Hello!!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello!!

Postby Gill257 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:54 am

Hi there, my name is Gill, I'm 42 and I'm newly diagnosed with Fibro along with Hypermobility Syndrome and I also have Coeliac Disease.

My symptoms are fairly mild on a good day with aches in my shoulders, back and arms.... on a bad day I can barely stand my clothes touching my skin. My feet and ankles constantly hurt, my balance isn't brilliant and the tiredness can hit me like running into a brick wall.

Having said that, I am fortunate that I can function ok most days, if a bit slower than I used to. I work in an office four days a week and whilst we are short staffed, I get by with keeping a list of things to do and asking colleagues to email rather then verbally request things, then I am less likely to forget.

I have read through a lot of the posts and am thankful that my symptoms are so mild. I am lucky to have a GP that takes me seriously (following a prompt from my Coeliac consultant), and a supportive family.

Whilst I am still a bit overwhelmed with all the information, the only question I have at this time is how Fibro progresses. I know everyone's different, but does it gradually get worse over the years or is this how I am going to be?

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to chatting with you on here.

Gill.
Gill257
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hello!!

Postby maxtomads » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:29 am

Hi Gill & welcome to the family. You sound to be coping really well. There doesn't seem to be any hard & fast rule for the course fibro takes. In my case I was very much like you are now up until a year or so ago, but seem to have been in a permanent flare since. I don't know what the trigger was although it did coincide roughly with onset of the menopause, but no matter how much I try to cut things out & pace myself I can't get things to level out. I only work 3 short days a week now, and as self employed can't afford to work less than that. I keep hoping once the menopause is over it'll settle down to a manageable level. As you said, everyone's different - I hope you can find a way to keep things on an even keel that works for you.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
maxtomads
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:35 am

:welcome: to our little fibro sanctuary Gill :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Virtually all of us found it a bit overwhelming when first dx'd so you're in good company on here :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: There is so much to take in and get used to and your mind just doesn't stop whizzing.

It's not easy to say how your FM will progress as it affects us all so very differently :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: If you look around the forum, when questions have been asked previously, most of the replies suggest that it does get worse over time, but to varying degrees depending on the individual, if the right combo of meds/treatments have been found to get things to behave more suitably etc etc. Then of course there are some who find that they stay the same as they started off or may even find that some things can improve. Again, that comes down to the individual, how they are affected, finding the right meds/treatments combo etc etc.

It sounds like you've got work pretty well organised which can help make a difference to things, esp the stress side as FM just loves what stress can do to us :shock: :shock: :shock: Having your understanding GP will be a big help, just as having the support of those important to you will be.

If you can, try not to think too much about what might happen in the future as the worry it could cause would also add its effects to how you feel. What most of us tend to do, esp at first, is to take things day~by~day, even hour~by~hour at times, and just concentrate on getting thru the day in the best way possible. Then as you learn what your abilities and capabilities are, start to look a little further forward again.

Anything else you're wondering about, just ask and we'll try to help you with it :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby teepee » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:51 pm

hello my name is teepee, i too am recently dxnosed, i work short shifts now as a senior care assistant, i also have good days and bad days , my bad days are awfull :yikes: its really good that you have a good dr. Mine has been very good, i still try to hope things wont get too bad, but as long as i have my sense of humour i will be fine , i hope we can chatt some time. There are some good books around and i found the book living with fibromyalgia very helpful. :-)
teepee
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:04 pm

Hi Gill and Teepee and :welcome: to the forum :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Gill257 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:19 am

Thanks to you all for the warm welcome :-D

Teepee, just before I read your post I had downloaded the book Living with Fibromyalgia - already I have found that some of the things I thought were just weird about me have a reason or cause.

I'm just taking one day at a time at the moment.

Gill
Gill257
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:56 pm

:welcome: to the forum Gill :wave:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello