[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Introduce yourself ((xx))

Introduce yourself ((xx))

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Introduce yourself ((xx))

Postby denys » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:12 pm

Hi to all the newbies I have missed and :welcome: to the forum I hope we can offer you all the support you need :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Mitzi » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:24 pm

Hi my name is Michelle.I have not been fully fit and well after being ill in November 2009. Initially my GP thought it was swine flu. post viral fatigue syndrome, chronic fatigue syndrome until finally after having every blood test and scan under the sun which all came back normal, I was referred to a rheumatologist. I was in with the rheumatologist for ten minutes and was finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia.

At long last I had an answer and could say to all those who didn't believe me that something was wrong, that I was ill and it wasn't all in my head.

The last two years have been a nightmare. I work for the Civil Service and I have had two periods of long term sickness absence. During this time I was not looked after properly by my line management. I am now in a new job still within the Civil Service but have put on what they call "Restoring Efficiency" due to my "extreme" levels of sickness absence. If I am off for a total of 15 days or for four separate periods of sickness absence within the next 12 months, I can be dismissed on health grounds or retired through ill-health. I have appealed against this decision and my hearing with a senior manager is tomorrow morning and I am dreading it :(((

Since 2010 I have had three occupational health assessments with Atos Healthcare and it looks like I will be having a fourth shortly. They have all said that Fibromyalgia can be classed as a disability under the Act but this should be decided by a Tribunal.Has anyone heard of these Tribunals? If so, can you please help with any advice?

Since October I have had possibly 7-14 days off due to my Fibromyalgia and 9 days off due to flu and chest infections.
I do have a very low immune system and seem to pick up every bug and infection that is going around and I am petrified I could lose my job.

Fingers crossed, tomorrow will go my way, but I am not holding out much hope :(
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs clearer
Mitzi
UKFM Newbie

Postby TracyH » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:43 pm

Hello everyone,

I was diagnosed with FM in Aug 09. Its seems it can be bought on by a bad thing happening to you like a car accident which I was in, in July 07. I had lots of symptoms prior to being diagnosed. Like with most things I just get on with it. but probably in the last year or so I have been looking into FM more and finding that things I have pain, IBS, migrane, tennis elbow etc is related to FM.

I was put on Amitriptlyne 25mg to start and every time I went back to the Drs for something it ended up being related to the FM and the meds was gradually increased to 75mg which I take at night instead of practically falling asleep at my desk. Over the last 2 months my symptoms have been really flaring up, I cannot think what might have triggered it. I have been put on Stage 1 of 3 sick at work and sent to Occupational Health Dr. I should not be treated as a normal person in regards to sick leave as FM comes under the DDA. but still they are and I went into work last week and had to come home as I was feeling pretty rough. I received a letter from HR stating if I take 2 or more days between now and July I will automatically go onto a Stage 2!!!! bloody hell, so my union rep is investigating it.

I went to the Drs this morning and ended up breaking down as my flare up are more and more.....Tennis elbow, bowel problems, migranes, I ache from top to toe, my memory is getting so bad.....my family dont really understand as I look ok from the outside, I just try to get on with things.

I have noticed from alot of posts people end up giving up work, I really dont want to be doing this I cannot sit indoors :cry: Dr has given me 10 days off work to rest, its because I am not resting the FM is flaring up. I have read that this condition does not deterorate but I feel like I am. I work full time in a call centre for housing.

I have 3 boys 2 of them live with their dad as few years previous to FM I suffered from body tremors that left me with different symptoms i.e. I couldnt walk unaided, I had prolonged speech, I was paralised from neck down. All these were temporary symtoms but would put me out of work for weeks. This went on for about a year, I couldnt look after myself let alone my boys and social services were rubbish. My boys went to live with their dad and they come to me alternate weekends, school holidays etc. Although they are 15 and 17 now they are still a handful!!!

Its nice to be able to speak/type to people who understand what each of us are going through.

TracyH :crazy:
TracyH
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:08 pm

:welcome: to the forum Michelle and Tracy :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

There is a lot of info and advice on here that you may find useful, so have a look around and you may come across some helpful suggestions :penguin: :penguin:

Do you both have a union rep or some sort of staff association that you could contact, as they should be able to advise you on your rights and position as FM is covered by the Equalities Act 2010, which replaced the Disability Discrimination Act. If there isn't a rep or someone who can help, then maybe trying an organisation like CAB or other similar place could put you in touch with someone who can help you.

Anything either of you want to know about, all you need to do is ask and we'll try to help you with it :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby bluetascha » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:32 pm

bluetascha
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:58 pm

Hi to you both and :welcome: to the forum, looks as though you both have a lot in common with both each other and others on the forum so hopefully you can get some advice and support :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Mitzi » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:25 pm

Hi bluetascha,
Thanks for getting in touch!!! Maybe we help each other get this nightmare!!!

What a waste of time, my appeal wasn't upheld and the Restoring Efficiency has been put on hold until my Occupational Health Assessment.
In the last 6 months I have been off sick for 17 days, 5 of which are due to my Fibromyalgia and 12 due to Flu/Ear, Throat and Chest Infections. I called DBS today and have requested my OH assessment to be a face to face consultation. How Atos Healthcare can assess you from a telephone conversation I have no idea. Can you get access to the Equality Act 2010? This helped me enormously with getting my line management to recognise that Fibromyalgia can be classed as a disability, HOWEVER it does depend on how long you have had it. I was told by a senior manager today that they feel I am unable to hold down a full-time job!!!!! Talk about being knocked down even further. I have been back at work full time since July, so it just does not make any sense. I have been in contact with the Union but because I am not a member, they won't help. I contacted the Employee Wellbeing Service *(EWS)and they told me they couldn't help and to talk to the Pay and Absence team who told me today they can't help and told me to get in touch with EWS!!!!

I am going to contact EWS again tomorrow as I would like to talk to someone and find out if there is someone I can talk too. I have done everything by the book and still end up feeling let down by the whole system.

I will keep you posted of any future developments, take care and keep smiling xx xx
Mitzi
UKFM Newbie

Postby Silversurfer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:44 pm

Hello my name is Paul and I am New to this site.
Firstly can I say that I can sympathise with Mitzi, as her experience is almost identical to mine. Prior to 2009 although in Full time work I was increasingly getting more and more tired until in May 2009 while at work I had to leave and call my GP. The Bird Flu was circulating at that time and the doctor thought that I may have caught this virus. I felt that I had the Flu and was convinced that after a couple of weeks I would be over it.
That day never arrived. I have never been so tired in my life! I never recovered and the Chronic Tiredness was then accompanied by a continuous headache that never went away. After more test that I can relate and then eventually visits to a Rheumatologist I was told I had CFS. I changed my GP as the original doctor thought it was all in my head! My current GP has had CFS and so is very understanding.
Other symptoms followed - IBS , Failing Memory, Inability to find words when speaking, Sensitivity to light, Migraines just to name a few. I was on long term sick when my illness seemed to take another twist.
I now started to ache all over - I had pain like I have NEVER experienced in my life before. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia now as well.

I had already been on pain killers for 20Yrs due to my Spinal problems (CoDydramol). These tablets didn't even dent the pain I was feeling. My GP started to prescribe Amytriptyline 25mg at night then up to 75mg/night and Naproxen (Anti-inflammatory) 500mg x 2/day with Gabapentin 300mg x 4/day. Since then I have been to a pain Clinic as there are times when I am climbing the wall with pain. The Doctor there suggested Tramadol 50mg x 4/day to replace the CoDydramol, upping the Gabapentin to 400mg x 4/day, stopping the Amytriptyline and replacing it with Duloxetine 60mg at Night and leaving the Naproxen unchanged. While the pain control is better I still cry with pain on the worst days.

Now with regard to the work situation - after seeing many Occupational Health guys they eventually got rid of me on sickness grounds. Even after trying to argue that for nearly 40yrs. I had never had any long term sickness they seemed to just dismiss this and pursue sickness severance. The stress of having to go through this while dealing with CFS and Fibromyalgia only exacerbated my condition.

When this battle ceased and I was severed from work my next battle loomed on the horizon. I had never really dealt with the DWP before, and boy was I in for a shock. Try filling in a 50+ page form when you suffer from these illnesses! There is insufficient space to discuss this chapter of my life, but it was hell. Then as I was so disabled the DLA fight was on - 3 times they denied any DLA entitlements and eventually it went to a Tribunal. I am happy to say I was eventually awarded middle rate of care component and High rate of mobility.
My life has most certainly changed and while the pain aspect has eased it is still very painful, particularly with flare ups.

