First time! Just been diagnosed.

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

First time! Just been diagnosed.

Postby savke » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:03 am

Hi. I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago and it made perfect sense to me. I am so relieved to know that there's a reason why I've been having so many aches and pains for so many years. Much worse in the last year. I'm seeing lots of topics here that I can relate to. It's a comfort to know there are people out there who understand what fibro is like. Looking forward to getting to know more about the condition and to learning how to manage it. Trying hard to stay positive. Happy to hear from others on here. Be well, people!
savke
UKFM Newbie

Re: First time! Just been diagnosed.

Postby hooplykim » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:10 am

Hi savke

Yes it's a relief to actually hear a diagnosis for all the pain and other symptoms we have had for so long

There are brilliant posts on here you will find everything from the serious stuff to light hearted stuff that makes you laugh

It's also great to hear medication that works for some.

Hope you are well,
Gentle hugs
X
Fibromyalgia is not who we are, Just something we have.
hooplykim
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:35 am

:welcome: to the forum savke :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Glad you've finally got a dx, having a name for the various things you have been experiencing can be quite a relief as you then know you're not going completely round the twist :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

Staying positive can be difficult at times, some blips are inevitable along the way, so just go with how you feel and you will find your way thru things.

Just ask if there's anything you want to know about, just ask as there's a good chance someone will have had a similar experience and may have some useful advice for you :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:50 pm

:welcome: to the forum savke :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby savke » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:44 pm

Thanks all for the warm welcome :-D

Don't know if it's coincidence or what but within a week of diagnosis I started with the worst flare up ever. Did that happen to anyone? I'm now off sick from work and to be honest feel like I won't be going back for some time yet. I'm told fibro is not well received where I work so the thought of going there after feeling so rough is not something I can handle just now. Constantly worrying though that the longer I'm off the worse the reception will be when I do go back. Catch 22 cos worrying makes the brain fog waaaaay worse lol! On that subject, I cannot tell you how relieved I am to now know about brain fog as a symptom. I have for years doubted my ability to succeed based purely on the fact I forget things easily and take so much longer than others to collect my thoughts and make decisions. For years I've thought I was some kind of idiot! I hate the pain I have every day but the validation that comes from diagnosis is overwhelming. On the plus side my gp is quite understanding and the amitryptiline is helping when I remember to take it.

Hoping all your tomorrows are less painful than today

X
savke
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:18 pm

It's not unusual to feel worse after you've been given your dx, it's as if the realisation and enormity of it all has to jump up and whack you down just so you know it's there and is going to be around for a good while :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

WRT to work, you should be protected under the Equalities Act 2010, which means when an employee advises their employer that have a chronic condition/illness/disability, the employer cannot discriminate against the employee and is in fact required under law to make "reasonable adjustments" that allow the employee to continue to work as effectively as possible wither their condition/illness/disability. There should either be someone where you work who can tell you how this can be applied to your particular job, usually someone like HR or Occy Health. If there isn't anyone who can help, you have access to the Disability Employment Adviser based in your local JobCentre who should be able to help with things.

You're right in thinking the worrying will make things worse as things like worry feed FM unfortunately. Good to hear the amis are helping you, they are at their most effective when taken regularly, so maybe setting yourself an alarm/reminder to take them at a particular time each night could be something to consider doing.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby savke » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:45 am

Thanks FuppyPuffy.
Yes I think I've become so hyper aware since diagnosis that it seems like everything fibro-related is happening at once. Too much to handle! Reading makes me realise I'm stuck with it too. I know I'm at the start of a process of learning to manage and cope. Hope I can offer my experience to others in the future.
Thanks for the employment rights info. I'll keep it in mind.

Be well
:fingerscrossed:
savke
UKFM Newbie

Postby hooplykim » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:25 pm

just a tip for remembering the meds as i too forgot all the time for a while, i always have them by my bed and when i make the bed in the morning i sit them on the pillow, and even if i was to forget to put them on the pillow they would still be by the bed lol

glad the amitripryline is working for you, and as fluppypuffy said do not worry about work as this is not your fault. a flare up is horrible just stay warm and relax and give the fibro fog time to settle! we all do the daftest things with the fog, i put boiling water in my cereal again this morning instead of my tea!

gentle hugs
Fibromyalgia is not who we are, Just something we have.
hooplykim
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello