[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - My Introduction & My Story - Please share your stories too!

My Introduction & My Story - Please share your stories too!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

My Introduction & My Story - Please share your stories too!

Postby cocobella » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:07 pm

[color=#000040]Hello Everyone. :-D :-D
Last edited by cocobella on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cocobella
UKFM Member

Re: My Introduction & My Story - Please share your stories t

Postby cocobella » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:10 pm

I forgot to add that I know hundreds of people are going through a lot worse than my little 'drop in the ocean' story above lol. x
cocobella
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:15 pm

:welcome: to the forum cocobella

I had a quick glance through your post but it was to long for me to read it all in one go, my head is very mushy and foggy tonight :facepalm: :facepalm: so i will just :welcome: you for now and come back to your post later. :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:01 pm

:welcome: to our little sanctuary cocobella :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

You'll find lots of info and advice on here, incl lots about how people have found themselves part of the club and made their way here. If you have a look round the boards and use the search box that is in the top right hand corner of each page, you'll find all sorts of things that could be of interest and/or helpful to you.

I have to admit that I've had to come back several times to read all of what you have said so far. If you do decide to share all parts of your story with us, we might need to have it serialised so we can find our way thru it all :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It does take a while to take everything in and get used to it when you are first dx'd with FM. We usually suggest that people take things day~by~day as it can help make things that little bit easier to deal with. At the point of your journey you currently find yourself at, quite often people find themselves looking at possible future scenarios, dwelling on how things used to be for them, which can make everything seem like it is falling in on them and there doesn't seem to be any way out of it for them.

It's not really possible for anyone to say why you, or anyone of us has developed FM at the moment because very little definite info like this is known about the condition. There are many, many ideas, and looking on here, as well as other similar sites, there is potential evidence from numerous FM~ers that can support these ideas as what causes it, why some may be more likely to develop the condition. The same applies to the vague and unpredictable nature it has, along with why it affects some of us in certain ways, whilst others are affected in a completely different way :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: The best we can at the moment is keep bouncing our thoughts about and hope that, as research delves further and further into the fabric of the condition, we will eventually get these answers that we all are desperate for.

FM seems to have been around for a good number of years, and has been known by different names incl rheumatism, fibrositis. I can remember from a young age that my nan would often complain about her rheumatics and thinking back, a lot of what she used to say she was experiencing tallies with what I have symptoms~wise.

As for family and friends and others not understanding things, unfortunately that is something that most of us have discovered is the case. If you want to try and explain things to there, there are some thing on here that might help. There is The Spoon Theoryhttp://www.butyoudontlooksick.com ... Theory.pdf One To Show The Non Beleivers viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4732 plus these sheets that have come from a members GP viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16501 You could have a look at them and maybe print some stuff up for them to have a read at and see how things go with them understanding things a little more.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby cocobella » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:16 pm

Thank you FluppyPuffy. :-) and hello!! Haha I had to laugh at you saying my full story would have to be serialised!! you are correct :-). No wonder nobody else has said hello :-P.

Thanks so much for the links, they are really helpful and I will be sure to show this to friends/fam. It is good to know there are others in the same situation.

:-P
cocobella
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:33 pm

Hi and :welcome: to the forum, sorry I have had to read your post in a couple of goes as I couldnt take it all in either, hope things continue to improve for you and you manage to get back into your job, some of us have periods of remission and as you are so young :fingerscrossed: you will too but we are here and will be anytime you need us :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:37 am

Hi Cocobell , Sorry meeting you is under such circumstances but welcome to our merry band of Fibro sufferers. :welcome:

I was dx just over a year ago (how time flies when your having fun :roll: ) and have been off on long term sick leave since the end of May 2012. I have now given up the idea of going back to work as I couldn't manage the responsibility , or the time keeping or anything else that goes with working in a busy office environment. To tell the truth it was my HR department who really decided it for me. I'm just agreeing .....so I have a final medical with the Occupational Health bods of Friday and if they agree then I sign a few papers and it out the door.

'fraid to say I also had difficulty with reading your life story :oops: :oops: mainly cause I can't keep my concetration on long pieces of writing. I really hate it as I was always an avid reader and often managed on holiday to get through a book every day or two much to the disgust of my husband as it meant I brought loads of books in my case and once ended up payng excess luggage !
He then brought me a kindle which is great, as I can dip in and out as I like and also make the font bigger which helps with the reading. Although even it has been in a bedside cabinet for the last 6 months

Anyway , hope you enjoy the site there is loads of info ( just dip in and out as there is way to much for one sitting) and there are some wonderful folk who are always there for a chat or to offer a a shoulder to cry on :cry: :cry: if things get bad.

Take care :flowers: :flowers:

gentle Hugs :hugs: :hugs:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby clsmbenn » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:39 pm

:welcome: cocobella

like u, i was only recently diagnosed in March after suffering 20 plus years of chronic back pain.

i try and come on this site regularly as its very informative and with being new have asked a few questions along the way.

i am unable to work at all, i did go back after being out of work for 8 yr, but decided i needed to get back to it, but after 2 and half years and couldnt cope, was getting too tired and was always sleeping which was no good with kids to look after and my back was in constant pain and still is. luckily i have a supportive family and my hubby helps me loads and my eldest is learning to cook, so he helps at meal times.

anyway, really hope everything works out for you and you can continue to work.

take care and gentle hugs.
clsmbenn
UKFM Member

Postby cocobella » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:28 pm

Thanks everyone for your welcomes :-) I really appreciate them. Again, I am sorry for the LONGGG intro :oops:. I really was on a role though once I got started and felt I shouldn't miss out important details. Definitely going to fish about the forums for some advice/support etc.

Thank you :)

Coco x
cocobella
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:00 pm

Just ask if there's anything you want to know about Coco and we'll try to direct you in the right direction of an answer. If we can't send you towards a right answer, then we'll try to make sure it's somewhere nice with plenty of [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate]

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:09 pm

or :twodrinking1: :twodrinking1: :twodrinking1: :twodrinking1: :twodrinking1: :twodrinking1: :twodrinking2: :twodrinking2: :twodrinking2: :twodrinking2: :twodrinking2: :twodrinking2: if thats your tonic :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:47 pm

What a couple of years you've had Cocobella , its no wonder you are feeling down at times , just one of those life events you mention would be enought to set anyone off .

Never heard of your thyroid thing but must be a real drag having to get tested every 6 months , must be a worry as well.
Glad you and BF have managed to work things out, even if he has taken himself off to Asia, maybe it was for the best as it gives you a chance to get on top of things before he comes back.

I wouldn't worry about what work collegues might say , you have had a genuine run of bad luck and ill health and are therefore entitled to your time off. Are you in a probationary period in your new job at all ? if so and your time off might be a problem it might be worth while talking to your HR folk to see if they could either extend it or discuss how they might treat you sick leave . If they are a bit "funny" I would let them know that you are suffering from a disabilty that you have just been dx with and as such it should come under reasonable adjustment . You shouldn't be penalised for taking time off due to a disability.

Good luck with the new job and hope it works out and you settle into it a bit more when you health picks up .

Take care ....told you I would read your first post again when I didn't have my fibro head on! :lol:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby cocobella » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:49 am

Thank you iceskatemum. :-) it has been tough. Luckily I work for the nhs and had previous service, so my new job doesnt have a probationary perood as such. :-) they have.considered reasonable adjustments so fingers crossed when I return things will go well. Whats your story? Xx
cocobella
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:32 pm

Hi cocobella

Sorry for welcoming you a bit later, like the others it took me a few attempts to read your post, but that's what I'm like this week - one of those weeks lol.

Like you I had a period of my life, about a year, where everything that could go wrong did go wrong and I was under a hell of a lot of stress/pressure. And my GP believes this started my FM, though looking back before that horrendous year I had FM symptoms before like fatigue, pain that just wouldn't ease off etc.

In the space of a year me and my OH parted ways for about a month to figure things out (we'd been together 5 years at that point) I moved home to my parents, I was made redundant, my mum and Grandad were seriously ill in hospital, I had a car crash and then when me and OH decided to get back together we went on a holiday to Zante only to have 2 Emergency landings on the flight home where the engines cut out completely. You know it's serious when the second you land the pilot rushes into the loo and you can hear him throwing up!

So that's a bit of my story as requested lol. All in all things are great now, me and Oh are getting married in Zante in August, my mum and Grandad are much better (though Grandad still struggles) and I am in a job where my boss is so understanding of me having FM. I work 30 hours a week in Finance so it's office based which suits me and having FM, though I still have bad days/weeks. Like you I really suffer with my legs and sometimes find they are really weak and shaky especially when I walk down stairs. I go for regular walks with my dog and this has helped build the strength up in my legs a bit, but as for the pain sometimes I wish I could just chop my legs off lol. I use hot water bottles lined up on them when they hurt and my electric blanket in bed is my lifesaver!

Since having FM I've found that any sort of situation which adds a bit of worry/stress to my life will also affect my FM so I try really hard not to get too worked up over things, especially things I have no control over. Easier said than done sometimes lol

Anyway :welcome: and I look forward to learning more of your story. It sometimes may take a bit longer for someone to reply to a post as we are all suffering with the same illness but we always try and welcome everyone.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby cocobella » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:03 pm

cocobella
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Where to Say Hello