[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Introduce yourself ((xx))

Introduce yourself ((xx))

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby Jamdog » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:48 pm

Hi all,
My name is Stefan, I'm 35 years old and I enjoy computer programming, website design, and hardware/software problem solving. It's therefore not really surprising that my last job (3 years ago now) was an IT Support Analyst. I also enjoy reading in bed (Sci-fi/Fantasy, usually JRR Tolkein, Terry Pratchett, L. Ron Hubbard, Eoin Colfer), Sudoku, Cryptic Crosswords and puzzles (I can also do the Rubik's cube in about 3 mins).

Three years ago, I started getting sharp pain in my ankles while walking. I don't drive, and I used to think nothing of walking 20 miles, so this worried me. My wife was pregnant with our 3rd son at the time, and suffered from SPD during the pregnancy, so I walked the older 2 kids to school and back every day, but toward the end of the pregnancy, I was finding it more and more difficult and painful to do this.

Luckily, when our 3rd son was born, my wife's SPD virtually vanished, as my condition worsened. I was soon getting pain in my knees, and then soon after, my wrists and hips. My GP was baffled, sending me for the normal blood-tests and X-rays (which all showed nothing wrong). My wife suggested Fibromyalgia to him, and he said it was a possibility (this was 2 years ago!) He eventually gave up, referring me to Rheumatology. They Ummed and Ahhed, did more tests, and still nothing showed up. Following a particularly painful worse-than-migraine headache, I ended up in hospital, where they did and MRI and Lumbar Puncture - still showing nothing wrong. I was sent to Orthopaedics, who just passed me back to Rheumatology. I saw a Podiatrist, who gave me insoles for fallen arches on my feet, but that didn't help the pain.

I was finally diagnosed with Fibromyalgia yesterday, during a visit to the Pain Clinic (referred by my GP). I was given my diagnosis within 10 minutes, following a conversation and a quick poke in 'tender points'. I really wish this could have been done 3 years ago!

My wife supports me wonderfully, but I see her doing so much (with 3 kids too), and feel guilty when I am unable to help, even with simple housework. I try to let her have a lie-in as often as I can, and cook meals when I am able, but at times like tonight, when I have overwhelming dizzyness and nausea, pretty much all I can do is lie down.

These days, I use a wheelchair to go shopping, and can rarely move around the house without using a walking stick. I used to be pretty active, but now struggle to walk 100 yards. I realise now that I'm stuck with this pain for life, and I have joined this forum in the hope of finding ways to help me cope, and maybe to cry on the shoulder of someone who knows what the pain is like.
Jamdog
UKFM Newbie

Postby sparkey » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:32 pm

Hi stefan

Welcome to the site, if u ask a question you will get plenty of opinions, and some good advice, look around the treatments, and the other links, you will find some good tips, the virtual coffee and cake can help in the café, we dont have much to enjoy, so make the most of it.
sparkey
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:01 pm

Hi Stefan and welcome to the forum, hope you find us helpful and friendly (((xxx)))

Any questions, just ask and someone will be along to help.

Gill x
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby Lesley Doyle » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:04 pm

Hi and Welcome to the forum, everybody is so friendly and they are so helpful :D
Lesley Doyle
UKFM Member

Postby RobG » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:39 am

Hi Stefan,

welcome and good to see another Terry Pratchett lover,

Hi Ann

Keep laughing it has kept me going (or was that the prunes?)

Hi Sarah

I have not long gone through the 'little chat' stage for the council I used to work at. It wasnt productive the words reasonable and adjustment seem not to be in their vocab as for being a two tick authority I will say no more! But keep on at them the Equaility and Human right Commission are very helpful and nice.

And I would like to thank my mother, sister hairdresser .... no hold on thats the other speech

Rob
when I die I want it to be in my sleep like my grandad not screaming and shouting like the passengers on the bus he was driving!
RobG
UKFM Member

Postby angel55 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:09 am

hi, im angie im 55 and divorced with 7 kids ages 34 down to 16, yes we did have a tv just other things were ermmmm more interesting..lol i was diagnosed on may 30th as having this delightful fibro plus osteoarthritis, though i had been in pain for the last 3 years, which my doctor said was old age!! cheeky devil i was only 52 when i started.
i love knitting which is becoming increasingly difficult with my stiff little fingers ( sure thats a group or a song) i spend time with my mad kids and 3 grandkids, i used to love wlakign but thats gettign difficult now as well ahh well must battle on .lol this site has helped and made me see that a lot of things i was experiencing were all part of the fibro so thanks to you all.
angie
angel55
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:59 am

gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby MISS BUNNYPENNY » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:44 pm

coventry brittle kid
I LIKE WALKING IN THE RAIN -NO 1 SEES YOUR TEARS
LORD=keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth....AMEN
Sarcasm-Its beats killing people/
Just when I was getting used to yesterday,along came today.
MISS BUNNYPENNY
UKFM Regular

Postby RobG » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:04 am

when I die I want it to be in my sleep like my grandad not screaming and shouting like the passengers on the bus he was driving!
RobG
UKFM Member

Postby MartinFru » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:58 pm

Hi my name is Martin.
I have been married for 20yrs to Karan ( known to friends as Fru )
I am now 42 yrs old and diagnosed with FMS 3 yrs ago, although we can trace symptoms back a lot further.
Fru and I have 3 children Richard 17, Rebecca 15 and Rachel 13.
Three cats, Dizzy, Mary and Queeney.
I do not know what I would do without the support of all my family, Fru is my rock, best friend and I love and respect her more and more as time goes on.I wish I could show her more how much I love her but that's another subject for another time.
I never realised how much I could waffle on..............
Thanks Martin.
MartinFru
UKFM Newbie

Postby MISS BUNNYPENNY » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:12 pm

Hi martin I think this is my first hello to you bit confused today but welcome all the same .>
PS that robs a a right nutty shhhhhhhhhh :lol:
coventry brittle kid
I LIKE WALKING IN THE RAIN -NO 1 SEES YOUR TEARS
LORD=keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth....AMEN
Sarcasm-Its beats killing people/
Just when I was getting used to yesterday,along came today.
MISS BUNNYPENNY
UKFM Regular

Postby petrina » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:41 am

pmm** :)
petrina
UKFM Member

Postby gilly54 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:44 pm

Hi I'm Gilly ( think I might have started off in the wrong part of the forum, typical me :lol: )
I'm 54 later this month. I live with my partner and youngest son ( 28 yr old who is my main carer), 2 dogs and a loopy cat.
I got my diagnosis in Jan 1995 after being ill for a while. Bad timing as we'd just moved on to a narrowboat with the crazy idea of fitting the inside ourselves then drifting off around the country for as long as we wanted. Gave up and sold the boat nearly 10 yrs later after not getting far at all :(
I use a mobility scooter or power chair to go out on as this gives me enough independence to go do a little shopping sometimes and pretend I'm 'normal' though I'm so exhausted when I come home after about an hour, that I can't do anything else the rest of the day.
My youngest and my partner are both very supporting to me and I really don't think I'd cope without them. The rest of the family don't really understand as they've never had to live with me since I've been ill. My eldest does try to understand though.
Are you still awake? :lol:
I love art, photography, rock music and chocolate :P

Gilly
gilly54
UKFM Member

Nice to meet you all

Postby della » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:18 pm

Live life to the full, you never know what's around the corner.
della
UKFM Newbie

Postby gillshutt » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:23 pm

gillshutt
UKFM Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Where to Say Hello