Newbie here to this forum

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Newbie here to this forum

Postby shanmoo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:47 pm

Hello there,
I was diagnosed with FM a year ago, following several years of illness. It had started with trigeminal neuralgia and facial pain together with IBS about 6 years ago, then I started getting back pain, and unfortunately fell on my spine and gave myself whiplash which was never healed properly.
About 2 years ago I started to get bouts of dizziness, near unconsciousness and had difficult walking.
Thyroid tested, told had hashimotos and a variable thyroid reading but this wouldnt be causing my symptoms.
Symptoms much worse when back pain flared up. Pain went into legs and arms. Also had neck and shoulder pain for years which was just getting worse.
Hospitalised several times due to unable to function, in a wheelchair quite often at the hospital. Was admitted to a rheumy ward, but told there was nothing wrong with me, just a bit of benign back pain and I just needed a few exercises.
Had also been told several times that my symptoms were psychosomatic.
I have had depression and anxiety for years, but I got suicidal with this illness.

Physiotherapist suggested that I should get checked out for FM.
Sure was, and also have hypermobility syndrome
Also had MRI of the spine and I have some facet joint degeneration in the lower spine.
Other conditions are vasovagal syncope, GERD, migraines, IBS, facial pain and I now have an underactive thyroid which I take meds for.

I suffer very badly with anxiety and depression.

Was on ESA last year but this was stopped in July last year due to finding of fitness for work.

I did start a part time job in October whilst appealing that decision. The work had nothing to do with the decision, but I had improved a bit and wanted to try working.

Im still in the job, but struggling.
I lost my appeal at the tribunal, and am awaiting the full decision to see about appealing it further. Im hoping to get help through my union, but it may not happen.

Anyway guys thats enough about me. ! And thats the express version.

Look forward to catching up with you all on the threads.

Shanmoo
shanmoo
UKFM Newbie

Re: Newbie here to this forum

Postby shanmoo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:32 pm

PS Im in the Sunderland area, Im aware theres a support group however as they meet Monday lunch times when Im at work Im not going at the moment. However would love to hear from other sufferers near me....
shanmoo
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:53 pm

:welcome: to the forum Shanmoo :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

It sounds like your journey to get your FM collectors card was an eventful one, something that quite a few of us have shared, so you're in good company :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

There is lots of info and advice on here, esp on the Benefits and Work board, so have a bit of a look to see if there is anything useful or helpful for you. If your union can't/won't help you with your ESA appeal, see what organisations, such as Citizens Advice, Welfare Rights, are in your area. They can often provide help and advice in situations like you have found yourself in, or if it's something they can't deal with, may well be able to put you in contact with someone who can help you. There are quite often smaller, local organisations that can help as well.

Anything else you're wondering about, just ask away as it doesn't usually take too long for someone to :horse_running: :horse_running: :horse_running: with a reply :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:25 pm

:welcome: to the forum Shanmoo :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello