Hiya!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hiya!

Postby vixster » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:09 pm

Hi guys,

I've had pains in my knees since I was 17 (I'm 21 now) but it didn't bother me too much. It has gotten progressively worse over the past 4 years.

In the past year I've had increasing pain in my knees, lower back, hips and in the past few weeks my right shoulder; it's a struggle to walk up stairs normally (I have to waddle to shift the weight from knee-to-knee), I can't stand up for more than 10 minutes without being in pain (a nightmare when waiting for a bus) and the only exercise I can do is swimming (on my good days when I'm not exhausted). My social life is non existent because I've been too tired to go out with my friends and I never get invited out anymore :(

My concentration is also at a rock bottom; people think I do my job really well (as do I ;-) ) but it is such an effort to concentrate to be the best at what I do that it exhausts me even more, even though I try to make it look effortless to other people in the office. I always looked "bombed out" because I'm trying to focus on whatever. I muddle my words and writing quite a bit now as well (but I can recognise when I do so which is good :) ). Most of the time when I get in from work I just lie in bed, but when I do have a slight bit of energy I try and go swimming. I feel like an old woman when I should be going out and having fun like other people my age...

I found out about fibromyalgia by chance when my ex put on Facebook that he has it. He had been trying to find a diagnosis for his crippling pain and chronic fatigue when we were together so I felt compelled to read about it. It's the only condition which I've thought matches my symptoms like a glove.

After another visit to my GP yesterday and trying to get it through to him that my constant fatigue and absurd lack of concentration isn't just due to my depression (I was signed off work for 2 weeks just got back this week) he thinks I might have fibromyalgia. He has referred me to a rheumatologist to get a better opinion but there won't be an appointment until at least after Easter. He did think I had arthritis (there's a family history of early onset) but there was no inflammation in my blood tests and joints apart from my liver and the sites of the pain and when they hurt didn't match up with arthritis.

So hopefully the rheumatologist can figure out a diagnosis so I can learn better how to cope with the issues I've been having.

Sorry for the essay, I keep thinking of things I can add :oops:

Thanks for reading :)
vixster
UKFM Member

Re: Hiya!

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:43 pm

:wave: :wave: vixster and :welcome: to the forum.

Hope you're not waiting too long for your appt with the rheumy to come thru :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: While you're waiting tho, maybe have a look round here and see what there is across the boards. There may be some helpful bits in amongst the info and advice on here that helps you make things a little more comfortable and easier to manage.

Anythng you're wondering about, just ask and we'll try to help you with it :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby vixster » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:49 pm

I'm having a look now.

Hopefully the appointment will be a couple of months away at the max :fingerscrossed:
vixster
UKFM Member

Postby GeeJay » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:13 pm

Hi :wave:
I know how frustrating it is when people don't understand how you feel, I've been through it as well. I have just been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Arthritis (last week), I have to go for a scan on Wednesday to see if it's Rhuematoid or Osteoarthritis. Hopefully you should get a diagnosis when you go to your appointment. :fingerscrossed:
Last edited by GeeJay on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeeJay
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:05 am

Hi and :welcome: to the forum :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:18 pm

:welcome: to the forum vixster :wave:

Hope you get some answers soon. :wave:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello