[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Same Old Problems, New Diagnosis & New Support :)

Same Old Problems, New Diagnosis & New Support :)

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Same Old Problems, New Diagnosis & New Support :)

Postby TeriTShirt » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:50 pm

Hi everyone, :-D

I have just been diagnosed with FM and thought I would pop in here and say hello.

I have felt extremely isolated for years with what I now know is FM, so 'meeting' people who understand what life is like for me, feels like a lottery win (although it is obviously very sad that any of us have to have this as a shared experience at all, but hopefully you know what I mean :-? ).

I have been struggling on with work and family life for so many years, I was at giving up point until I had one last GP visit with my sister as back-up and got referred to a rheumotologist.

I am really keen to hear people's experiences and how on earth to manage this condition. I have felt for years that I was a huge failure, I struggle to get up every morning, I have cotton wool where my brain used to be, everything hurts, have no energy and the little I do have goes on getting to work so my poor little family get a really rubbish deal. I couldn't understand why I couldn't do the things 'normal' mothers do - getting the kids to school, putting them to bed, cooking their tea, running round with them, I thought I was obviously not meant for motherhood or marriage, despite the fact that I love them and my hubby to bits. Surely if I loved them I should be able to muster up the energy and physical ability to just 'get on with it' as my mother is always saying?

I have had 12 reconstructive plastic surgery operations and shingles and am pretty sure that the damage I am now dealing with is linked to those, but for years GPs have been telling me it's all in head, (which is particularly frustrating as a mental health worker I am very self-aware).... until Friday. Thank the Lord I am very hopeful I can now give myself a break, read up on FM, share experiences and move forward.

Sorry for rabbitting on, but it's been a long time coming having somewhere to share my experience.

I hope I have written this in the right place, not very good with these forums.

Best wishes to you all xxxxxxxxxxxxxx :-)
TeriTShirt
UKFM Newbie

Re: Same Old Problems, New Diagnosis & New Support :)

Postby maxtomads » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:58 pm

Hi Teti & welcome to the family. :smile:

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
maxtomads
UKFM Member

Postby TeriTShirt » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:01 pm

Hi Maxtomads,

That really made me smile as it is something my friend always says :-) I feel like I am now ready to learn how to do that now I finally have a name for how I've been for a good while. Thanks for the welcome xxxxxx
TeriTShirt
UKFM Newbie

Postby maxtomads » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:32 pm

Hi Teri (got it right this time)
It is good in a way to have a label, even though it might not say what we want it to.
I've found the best way for me to deal with the symptoms is to accept that they're here to stay & use cbt & self hypnosis to change my perception of them. I work 3 days a week as a s/emp physio, some days I manage but others I really struggle. The meds route isn't right for me as anything stronger than paracetamol stops me functioning.
I think the most important lesson I've learned is to try different ways of controlling the symptoms & find out what works for you.
There are lots of lovely people on here, all with lots of advice & suggestions.
Again, welcome :smile:

maxtomads
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:17 pm

:welcome: to our little fibro sanctuary Teri :wave: :wave:

There is lots of info on here, so having a look and a read around might bring up some advice and suggestions that you could try out and see if they help you. There is also plenty of support [chocolate] [chocolate] and :wine: :wine: to help you get thru those darker times.

I try to manage my FM with meds, CBT~based techniques, pacing myself and using things like hottie botties and heated wheaty bags on the extra hurty bits as it seems to ease things back a little, even if it is only briefly. Like max, I try to work with my symptoms and problems rather than fight against them as they have been and are undoubtedly going to be with me for the long haul :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: I also try to take each day as it comes as there is no knowing what it will have in store for me. Got it a bit wrong this weekend tho :oops: :oops: :oops: Ended up being possessed by a Domestic Goddess and doing far too much in far too short a time :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: Oh well, onto tomorrow..................... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anything you want to know about, just ask away. There is a good chance someone will have had a similar experience and may have some useful advice for you :wave: :wave: :wave:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:46 pm

Hi TT and :welcome: to the forum :wave: :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:33 pm

:welcome: to the forum Teri :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby TeriTShirt » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:02 am

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it!!! :)

I will have a good look around on here as I have had the joy of letting my boss know about my condition yesterday and really got the feeling they had no idea what that meant and there was no offer of support or adaptations so I worry it will be forgotten about. It is a really strict and stressful environment i work in so quite hard to not worry about my future in the company.
TeriTShirt
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello