[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Saying Hello

Saying Hello

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Saying Hello

Postby Adie hawkeye » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:24 pm

A big Hi to everyone
My name is Adie I am 46 ( I think ) going on 21 well in my mind atleast I have been suffering with severe gout attacks for many years now, about 7 years back I started having tests for possibly carbon monoxide poisoning (mild) or possibly ME. Shortly after this I went to Australia where I stayed with some friends and ended up working in the rain forest looking after the fauna and flora for that part of the rain forest, funny enough I did not get ill or suffer one single gout attack in the whole time that I was there ?

On returning to the UK because of personal reasons of looking after my step son I had parted from his mum a few years before going to Oz but he left home and needed support I got leave from my job and was told that they would keep it open for me. After a year of being back in the UK and working two jobs HGV Driver and bank working for the NHS as a paramedic I started to realise that I was starting to get gout attacks especially in my knees and ankles.

My doc reffered me to a rhuematologist who gave me the real good news that due to the wear and tear (a few years playing football professionally and then being a fire fighter )and if I am honest being a big lad had taken there toll and I had severe Osteoarthritis.
Further tests found out that I had a bad gene in my body that somehow changed the way my body dealt with chemicals pushing my uric acid levels sky high and of course causing really acute attacks of gout.

Another round of tests concluded that the previous illness that I had suffered several years back were in fact not ME but acute fibromyalgia. In the last two and half years I have gone from one of the most out going living life to full person who would go fishing , just take of on a drive to cornwall if I fancied to being a person who very rarely leaves his home and then when I do I am all to aware of the nice people that there are out there and the delight they seem to take in others misfortune.

I am in constant pain have been through pillar and post with so many different medications like duloxetine that caused me to sit on my bed under and umbrella because the hallucination that I was experiencing was so real to me that I believed it was actually raining in my bedroom. I thought that there was various animals in the garden (pink elephants included ) to flash backs of Road traffic accidents that I had attended either as a fire fighter or paramedic questioning my very soul as to could I have done better should that little boy not have died ?

I was then put on pentagablin now as I have already said I am a big lad and have always had to work really hard to keep my weight down and my fitness up for both football and fire fighting. Where others would do 30 mins in the gym I would have to do and hour or more so as you can imagine with the help of the medication in particular pentagabin my weight has just ballooned and ballooned I cant do exercise as I am so much pain all the time diets well just dont seem to work ?

I recently have been changed to pregablin again another tab to cause weight gain (Yea like I need that ) I have also found myself being so lethargic and thinking is this it has my life gone full circle already ? then I realised that pregablin has the ability or atleast the side effects of all the above.

I am so so so fed up with all this and if I am honest with you all at my witts end my doc keeps suggesting stomach reducing operation although this really pee's me off as I need knee replacements but they wont do this as I am so heavy I am a real risk under anaesthetic but obivously not for the weight reduction operation??????

Just to add to everything I am about to go through the humiliating round of medicals and questionaires from our wonderful government as they still seem to think I am able to work if that was the case trust me I would be straight back to Australia so its back to the job centre and then on to the ATOSS medicals allover again I would love to hear from people who I know are suffering just like me I really am at my witts end
PS SORRY FOR GOING ON SO LONG

Adie x
Last edited by denys on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: broken down into smaller paragraphs for easier reading
Adie hawkeye
UKFM Member

Re: Saying Hello

Postby LouLou » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi Adie

:welcome: to the forum.

You certainly have an interestin story. I wish I could type more of a reply but I'm feeling a bad pain day which has made my brain go all foggy aswell. I just wanted to make sure someone welcomed you to our litle world.

I hope to come back on later and type more of a reply to you Adie.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:33 pm

:welcome: to the forum Adie

Sorry to hear you are struggling with your weight, that is a problem for many sufferers as lots of the meds we are on have weight gain listed as side affects. :twisted: We have a thread going on the forum about it so have a peep.

We have lots of info on Atos and there have been many having to go for medicals and appeals so you will find lots of info and support on here, have a look around and any questions just ask. :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:53 pm

Hi Adie and :welcome: to the forum I have broken your post down into smaller chunks as we fibromites have problems with large blocks of text
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby LouLou » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:55 am

Hi again Adie

Again apologies for not posting a better response to your post yesterday, my head was so foggy I couldn't even remember who I was lol.

As I said you really do have an interesting life story, working in Australia in the rainforest sounds absoluetly amazing and I bet you have some great stories from your experiences.

Like you, I used to be really active, gym 4 times a week for 2-3 hours and I loved it. Then FM struck me and that was it. Since I had to stop going to the gym I noticed the weight pile on slightly, I've always had a healthy and varied diet and I wasn't eating more that normal - if anything I was eating less as the pain made me less hungry. Then I realised it was the meds and I was on pregablin at the time. I told my GP I didn't like being on it because of the weight gain so he took me off them. Maybe you could try and ask your GP if they could swap you to something else that doesn't have weight gain as a side effect.

In terms in exercise you are not alone. I can't do very much these days but I do try and get out for a walk once a day/3-4 times a week though that's been harder with the weather lately. I also do some stretches my physio taught me and along with making a few small changes to my diet I think I am on an even track now.

I know how frustrating it is to gain weight and not be able to do alot about it, there are a lot of us on here who have that problem so you're not alone.

Take Care
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Return to Where to Say Hello