Well that's me, sorry if it's dragged on a little, hope to hear from someone soon who understands what this terrible illness is all about.
Paul.
Silversurfer
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:25 am

Hi Paul and :welcome: to the forum :wave: your story unfortuantely is very similar to so many of us on here and we do all understand what this condition can do to us and how far down it can make you drop so I'm sure you will get understanding and support from everyone :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby TracyH » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:03 pm

Hi Mitzi,

Seems we are going through the same things. Can you not join the union? My union rep is amazing although I am being threatened with Stage 2 sick my union rep has told me she will investigate it. I am currently off sick.

Where are you from Mitzi?
TracyH
UKFM Member

Postby hollyberry24 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:59 pm

Hello!

I'm Holly, I'm 24 years old and have Fibro with other bits, but its my insomnia and fibro that effects me the most. I have useless doctors and feel very trapped in a cycle of pain, tiredness and pills! I'm a vegan, a musician and a waitress part time. I love fashion and obsessed with tattoos. I have tattoos over my sensitive points which I have no idea how I got through, but I think being so use to pain in day to day life, a needle scraping through my skin making art doesn't bother me! ( though my rhematologist thought I was a nutter!!)

I want to advise and get adive from folk alike and make some friends who really understand what I go through

Thanks!!!

Holly x
Fibromyalgia, Hypermobility Syndrome, Insomnia, Chronic Pain Syndrome, Eczema, IBS and possible Raynard Phenomenon. Learning to spell that was hard enough let alone cope with it!!
hollyberry24
UKFM Newbie

Introduce yourself ((xx))

Postby Mozza » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:25 pm

Hi holly, one of my giveaways to fibro was being unable to stand the pain of new tattoos, and after getting them for ten years i was quite alarmed. My skin started swelling, not the normal but making the area look deformed and lasted for a good few weeks. Even cheating with emlar didn't work :-( since being diagnosed i have only had a small flower done on my hand. I have a good majority of my body done and another "strange" occurrence was areas that had been inked would raise up and become really itchy and sore. I don't think it will stop me but it has delayed work that i want finished. It seems never ending re symptoms and strange bodily happenings but i can still smile :-)) xxm
Mozza
UKFM Member

Postby bluetascha » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:44 pm

Good Evening!

And I have been wondering why one of my tattoos has raised and become sore and itchy! Its the one on my shoulder. The one on my ankle has been fine so far. I didnt even think that had anything to do with my fibro???!! I thought it was some allergic reaction although I have had the tattoo over 15 years now. My skin has generally been quite itchy, but again I haven't put that down to the fibro ....????

Haven't really introduced myself properly yet, so guess I should. I was diagnosed with fibro in March this year after 18 months of not knowing what was going on. At same time have been diagnosed with arthritis in my toe joints and fallen arches. I have suffered with IBS since 2005 and have had Raynauds' as long as I can remember. I have two children and a german shepherd. Have been off work since Jan this year and will be expected to go back after my next appointment with Occ Health on 22nd May! Very scary prospect as I am still in the 'trial and error' phase of medication. My insomnia seems to be getting worse, as do my days of total exhaustion! Kids and dog keep me going though, just about. Single parent, so there is nobody else to run the house!

Worse thing about this illness ?..... not knowing what pain you will wake with or whether you will be able to get anything done that day. Second worse thing? .... nobody seems to understand it if they havent experienced it first hand and the doctors seem to be just as confused in their understanding.

I'm glad for support like this site. After reading through all the posts and comments, you don't feel so alone!

Anyone else from Dorset out there???

Tasha xxxxx
bluetascha
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:02 pm

Hi Newbies and :welcome: to the forum :wave:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:32 pm

WOW!!! So many new recruits, nice to have you with us, just wish it was under better circumstances :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

There is a lot of info and advice on here, so have a look round and see if there is anything you might find useful or helpful. We try to offer support for each other during those darker days that FM likes us to have, and love to hear when someone has some good news so we can join in with the :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

If there's anything you'd like to know, all you need to do is ask, as we're all pretty friendly on here, esp when we're fed [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] And will try to help you with things :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

PreviousNext

Return to Where to Say Hello