Many questions

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Many questions

Postby c4rolgr4y » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:34 am

Hi I'm Carol and I have been told on Wednesday that it is likely that I have Fibromyalgia. Quite what this will mean in the longer term for me I'm not at all sure. I currently work full time and manage a team of 44 people. This is a stressful job which infortunately involves having to deal with anti-social behaviour in the surrounding areaof my employment. This also impacts upon the business and as I am Performance Managed and work to targets there is also added pressure in that respect.

I have a daily headache now and I very nearly dropped the kettle of boiling water this morning when a sharp pain shot right up my arm. I have aching joints especailly my wrists and elbows and at night my very bones seem to ache. I have also experienced broken sleep to such an extent that I feel utterly exhausted.

I am usually such an outgoing,enthusiastic, get up and go type of person but every action seems such an effort and the tiredness disproportionate to the task. I am on holiday from work this week and most of next and I suppose having time to absorb the news and also try to research what is likely to happen, and deal with the fear of the unknown is proving to be a bit much for me. Please feel free to comment and give me some insight into what I can reasonably expect as regards working full time and fibromyalgia or alternatively how I can stay buoyant in the meantime. Thank you.
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split into smaller paragraphs for easier reading.
c4rolgr4y
UKFM Newbie

Re: Many questions

Postby Diane64 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:34 am

Hi Carol, this post was like reading about myself!!.. although I am not a manager I also have a demanding job and still at present have a active social life although there is days I could just hide under my duvet I try as much as I can to do the things I can cause don't know when I wont be able to.. The problem is we cant foresee the future and I just hope I don't get any worse than I already am..i worry that I will be seen as "not fit for purpose" in my role at work so for now I put a face on it and get on with it, as yet I haven't took a day off work because of fibro and hope this will be the case for the long term future..

I get all of what you say and how your feeling and fibro can totally overwhelm you with worries, we all have bills to pay and for me that is a bit worry if cant work.

Hopefully you can remain as positive as you can Carol, sorry I cant give you insight, just some empathy with how you are feeling and fingers crossed it may not be as bad as we initially think..

Take care and best wishes..Di.
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:44 pm

:welcome: to the forum Carol :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: I'm sorry to hear it's looking possible that you could be told you have FM :( :(

I've split your post up into smaller paragraphs to make reading it a bit easier as quite a few of us on here can find reading a large block of text difficult thanks to FM :facepalm: :facepalm:

It's not really easy to say what might happen in the future due to the vague and unpredictable nature of FM, plus the fact that it affects us all so very differently.

With what you have said about your job, that could have a bearing on how you are affected as the more stress we are under, the more it feeds FM and helps it get its claws wrapped around and into us. However, if you can find the right cocktail of meds/treatments/relaxation/positive ways to live with your condition, some of these effects could be fended off which would make things a little easier for you. I'm afraid it's a case of trying things in different combos and seeing what does/doesn't makes a difference, as just as we are all affected differently, so we also respond/react differently to things used to try and manage the condition.

Sorry it doesn't have the insight you are hoping for, but I find being honest about how things tend to be does go down better in the long run. You need to give yourself time to get used to living and working with your condition and find what will help you.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:47 pm

:welcome: to the forum Carol :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby c4rolgr4y » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:18 pm

To all of you who have responded,thanks so much for taking the time to reply and give me some of your experiences. Since yesterday, I have invested in three downloads for my kindle which are all relevant to Fibro.
This morning I have started reading one book entitled Paractical Living with Fibromyalgia which echoes many of the feelings I am having at the moment.
I didn't have a very good night last night as I felt reasonably Ok yesterday and perhaps overdid things a bit. Through the night my back,my arms and shoulders were aching. I also seem to be "running" to the loo much more than I used to do. Perhaps running was the wrong word given my current state of balance. :lol:
I used to go to Yoga until fairly recently, as away to unwind and keep myself supple. However, I became concerned by my lack of balance whilst trying some positions and also head movements were making me feel nauseous and dizzy. It is something I will try to go back to though because I feel the benefits outweighed the negative elements.
Another book I've downloaded is 50 Things You Can Do Today To Manage your Fibromylagia. I am desperate to know as much as I can but also fearful.
I am not very good at uncertainties I'm afraid, and this unfortunately seems lik e a biggie :( I'll need to live in the moment more than I' ve ever done before.
I like to try and help other people if I can, and I know it won't come easy to me to slow things right down.
Thanks so much for your replies and have taken heart from the fact that although fatigue and complications with reading and typing are often part of fibro, you have taken the time and made the effort to help me with my initial acceptance.
I will certainly feel better for being part of such a caring group of people. Thanks again :lol:
c4rolgr4y
UKFM Newbie

Postby hooplykim » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Hi carol and welcome

I just thought I would give you a bit of insight about myself, I was diagnosed in September but had symptoms for a while, I am currently in the " in between stage" of getting the right meds. Like fluppypuffy said its about working out what combination of meds actually helps

I was very fearful when I first found out I was a fibrette as I call myself these days. Some days are terrible and some are better , i am learning though, that if I have a good day, not to go rushing about too much as it just makes you feel terrible after! I personally had to give up work but I now volunteer when I am able. I was very active and went to the gym and did yoga a lot and was disappointed to stop, but the doc told me to continue with the yoga at a few mins a day to start with and build up if I am able, as she said that very gentle exercise does help to deal with the pain better.

There are so many people here though that have had fibro for such a long time and people who are like myself, learning what works for them so you will always be able to get help. Sleep, is unfortunately very difficult for a lot of us and that makes the day feel a lot worse. I hope you do manage to find a way round work as stress also makes things feel bad. But when you get your fibro fog moments its a good idea to try and laugh at yourself and reading some of the posts on here about what people can do in the foggy moments is hilarious

Everyone here is so friendly though and any questions you have I am sure someone will have a good answer

Good luck and gentle hugs
Fibromyalgia is not who we are, Just something we have.
hooplykim
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello