Ello Chatty Peeps

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Ello Chatty Peeps

Postby Borderslass » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:27 pm

Hello everyone, I stumbled across this forum whilst searching the interweb for relief from IBS lol, seems there might be a connection with Fibro and IBS.... well I never knew that, nor it seems did the numerous hospital consultants I have seen over the years !
I have lived with Fibro since 1999 and was also diagnosed with an under active thyroid.
Prior to this I had a very demanding and stressful job, I managed to keep working until 2009 when I was medically retired by my employers.
During this time I have been prescribed most of the painkillers and anti depressants that others on the forum are familiar with.

I have learned how to manage my condition to the extent it no longer controls me.
I accept the fact that I am in pain every day now and rather than hide under my duvet in a wee ball of misery as I used to, I keep active, I go out and photograph and watch wildlife and because I am focused on something enjoyable I don't notice the pain, yes I know when I get home the pain and tiredness will return big time, but hey that's what painkillers are for :-D

I see that others have mentioned gentle exercise, for me this has been a crucial factor in helping me reach the stage where I no longer take any medication for fibro other than paracetamol, I may have the odd time when I do need the strong stuff when it's particularly cold and damp or sometimes that certain time of the month when you have to keep clear of sharp implements and halfwits :-D

Half the battle is in the mind, by that I do not mean that our pain is imagined, that simply is not the case.
What I mean is to break the pain cycle that controlled my life, I had to get to grips with the fact that I was going to be in pain, so why not exercise, why not go out for a couple of hours and focus on something I enjoy.
Participation in daily exercise and positive determined thinking has meant I have gone from not being able to walk, not being able to open or close my hands, to being able to do anything I set my mind to.

Take pride in the things you do manage to achieve everyday rather than feel guilty about the things you did not manage. :lol:

Best regards to you all.
Life too dull for you ! then Polish The Bright Side
Borderslass
UKFM Member

Re: Ello Chatty Peeps

Postby hooplykim » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:55 pm

Hello borderslass

What a great post and very inspiring, positive attitude is sometimes the only things that get us through the days when the painkillers don't and you seem to have loads of it!

Xxxxx
Fibromyalgia is not who we are, Just something we have.
hooplykim
UKFM Member

Postby monica » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:10 pm

Welcome borderlass

Sounds like you have got your fibro sussed! I too try and keep positive and doing the things I want to do..or try to anyway!
monica
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:07 pm

Hi borderlass and :welcome: to the forum :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:29 pm

:welcome: to the forum Borderslass :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Sounds like you've got your FM pretty much doing what you want it to do rather than it being in charge of you :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: Keeping as positive as you can and finding ways to manage things as effectively as you can all help with making things that bit easier to deal with.

IBS is a known/associated condition of FM, and quite a few of us on here suffer with it in varying degrees at different times, As you look around the boards, you may come across some other things that are associated with FM which you have wondered about before.

Anything you want to know, just ask about it and we'll try to find a helpful answer for you :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Borderslass » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:43 pm

Thanks for the welcome folks :-D
I wish I had found this forum before now lol
Scrolling through I see that I am not alone in how Fibro affects me.
I had to laugh at the Princess & The Pea thread, as I too have a memory foam mattress covered by a couple of duvets and I still feel every lump ! prompting my family to call me The Princess :-D

It's fair braw to be here :lol:
Life too dull for you ! then Polish The Bright Side
Borderslass
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:49 pm

:welcome: to the forum borderlass :cow-wave:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Flaw » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:32 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Your post made me smile :) looking forward to reading more from you- sometimes it's hard to find the positive in day to day life- especially in this weather! Roll on spring :)
Flaw
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello