[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - New to forum! New to Fibro!

New to forum! New to Fibro!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby Bexbexbex » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:19 pm

Hi I'm Bex,

I've just been newly diagnosed with Fibro and I'm only 23. I've been having these symptoms for about 3 years now.
My consultant sent me for bloods X-rays MRI and a bone scan as he thinks there is something else going on including hypermobile joints.

Just wondering if anyone else has been sent for this variety of scans?
I had been hoping to go to college this year and then uni but I'm scared that my pain will stop me. He is thinking it's either osteoarthritis/rhumetoid athritius or lupus aswell as my fibromyalgia.

Any advice most welcome, don't usually use forum but decided to take the plunge as I can empathise with everyone and everyone seems so friendly.

Also is it worth the £1.49 for the app for this forum ;) just wondering before I download it :)

Many thanks :-D
Bexbexbex
UKFM Member

Re: New to forum! New to Fibro!

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:39 am

:welcome:

Fibro can come hand in hand with many of its associated conditions like that of lupus/oesteoarthritis.

The doctors on many cases do like to aliminate everything before fibro is diagnosed so you may go through lots of tests like you said.

ALthough fibro itself does not show up in any tests.

You have probably been through all these tests also if doctor suspects something else going on.

I had my bloods done and a tender/trigger point test.

Lots of advice and support here :-D well worth 1.49 ;-) although i dont have a phone that downloads so cannot give advice on the app :crazy:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:21 pm

:welcome: to the wonderful world of fibro Bex :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: You're in for an eventful ride, some of it will be a bit bumpy, but there is always a little light along the way :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

If the app you are meaning is TapATalk, then IMO it is very worth the cost. I have it on both my phone and my tablet and use it a heck of a lot when I don't have lappy access. There are coloured versions of it available as well (I've got red on my phone and pink on my tablet :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: ) but they cost a little more.

It's not unusual for someone to be sent for additional tests, scans etc as part of the dx~ing process. As Lisa has said, there may be signs of an associated condition that the consultant wants to check out. Plus they help with ruling out other possibilities that show up in tests that also share very similar symptoms with FM.

Altho you have FM, there is a good chance that you can still start college this year and eventually go to uni. Colleges etc have Student Disability Advisers and policies in place to help students with illnesses and disabilities with their work. The help can range from being given extra time for completing assignments thru to access to additional equipment to help with studying, it all depends what the individual needs.

Anything you want to know, just ask as you've probably got a squillion and one things whirling around your mind at the moment, and we'll try to help you with it :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Bexbexbex » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:15 pm

Thank you so much for replying.

Yeah he done the test where he presses areas of my body and all of them hurt so he automatically said fibro, couldn't believe it that I finally had a name to what in experiencing and now to know that it's not all in my head!

Trying to explain it to family and trying to get people to understand has been difficult.
I've had bloods, X-rays, and a bone scan, still waiting on my MRI. Saw things on the bone scan that's made me really nervous.

We were signing on JSA, but I've signed off now and going onto ESA, trying to get it through to my doc how bad I'm feeling is difficult as I usually just 'bottle things up' and 'get on with it' but my pain is getting to the point where I can't do that.

I think I'm gonna download the app, much easier than using my browser on my phone.
I think I'll be on here a lot now :) so many nice folk and good advice :)
Bexbexbex
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Writing things down that you want to talk to your GP about can help with getting across how you're feeling as you can just hand them your sheet to read and then take things from there. It's something a lot of us do as it can also help with remembering stuff as well.

I find using my phone browser a pain on here as well, which was what made me go for the app. The only thing wrong with the app, for me at least, is the smilies, or lack of them as we have quite an interesting collection of them on here, whereas the ones in the app are the more usual ones, so no :f1-car: :dogrun1: :bear-dancing: :penguin: :cow-wave: :chicken-dance: :horse_running: :sheep: :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Bexbexbex » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:34 pm

That's a brilliant idea! I'll start writing things on a day to day basis to show my gp, thanks :) sometimes the foggy brain lasts longer than expected.

I have downloaded the app but still learning how to use it hehe!

I just dread the slow process of trying to convince my gp how bad my pain is. My consultant is wonderfully efficient but doesn't quite get through to the gp.

So nervy about my ESA and DLA applications. Not getting any money coming in at all so hoping it all hurrys up lol xxxx thanks for replying :)
Bexbexbex
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:07 pm

Hi Bex :welcome: to the forum :wave:

We have lots of info on ESA and DLA on here as many of us are fighting it so any questions or info have a look in the working & benefits section. :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Bexbexbex » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:12 pm

Hi Shaz! Xxxx
Bexbexbex
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:27 am

Hi and :welcome: to the forum Bex :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:24 pm

If the fog is in full effect Bex, be prepared for things to take a little longer to sink in and make sense....all part of the fun of FM I'm afraid :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Where to Say Hello