time with her GP and if it wasnt for my knowledge and having an answer for everything she came back with (we also had her going down the depressive route) im sure my daughter would be still at a loss.

It is ok to take co-codamal for longer then 3 days by the advice of your GP in fact iv been perscribed them now for many years! :shock: never seem to have had a meds review either :-?

As you are aware we cannot diagnose anyone but with what you say to me in my own opinion does sound very symptomatic of fibro and the GP is waiting on the Rhuemi's out come before he continues any other treatment by sound of it.

The rheumi will go thro your personal history as well as symptoms so your trauma could be a possible trigger.

Then tend to start you on a medication called amitriptyline and refer you to a physio if fibro is diagnosed. the rhuemi will do a tender point test as well as maybe some more bloods.

I hope the appointment goes well for you and :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Adam1303 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:23 am

Hey,

First of all thanks for the reply and the welcome :)

I'm aware that you can take cocodamol for more than 3 days but it's apparently addictive, which is why I'm reluctant to take it now despite me being in severe pain.. Well that and I generally don't do to well with tablets!

In all honesty, I just find it very frustrating that he can insinuate that I'm imagining everything. He even gave me a repeat prescription for my inhalers so I don't have to go back before I see the rheumatologist, which basically gave me the impression that he wants to wash his hands of me. Let alone the fact that I had to argue with him to get the appointment with the rheumatologist because he said I was just depressed.

I'm planning on seeing a private rheumatologist, as working right now is out of the question as is sleeping and concentrating due to me being in so much pain, and lacking in concentration in general.

I was referred to a physio before a rheumatologist was even considered, and she basically just poked me in my back and gave me a load of muscle exercises to do which left me feeling worse than before. Especially when she was poking me in the 'tender points' (she was poking around my neck and shoulder region and to the bottom of my spine) and told me when I experienced pain it was apparently due to traveling pain due to a trapped nerve... But of course, the diagnosis of a trapped nerve only lasted 1 week and it was later changed to weakened muscles..

I don't mean to be so morbid about all of this, it's just 13 years of being told that the pain and fatigue I have is just growing pains or laziness by my parents and then to be told that I'm just depressed by a GP is somewhat upsetting..

Thank you again for your reply, having heard another person say that genuinely gives me a weird sense of hope that I'll finally get to know what's wrong with me, despite fibro not really being something to be happy about having..

Adam
Adam1303
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:33 pm

:welcome: to the forum Adam.

I'm sorry to hear what you're going thru in trying to get some answers as to the reasons for you various symptoms and problems. Sadly some members of the healthcare profession are unable to accept that something as vague and unpredictable as FM can be a genuine condition, even tho there are sections on NHS sites covering it.

Is there a different GP you could see at your surgery?? One that may be more supportive and helpful. If not, then you may need to consider changing surgeries to find a more suitable one.

Whilst what you have described could be due to FM, the condition shares symptoms with a number of other conditions as well. It tends to be a case of once these other possibilities have been investigated and ruled out a dx of FM is given.

A lot of the meds used to try and manage a condition like FM can be addictive, but when potential benefits are taken into consideration, the risk of addiction is quite often out weighed by them. So it might be worth giving the cocodamol a go between now and your rheumy appt, they could help make things more manageable for you.

As for advice/guidance on how to manage/cope with things, we each have our own ways in dealing with them. If you can give us some ideas of what affects you the most, then we may be able to come up with some suggestions that you could try. You could also have a look thru some of the posts and topics on here, with the amount of info and advice on here, someone may have asked about something you are wondering about.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:06 pm

:welcome: to the forum Adam :wave:

Alot of your symptoms do mimic fibro but they also could be due to other things as well so its impossible for us to say whether you have fibro or not.

Have a good read around the forum to see if you have any other symptoms & write them all down, take them to your gp/rheumy with you so you dont forget anything.

:goodluck1: Hope you get some answers soon.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Adam1303 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:30 am

Hey,

I've been reading through some posts on here but haven't had the time to reply; I agree, there's a lot of very informative posts on here, some of which describe how I'm feeling exactly.

I've decided it's best for me to stop taking cocodamol, due to me being more forgetful than usual when taking it. Luckily for me, my boss is a GP and knows me personally, as yesterday I took money off a customer, put it next to the till and forgot all about it and when he showed me on the CCTV I looked very confused (as I was putting the money down.)

I'm not sure if it's the medication making me forgetful, but it's worth a try to stop taking it, even if it does mean I'll be in a lot of pain for a few days/weeks.

My boss also told me yesterday that he thinks I do have fibro and he's recommended I see a private rheumatologist, which I'm planning on doing as soon as he gets back to me with a good one. Money is a small price to pay for your health, after all!

I've also noticed which could just be coincidental but when taking cocodamol my body temperature tends to fluctuate more drastically as well as making me more forgetful, drowsy/fatigued etc...

Hopefully within the next few days I'll be seeing a rheumatologist and I'll be getting everything sorted soon.

Thanks again for the replies, they're greatly appreciated.

Adam
Adam1303
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello